Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

Mustawd

I already like this better than Eternity.
Yeah it basically does everything Josh wanted to do, except it does it in a way that doesn't break fun.

Also some of the dialog is and descriptions are awesome. Hand reading notes and books that actually matter and aren't just crappy fluff lore about places with weird names. So far no exposition dump, people you meet more less talk like people not information booths.

My main complaints for now is A.) Can't un-select a stat choice once you click on it. B.) Manual doesn't have a PDF version I can put on my ereader ffs, really annoying me.

A.) Guess I hadn't noticed that

B.) Same here..two of the manual pages don't even load for me (I think it's 41 and 42 or 43 and 44).

And to add..

C.) I feel like combat responsiveness in the form of a nimations or sounds could be much better. Right now it's serviceable with the combat log.

Overall, having tons of fun. Combat is tough, and was starting to piss me off until I got the hang of it. Just like the older games that didn't hold your hand. And I'll also echo the Ultima and slight Fallout vibe some people have mentioned.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I already like this better than Eternity.
Yeah it basically does everything Josh wanted to do, except it does it in a way that doesn't break fun.

Also some of the dialog is and descriptions are awesome. Hand reading notes and books that actually matter and aren't just crappy fluff lore about places with weird names. So far no exposition dump, people you meet more less talk like people not information booths.

My main complaints for now is A.) Can't un-select a stat choice once you click on it. B.) Manual doesn't have a PDF version I can put on my ereader ffs, really annoying me.
A) Click on it again

Darkion

Augur
B.) Same here..two of the manual pages don't even load for me (I think it's 41 and 42 or 43 and 44).

Sometimes the pages turn too fast. If you are missing a page just hit the back button and it will be there.

Mustawd

Did you guys dig up the graves?

I couldn't help myself :oops:

totally :)...weirdly enough tho...

The first time I approached the large grave site, a band of grave diggers approached me and gave me a dialogue choice to help them dig or not. I refused, was attacked, and died. Anyhow, I reloaded and made my way back to the large grave sight...and nothing...no more grave diggers..just me and the graves. Anyone else experience this?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I played this on Friday for a few hours and it's really cool. The combat is deadly and the world and stuff like the aptitudes are great. Too bad about the bugginess; hopefully they'll fix it soon.

I wonder why not even RPS picked up on the game's release, given that they did post about it back in March. (Though again, given the bugs, perhaps it's for the better. Maybe they will review it once the bugs are gone and/or the free expansion comes out.)

TigerKnee

Arcane

The first time I approached the large grave site, a band of grave diggers approached me and gave me a dialogue choice to help them dig or not. I refused, was attacked, and died. Anyhow, I reloaded and made my way back to the large grave sight...and nothing...no more grave diggers..just me and the graves. Anyone else experience this?
Not the same quest, but I had different group of NPC disappear entirely after doing the exact same thing.

Not sure whether this is a bug or if I triggered some kind of extremely meta gameplay decision.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Not the same quest, but I had different group of NPC disappear entirely after doing the exact same thing.

Not sure whether this is a bug or if I triggered some kind of extremely meta gameplay decision.
I think you guys need to report this. Devs are super active on Steam forums in their non sleep times (they are in USA I think), any bug reports or suggestions for improvements are read and responded there.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My main complaints for now is A.) Can't un-select a stat choice once you click on it.
Including Mustawd

I thought so too, but there is a reset button for both skill points and and base stats. You click the plus sign to start distributing points, and then either click the checkmark sign to confirm or the reset button, to reset one or both points you've distributed with the X button. That button isn't mentioned in the manual though.

I37J5YH.jpg

BTW patch 5 is out.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So I am doing the quest where you need to draw blood runes... I got the runes, but Vasile gave me two identical ones... The second obviously being something else.

:rage:

So now I just randomly draw runes till I get the right one, I guess?

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I am doing the quest where you need to draw blood runes... I got the runes, but Vasile gave me two identical ones... The second obviously being something else.

:rage:

So now I just randomly draw runes till I get the right one, I guess?
Report it on Steam or their forums so they can put the fix into next patch.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012

I think you guys need to report this. Devs are super active on Steam forums in their non sleep times (they are in USA I think), any bug reports or suggestions for improvements are read and responded there.
I noticed that reloading the game spawns different encounters. So it might be a feature.

Early_Grave

Barely Literate
Is it possible to min max the starting stats, or are they all locked at 10 points with only two points left to distribute? I can't seem to find a way to lower them..

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
What the fuck do i suppose to do to enter the docks in Corem? Nobody wants to speak with me.

So i just killed everyone, found what the game wanted me to find. Now the rest of the town (a few, who did not storm into the massive battle) kinda start combat but don't do anything. Counstable does not give a shit, like the other survivors. 10/10 for solution freedom i guess. 30 sailors/dock workers/guild sorcerers could not even damage my 2 AC 11+ guys - bodies everywhere, ground full of loot.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I noticed that reloading the game spawns different encounters. So it might be a feature.
I doubt it. More like technical limitation they didn't solve before the release. It should be reported to them.

Stompa

Arcane
Random thoughts after a couple of hours:

- Aptitudes are fun, fun, fun. Rat diplomacy is present, stealing stats from NPC sounds great (although that one is weird at the moment since stolen stats don't count for the purposes of skill\magic tiers).
- Characters rushing to the enemies even when party AI is set on Passive is incredibly annoying. I don't think it's triggered by hostile targeting since half of the time monsters like to go straight for my mage.
- Not really sold on most of the magic being modal with a huge-ass windup time, basically locks one guy into healing one other guy with no deviations, switching targets for healing mid-combat won't help for shit. Same for offensive spells, do this one thing the whole combat or else. Maybe this will change at higher levels, I dunno.
- Setting so far is more interesting than Generic Fantasy Shebang №614515873
- Small durations for buffing skills like Rally\Warcry are hella gay. They reach 12 seconds at best and will proc only on combat start, meaning you barely get to enjoy their benefits. If those durations were keyed to an attribute like Arcane Strike spell, it'd be better somewhat.
- Shit's deadly, yo. Pretty nice like that, even though combat kinda suffers from "heal the tank, spank with the rest" syndrome.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Random thoughts after a couple of hours:

- Aptitudes are fun, fun, fun. Rat diplomacy is present, stealing stats from NPC sounds great (although that one is weird at the moment since stolen stats don't count for the purposes of skill\magic tiers).
- Characters rushing to the enemies even when party AI is set on Passive is incredibly annoying. I don't think it's triggered by hostile targeting since half of the time monsters like to go straight for my mage.
- Not really sold on most of the magic being modal with a huge-ass windup time, basically locks one guy into healing one other guy with no deviations, switching targets for healing mid-combat won't help for shit. Same for offensive spells, do this one thing the whole combat or else. Maybe this will change at higher levels, I dunno.
- Setting so far is more interesting than Generic Fantasy Shebang №614515873
- Small durations for buffing skills like Rally\Warcry are hella gay. They reach 12 seconds at best and will proc only on combat start, meaning you barely get to enjoy their benefits. If those durations were keyed to an attribute like Arcane Strike spell, it'd be better somewhat.
- Shit's deadly, yo. Pretty nice like that, even though combat kinda suffers from "heal the tank, spank with the rest" syndrome.
You should report all this on their forums or Steam. I don't know if they have the time to read this topic at the moment with all the bug fixing and other stuff. This all sounds like stuff they might possible change or tweak.

roshan

Arcane
Please enlighten me you two hardcore gamers. xdx and aps equals dps. Its all there. You think yo get some coolness bonus if you insist less information is better? Yeah, dumbfuck indeed.

You are fucking stupid if you think that 4d3 and 4-12 are the same thing. Seriously, go get tested for retardation.

Athelas

Arcane
Probably not from a pure probability perspective, but I don't think there's any meaningful differences for gameplay.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Please enlighten me you two hardcore gamers. xdx and aps equals dps. Its all there. You think yo get some coolness bonus if you insist less information is better? Yeah, dumbfuck indeed.

You are fucking stupid if you think that 4d3 and 4-12 are the same thing. Seriously, go get tested for retardation.
Players don't care for exact probabilities. 4-12 is enough of information.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Fuldea Mare is broken as hell. Crawlers are broken too, bloody one-shotting buggers (how suitably Codexian...)

Free travel is great, but it does result in quite a bit of out of sequence problems. I have no clue where I should go now. I know who is who, but I have no option for confronting them (besides straight on slaughtering them).

Also this:
E6D847FF4793DE18122C8D8C3B021B2CF8329356

1598A060DC5E2B2C2FB7DE6F1E2654286376F4DF

9AE849A310801538C90B4C853665D9D01944CC02

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom