Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

da_rays

Augur
For thoses who like to play A La Johnny Cut-corner:
Once you're geared a bit ( AC 7+ and some decent weapon ) there is a group of bandits with a guy name Bronze face? something like that , located in a snowy ruin north of Lebez, cant remember the name of the place, but each guy are around 1K xp each , jumped from lvl 4 to 6 , almost to 7, with decent loot and even a magical crossbow.

Metaknowledge can get you far in this thing

Volken

Scholar
Yeah, xp gains are a bit unbalanced. Really easy enemies give tons of xp which makes me question the point of bothering with quests giving ~200xp. There is arena quest with crappy foes that got me 3 lvls worth of exp.

I'm 12hours into the game and my 3 tanks with 12ac+1d10 from shield stance (+shield bash and seismic crush) are unkillable for most enemies and deal enough dmg. So far making dedicated glasscannon melee is pointless. Enemy mages can deal some damage to my tanks but steady flow of fungal magic and protective zone from 2 occultism support mages trivializes any threat they pose.

On the other hand my offensive mages are almost worthless. Offensive magics need a serious buff to be worth casting over mongo smashing skulls.

I'm not sure I should play the game further as it's clearly in the early stages of balance.

Mortmal

Arcane
Anyone else not able to enter the cave in "Woodlands Edge" map? Doesn't even highlight as a portal.

Its a misplaced art asset, not a portal, joe just answered about it on forums.
Have you managed to use the cauldrons in the witch cave ? I suppose its a word of 3 letters but nothing works

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, xp gains are a bit unbalanced. Really easy enemies give tons of xp which makes me question the point of bothering with quests giving ~200xp. There is arena quest with crappy foes that got me 3 lvls worth of exp.

I'm 12hours into the game and my 3 tanks with 12ac+1d10 from shield stance (+shield bash and seismic crush) are unkillable for most enemies and deal enough dmg. So far making dedicated glasscannon melee is pointless. Enemy mages can deal some damage to my tanks but steady flow of fungal magic and protective zone from 2 occultism support mages trivializes any threat they pose.

On the other hand my offensive mages are almost worthless. Offensive magics need a serious buff to be worth casting over mongo smashing skulls.

I'm not sure I should play the game further as it's clearly in the early stages of balance.
Dev said on Steam they will do somethings about balancing offensive magic better.

Casualmidtier

Barely Literate
Nauseate is really fucking good, I think even better than rank 3 spells (haven't tried them much to be honest except for the aoe heal) since it appears to be unblockable damage and has an aoe for some reason, at least it let me hurt harvesters at low level and basically made the game trivial after I got some levels, 2 casters with only one of them with levels on nauseate killed crawlers in two-three ticks while my other guys ran around.

I completed the game in 16h~ after bumbling about finding quests and mostly killing people to solve them not because I wanted to but it was mostly the solution that seemed to remain, like for example with the shipping guild quest I thought I had to talk with the shipping guildmaster for access or to the rival merchant guild but after exhausting all the talking options the only thing left was dive in head first into the place where the corpse is, and the problem I had was that I wasn't sure if that was a bug, the intended solution or I was missing something, since I tried a lot of the environmental skills in stuff around the merchant leader, tried to talk to him with guys with other skills etc.

Other stuff like the problems with loading/saving and the environment, like when the npc in the cave under the first town dissapeared or I couldnt enter the arena in Corem after saving/loading, or like when the
octavian
ending borked the first time I did it, finished the fight and it didn't trigger the ending, luckily I reloaded did the sequence again and it worked.

Oh yeah and if you kill
Octavians sister
in Lev like I did (because as I said I just kinda killed all the guards around because they gave so much exp, found her and she left me no other option) you only get a letter to go to Fuldea mare (Im assuming you get directions if you go to her either from the tower or spice merchant) but I kept thinking it was the fuldea mare crossing and that it was a bug that
Octavian
wasnt there, had to scour the entire map before I found the place.

It's an okay game but I wouldn't recommend it until most bugs are fixed.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay, I've had enough for the moment.
Will put my playthrough on hold til some more bugs are crushed.
Or more precisely I won't pick it up again before Mind Crack isn't fixed. I have a whip and the skill both equipped and it still gives me the warning that it only works with whips. Tested it in the arena fight in Lebez and Pavel is not impressed, not at all. He gets whipped like crazy and yet he continues to cast his annoying spells. The text box to the left doesn't mention the skill either.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yea, this dev team is so small there is a small chance they find these kind of bugs themselves. They made this game too complex for their little team. They needed to do Early Access, it was basically made just for games like these so people help them with bug finding.

agris

Arcane
Patron
On the other hand, they're releasing patches quickly. Patch 6 is out!

Patch 6 primary updates include:

• Lumen Cavern location with island camera boundaries fixed along with save issue for character there (will retroactively fix your game if he was missing).
  • An issue with traps that could arise while detecting and disarming fixed
  • Conversation with Ista Cale constable fixed with accusation option ending correctly
  • Lev over-world ambush maps now always have Crawlers spawn correctly if chosen for ambush
  • Lev Soldier repeatable conversation fixed [Windows]
  • Given correct items by Hunters now when following that arc
  • Issues that could arise with Linguistics pick pocketing power words now working as intended
  • Pillar entrances near ruins now only open as intended
  • Polymorphing and moving between overworld (or loaded) maps triggers characters to return to normal first
  • Spell issue with Planar Jump for some players now resolved, skill points save correctly on level up
  • In westernmost lighthouse you can now leave through main door from the inside
  • Agile Fighting skill (when equipped) during level up now fixed
  • overall EXP reduction for killing enemies
  • small rebalance of some mid-late game enemies for added STR, DEX, OCC
Next Update will have some additional minor issues resolved, and some rebalancing which includes:

• overall less AC acquired by Shield Mastery — changing to a flat increase with 1d(Skill Point)
  • reducing spell buff potency from some like Amplify
  • more magic damage for damage dealing spells like Searing Light, healing spells effectiveness reduction
  • enemy rebalancing for more difficulty mid to late game
We’ll be making late game enemies more difficult in some various ways we’ll talk about in the patch notes, including doing increased overall damage to overcome higher potential AC numbers, having larger OCC resistances (like Vra and some sorcerers that are near impervious to magic), INT for offensive spell damage and more spell skills points for sorcerers, and overall higher PHYS dodge chances for late game characters. More details with next patch notes!

Cromwell

Arcane
So game is a biggy mess, are the bugs so annoying that I should wait or are they just a little annoyance here and there? So is it worth buying right now to start when I finish the witcher?

Mortmal

Arcane
So game is a biggy mess, are the bugs so annoying that I should wait or are they just a little annoyance here and there? So is it worth buying right now to start when I finish the witcher?

Buy now and wait for a week or two , I guess everything will be fixed by then.

Athelas

Arcane
I'd probably hold off for a few more weeks, maybe even until the expansion (which should boast further improvements for the base game).

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Do wait a bit imho. The game is great but the bugs do bring it down.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is not a big mess but if you are not in a rush you can wait a bit. The devs patch things fast as there is only two of them and they don't have a complicated process to go through. There is a new patch almost every day.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I rarely notice any bugs. I bet they toned down the XP gain from bog shroomers and Rumin Temple spirits. Tratis Saltis got me probably 2-3 levels from clearing it, and just the first couple packs of spirits at the temple got me another 2 levels.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I'll stop playing too... Balancing stuff sounds nice and i don't want to ruin the first playthrough with bugs and broken combat. Increased walking speed would also rock + opening world map to travel anywhere.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Spirits still give obscene XP (I'm not sure if the XP adjustments were intended for V6).

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
So anyone run into the ass monster or whatever the codex's submission was?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Linux patch still doesn't work (i think the linux version patch is actually and literally a hastily converted OSX patch that was never tested so it can't find the config file to actually start patching).

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
run it thorugh strace to determine where it is looking and appease it via symlink or whatnot.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good idea. I should have thought of that :negative:
Didn't really work. I did find (by strace -e open ./patch.x86_64 ) that it does find the config files on the .config/unite3d/Whalenaught Studio dir, but the last line before infinite opens of proc/cpuinfo are:
open("/home/SCO/Downloads/Serpent in the Staglands/Serpent in the Staglands/game/patcher_Data/Managed/System.dll.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/SCO/Downloads/Serpent in the Staglands/Serpent in the Staglands/game/patcher_Data/Managed/System.dll.so.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/proc/cpuinfo", O_RDONLY) = 13

The System.dll file exists and i tried to make a symlink "System.dll.so" to where it expects it, and it actually opens it

but no luck, more infinite opens of /proc/cpuinfo and the same
"Error: Can't find the configuration file" on the GUI

durrr.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom