Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ah that is a shame. I hope you come back soon :)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I've finally stopped dicking around am actually exploring the game. Holy shit, the over-world travel map is giving me huge Fallout vibes.

p1PzUx7.jpg
And that's just part of it. It's easily one more full screen in all directions except West. Zones within a quadrant are connected like in Fallout too, with the colored areas at the edge representing travel to a different map. It's like BG1 wilderness areas in that the the intra-quadrant maps have a logical N/S/E/W connection to them, too.

Man, this game is doing it for me in a way that none other have in a loooong time.

How do you access the map? I cant' find it anywhere in the menus or manual

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems there is patch 10 available for download. have to find patch notes.
Map is M. If you mean overland map you have too find exit of the map you are now on.

Primary update log:

• *New AI button toggle to turn AI completely off (online manual and tooltips to be updated soon!)
  • Additional hotkeys (R used to be accounted for) added that weren’t available before
  • Possible skill deactivation for some users when entering new maps, fixed
  • Cursor remains visual if scrolling when dialogue starts
  • Ranged user still had opportunity to close distance with target under rare circumstances, fixed
  • Various item description updates for stat accuracy
  • Some overworld map boundaries centered

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah, but I'm really burnt out at the moment.
Do it, here at least your feedback is not wasted. I told him on his forum that heal spells were a bit overpowered and damage spells to be tweaked , next day or so it was patched. This is not sawyer with his head deep in his ass , and only taking something awful forum feedback.
Think theres a lot more to expect from these guys in their next rpg than the overhyped obsidian and inxile.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, but I'm really burnt out at the moment.
Do it, here at least your feedback is not wasted. I told him on his forum that heal spells were a bit overpowered and damage spells to be tweaked , next day or so it was patched. This is not sawyer with his head deep in his ass , and only taking something awful forum feedback.
Think theres a lot more to expect from these guys in their next rpg than the overhyped obsidian and inxile.
And thanks to you my Catelyna could not 1v1 some bandits while being healed by two people :D
I had to reload 5 or 6 times. Personally it is not a big problem but I can see how it makes anyone with less patience (which is about 95% of gamers) quit the game and never start it again. I can see how any reviewer would not want to play much after that expecting that the whole game is crazy like that.

I then tried to use some other spells vs that bandit like foul creep or the one that drops enemy or heat metal and all were useless, took too long to activate and would usually miss when they did. I only did the fight once I ignored spells and used crossbow and elixirs to kill the bandit before he could kill Catelyna.

Balance is not good for spellcasters. I can see making a better spellcasters by putting one point into intellect and 2 into perception (I think there is race that will let you do that) and 2 points into Foul Creep or something but then I got no points for Aptitudes which are kind of the unique and cool part of this game.

So I am stuck having useless magic and load the game 5 times to beat even a bit tougher encounter.

Long casting times for spells is cool but once the spell fires it needs to be way more useful than it is now. At the moment these starting spells are useless during combat against any tougher encounters.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
The system can do for some fine tuning. For one spells that don't do damage or disable enemy like Heat Metal should give a bonus to hit.

OK, I just noticed that Rally did give me an icon.

And the option to run game in background finally showed up although it was in v9 patch notes.

But I cannot find a toggle to turn AI off. There is the old Agressive/Passive AI icon but no new AI Off option
EDIT: Ups, there is a third choice (an empty space). THis happens when I play with AI during combat :D

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
I agree that the tier-1 spells ought to be more decisive. Fearful light is good already I suppose, and heal is now in a nice spot - useful but not a boring game-winner it used to be. The rest could use a boost, though I haven't used most of them that much. And I don't really want to put points into them since the (good) higher level spells will be better as a rule later.

Often it's better early on, to just use your spellcaster to equip melee gear and he will be more useful.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Instead of a random farmer boy doing errands of ever-increasing prestige, the game has an actual story to it. Is that so bad?

I can do that too:
On the one hand you have a random out-of-nowhere god who has to do a string of ridiculous errands of ever-increasing prestige and on the other hand you could have a well thought out story about an unexpecting guy that was caught up in something much larger then he would have ever expected, which is an actual story. Is that so bad?

The point is, the story of this game is not quite high up there in terms of creativity. Couple that with the gameplay problems and you have something that many people genuinenly don't want to play.
Seriously the game looked so interesting but then it was all like: "yeah you are that former god and now you have to...", which only makes one think: "ffs not again please." I couldn't even care less what happens next.
Well I find the start 10x more interesting than PoE.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hah I found a new bug in v10. When I had AI off, my melee character Catelyna would not attack anyone. I would click to attack and she would go into combat stance but when she is supposed to attack she just go back into idle stance :(

It seem the patch logs I posted are not complete. I just noticed goblins give 10XP when killed while it was less before.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
Seems there is patch 10 available for download. have to find patch notes.
Map is M. If you mean overland map you have too find exit of the map you are now on.

Primary update log:

• *New AI button toggle to turn AI completely off (online manual and tooltips to be updated soon!)
  • Additional hotkeys (R used to be accounted for) added that weren’t available before
  • Possible skill deactivation for some users when entering new maps, fixed
  • Cursor remains visual if scrolling when dialogue starts
  • Ranged user still had opportunity to close distance with target under rare circumstances, fixed
  • Various item description updates for stat accuracy
  • Some overworld map boundaries centered

I was just going to complain that there is no way to turn off the AI completely, just like in POE. Fixed before I could even post about it!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hah I found a new bug in v10. When I had AI off, my melee character Catelyna would not attack anyone. I would click to attack and she would go into combat stance but when she is supposed to attack she just go back into idle stance :(

It seem the patch logs I posted are not complete. I just noticed goblins give 10XP when killed while it was less before.
Looks like that isn't just Catalina who has the bug, it's all melee and non-elixir ranged weapons.

roshan

Arcane
So Vilhelm already has Woodwise, so I was thinking - should I go for Philosophy, Linguistics or Nobility for the Moon Lord?

agris

Arcane
Patron
I started with 1 pt in Philosophy, 1 in Linguistics and 2 into INT for him. The incantations book is a badass concept IMO, and philosophy looks like it'll be useful beyond the imp, but I haven't used it yet. I went full INT so that when I get more levels down the line, he can specialize in damaging spells. The incantation book / linguistics gives me disabling.

My moonlord in a swiss army knife.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I believe it's suggested somewhere in the game or in the manual that philosophy would have some use if you wanted to make deals with the Bloodless Gods. The hunters actually tell you not to listen to them because they lie or something like that.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I started with 1 pt in Philosophy, 1 in Linguistics and 2 into INT for him. The incantations book is a badass concept IMO, and philosophy looks like it'll be useful beyond the imp, but I haven't used it yet. I went full INT so that when I get more levels down the line, he can specialize in damaging spells. The incantation book / linguistics gives me disabling.

I put one point into Linguistics but I cannot seem to use any curses yet.

roshan

Arcane

So I found a riddle imp in the cave in Lumen Targ, but even with a point in philosophy, I have no choice except to fight it? I think it should ask some sort of riddle?

Ninjerk

Arcane

So I found a riddle imp in the cave in Lumen Targ, but even with a point in philosophy, I have no choice except to fight it? I think it should ask some sort of riddle?
I met a riddle imp and didn't have any points in Philo on my character and it still asked me a riddle. Does it ask who steps forward?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012

I think those imps have nothing to do with philosophy. Some just give riddles, some attack. "Philosophy" imps are items - imps in a jar you can use to steal stats from companions.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I put one point into Linguistics but I cannot seem to use any curses yet.

I don't know if you can curse with one point, but I could use Vrosk Omn Charname and see their stats (similar to the awareness perk in fallout, though less specific) and Maen Lumen for torch light. I have 3 points in it and I'm using all the words of power in Erlein's handbook (davi, shoar and grafitus), some stealing with vrosk rife. I haven't tried using curses yet, I imagine some will work with 3 pts, but a lot wont.

I could only fight him with 1 point in philosophy, not sure about Ninjerk's experience. The entire reason it asks you who steps forward is so that you can choose the character who you think has the best aptitude(s) for the dialogue.

Philosophy also lets you steal stats from your companions via one time use Imps in a Jar. You can get one in Lumen Forten if you have 1 point in philosophy, but you can only steal Perception I believe. It takes more points in philosophy to steal other attributes.

On another note, I'm a keyboard-heavy player and this new patch is making combat a lot of fun. Not having ranged guys occasionally go ape-shit and charge into combat reduces the tedium. I still wish the Stop All button only worked for the character selected (FYI it affects the entire party regardless of selection) and was hotkeyed, but it's fun. The power curve at low levels seems very 1-2nd ed. AD&D-ish, where one level makes a huge difference. I just cleared out the encampment of 4 named bandits outside Lumen Targ at level 3, where it was impossible at level 2. It was a good low level encounter, had a nice positioning element and the enemies used spells as well as melee and ranged.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I don't know if you can curse with one point, but I could use Vrosk Omn Charname and see their stats (similar to the awareness perk in fallout, though less specific) and Maen Lumen for torch light. I have 3 points in it and I'm using all the words of power in Erlein's handbook (davi, shoar and grafitus), some stealing with vrosk rife.
How does stealing work? I tried it on some NPC and first my skill wasn't good enough, then it worked (with 3 pts) but there is no feedback on what happens. No new items in inventory either.
So can you explain what happens during "rife"?

agris

Arcane
Patron
How does stealing work? I tried it on some NPC and first my skill wasn't good enough, then it worked (with 3 pts) but there is no feedback on what happens. No new items in inventory either.
So can you explain what happens during "rife"?
Did you start the game with a point in Linguistics? I can't remember if I got it from Vinimus or the table in front of him, but in Lumen Forten you should have gotten a document called "Incantation Words of Powers" that explains a lot of it. Rife is a verb applied to Vrosk (target). If you stole successfully, the action log will tell you that you got an item, but you have to check your inventory to see what it is. If you saw no item (and you know the inventory is split between equippable and non-equippable items?), that means you got emeralds.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I didn't see any log entries, that what confused me. Maybe they patched it since i played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom