Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

The Fish

Arcane
Jesus christ. I finally completed it. It suggests there will be an expansion.

It thanks the RPGcodex in the credits.
Are there tough encounters where you have to switch spells/skills?
Are there some complex branching quests?

Your choice in the bloodless quest effects the ending so there's some c&c I suppose. Most of the distinct quests are fairly short and simple but the whole game feels like one large quest because you get pulled all over the place by npcs drip feeding you information.

Edit: the combat becomes trivial once you invest in the attack speed and poison skills. I didn't often cast anything after I realised that. The bespoke harvester armour is overpowered as well.

The 20+ hours estimate might be generous but I did spend a lot of time messing about not really making progress and being held back by bugs.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Are there tough encounters where you have to switch spells/skills?
Are there some complex branching quests?

Your choice in the bloodless quest effects the ending so there's some c&c I suppose. Most of the distinct quests are fairly short and simple but the whole game feels like one large quest because you get pulled all over the place by npcs drip feeding you information.

Edit: the combat becomes trivial once you invest in the attack speed and poison skills. I didn't often cast anything after I realised that.

The 20+ hours estimate might be generous but I did spend a lot of time messing about not really making progress and being held back by bugs.
Do you feel like you done everything?
Do you feel you can do stuff differently in second play?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You can get a look at the second rune by killing the bloodless hunters in the ista cale camp as they drop it. There's the same etching you're missing in one of the ruins areas (ista cale one I think). You'll have to have high philosophy to access the door. The etchings didn't help me much though and I just put put in random things to open the portal.

Eh. I found one of the runes in a ruin, required philosophy 4 to get in. But... IT WAS THE SAME RUNE I GOT ALREADY TWICE. FFS game.

I opened the portal within a few minutes of playing.

left book circle clockwise from 12 o'clock

Right book line srright down from top center.

Sounds like I have no business being there and lucked into my death.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I've played 23 hours so far, I think I've done 70-80% of the full game? Basically missing The Tower, Emerald Metalis/Natives, Fuldea Mare, Ista Cale Consil.

Tons of loose ends tho, like:
- What to do with the wounded child
- Where to get the incantation for fairy rings

ArchAngel

Arcane
Now on steamspy (warning for the faint hearted):

http://steamspy.com/app/335120
Considering this game was made with 28 000 by 1000 backers those are not bad stats after 3 days and they don't include GoG which was default for people that didn't specify (meaning that most people on Steam bought it). Once it is patched and expansion and sales and there is any marketing, the game will sell a lot more. I am sure they will be able to gather more money than they got on KS and make a bigger game next.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

You know the kickstarter stretch goal might have suggested there will be an expansion ;)

Ninjerk

Arcane
They're raffling a 9.99 GOG gift code somehow. I think you join and type "!raffle"

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Odd choice. Handing out a few copies of the actual game would've been way better in terms of propanda.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The LP'er sounds really old-school and hardcore. So fitting she should LP the game for GOG's Twitch.

Mortmal

Arcane
It is hard to know with this game what is a bug and what is a feature :D
I think best thing is to report anything that feels like a bug as a bug.

Sadly yes, theres a lot of reports to do . At least its a pure computer rpg and they are fixing it really fast, i think people should post the bugs on their official forum. Usually I would not bother to help, but this game gets most things right , i'd rather see them succeed than see one of the rare team trying to make oldschool rpgs crash and burn .

Ninjerk

Arcane
Anyone else not able to enter the cave in "Woodlands Edge" map? Doesn't even highlight as a portal.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
8 hours in and I have to say that I'm a bit tired of all the filler combat areas.
My tank has 16 AC now (armor plus that shield stance lvl 3) and nothing except spells can hurt her. Most fights are very boring that way.
I really wish there was more story and less empty maps full of trash mobs because the combat doesn't really do it for me atm.
Kinda reminds me of Geneforge, nice pieces of lore here and there but way too much filler content in between.
It's nice that I can use aptitudes to talk to a rat or steal from NPCs but it's disappointing when it leads nowhere. Like with that rat in the first town. So it told me about those bandits hiding in a hut. So what? Would have found them anyway and no matter if I talked to the rat the only way to deal with them is hack them into pieces.
Or the goblin king (also first town) in that cave. What was that about? There is some bulletin board in the cave behind him but I can't read it.
Somewhere else in that cave there's a locked door (some riddle imp has the key) leading outside to a couple of dubious travellers at a campfire. Another dead end, the dialogue doesn't yield anything, better just kill them for loot and XP I guess.

Will continue playing it though, the boring trash mobs in the first batch of maps (everything "Lumen") will hopefully just be tutorial stuff. It gets more difficult again, right?

Btw, I start to believe that it would have made much more sense for me to save most of the early stat point gains for levels 3 onward when I can invest them into higher tier weapon skills and spells. Damn...

bugs and weird stuff (copypasta from my notes):
Padded Leather Armor (new) has +1 AC, description says +2.
Straight Edge New and Used seem to have stats swapped.
Arbiter Bronze Helm has wrong stats.
I think there are some more messed up equipment stat descriptions or allocations.
If I replace my equipped ranged weapon, its ammo refills to 100 while being moved in the group inventory.
Why are all the children grown up? Why do women look like men?

Last edited:

Mustawd

Will continue playing it though, the boring trash mobs in the first batch of maps (everything "Lumen") will hopefully just be tutorial stuff. It gets more difficult again, right?

More difficult? You damn min maxers...I LARPed my chargen, and ended up with a retardo build. So I'm barely surviving some of my combats with multiple mobs that hit hard. Took a break for work today, but will prolly be back at it this week. Debating if I should reroll a new party or what.

But I'm mostly annoyed at the bugs where I can't tell if quests are broken or what. Still, having fun with the atmosphere and setting.

Why are all the children grown up?

Realism. In today's SJW world an 18 year old man is considered a "kid". Also, cuz Two Person team. One of those reasons.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I already like this better than Eternity.
Yeah it basically does everything Josh wanted to do, except it does it in a way that doesn't break fun.

Also some of the dialog is and descriptions are awesome. Hand reading notes and books that actually matter and aren't just crappy fluff lore about places with weird names. So far no exposition dump, people you meet more less talk like people not information booths.

My main complaints for now is A.) Can't un-select a stat choice once you click on it. B.) Manual doesn't have a PDF version I can put on my ereader ffs, really annoying me.
A) Click on it again
Does that work during character creation?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a reset button during character creation
L2read

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Triggered.
bob.gif

agris

Arcane
Patron
you're an old man who's too drunk and blind to bother giving a fuck?

nice.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Anyone manage to get the smuggler signal working?

Yes. You found the signal from the dead caravan, right?

Don't have the password though, but I guess I'm not supposed to either.
LOL, I'm dumb. I got so caught up in identifying which runes were which letters that I didn't even look at the letters written on the map.

Perhaps another dumb Q: Is the orientation of the chalk rubbing in the "blood" tower non-obvious? I'm assuming the top of the rubbing corresponds with the direction of the door. How fucking frustrating is it trying to get the items to drop where you want them to? :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom