Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Agreed, websites die easily, pdf manuals endure

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Agreed, websites die easily, pdf manuals endure
Physical manuals last a lifetime. :smug:

100_9441 (1024x862).jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Finally I got my key too, oh I supposed I could have chilled one day, but this not the first time a kickstarter don't send me my key, POE for exemple last time. Having to deal with fucked up orders all the time, delays ,always something missing always something late or broken ,and stupid customer supports to boot, i hardly have any patience anymore.
Now I can finally try the game and its pretty good spent a good hour playing with builds . It wont take GOTY crown from witcher 3, but the amount of work/per people ratio seems already higher than POE. Pretty art and music and it really has a feeling of a 90's rpg, clunky interface included.

da_rays

Augur
First impression: Scrumptious! Loads of typos tho like everyone said...Setting is wonderful tho , everything look nice , slick animation and good music. Hard to believe a 2 man team did this~

Had to reload a few times , got some bugs while targeting ennemies , party member just run double speed toward selected ennemie and often keep running pass them( at double walking speed tyvm ) Standard attack also have a wide AoE, watch out while knocking barrels, settlers can get angry if you graze them and can pretty much tame and kill a starting party of 2-3 persons. But nonetheless, very happy with the game for now. I dont't like that much RTwP, but if the story telling/setting/meaningfull choices are there...I can live with semi crappy combat. I guess i need to get use to it too, this aint PoE.
To sums it up in 1 emoticon: :incline:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's good, little clunky, combat a tad odd, but I enjoyed playing it just now. I have an imp and I think I'm going to just create a harbringer/philosophy character that can recruit followers and then suck all their powers.

sbb

Learned
Can anyone speak to how nice the interface is to use compared to how fucking terrible it looks? Everything is way too huge and the fonts are very hard for me to read quickly without straining. Also, the art itself seems to make a lot of the environment generally difficult to parse.

roshan

Arcane
Can anyone speak to how nice the interface is to use compared to how fucking terrible it looks? Everything is way too huge and the fonts are very hard for me to read quickly without straining. Also, the art itself seems to make a lot of the environment generally difficult to parse.

Could be the resolution that I am viewing at, but the interface looks and functions quite well. There are a couple of quirks, for example, to get back to a previous menu there's a back arrow on the top left you need to click. And the inventory is split into two, equipable items versus non equipable, which is nice once you're used to it. If you unequip an item you are using, the interface automatically switches to the equipable items inventory. All the spells, skills and combat moves are in quick links on the top right of the interface, so they're easy to access.

In some ways, interface design is better than POE, for example, in SITS, selection actions (select, attack, stop, etc) are in a separate area compared to interface buttons (inventory, character screen etc). Also, at night, I can still make out the details of areas covered by fog of war, even with my monitor set to 50% brightness.

The font is easy enough to read, they ended up with a pretty good one, sometimes the font displayed can be a bit large, such as when the info for background objects is displayed, but otherwise is fine and perfectly readable.

Pathfinding is good, I just clicked behind a row of rocks, and my character automatically went around, through some areas previously covered by fog, and made his way there.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
Catalina: "Where are you going?"
Reply option: "Your impertinence is as unbecoming as your face"

LOL! Hoping this is the standard of dialogue for the rest of the game, reminds me of the smart ass insults of the old Fallout days. I'm tired of the safe, inoffensive and politically correct dialogue of modern RPGs. The next option when she agrees to join is to bind her soul irrevocably to you. Pretty badass.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I just started playing. There are typos galore, especially in stat sheet/ability descriptions, but the pixel art is great, so I'll allow it.

It's quite difficult to notice any difference between male and female character models during chargen. :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Mustawd

Can anyone speak to the combat? Still working today, but will probably fire it up in a couple of hours. Sleep be damned.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Combat is not so great, at least not at first. I'm still getting used to it, but combat consists of the enemy bee-lining towards my main character and ignoring my teammates. Generally, if your teammates hit an opponent, that singular opponent will turn their attention away from you, but the rest keep charging. It kind of sucks, I would much prefer it if there was a more obvious way of creating a front line. I even tried using a summoning horn I found in the first town, but the enemies just ignored the creature I summoned, too. Battles involving more than one opponent have so far degenerated into me running around in endless circles avoiding melee combat. I'll be running in the lead, the opponent will be at my heels, and my summoned monster or teammate will be trying to hack away at his back.

That said, there are a lot of combat abilities, spells, and items. I haven't had a chance to test them yet, but I'm thinking that there must be a combat skill somewhere that lets a character block the enemy from passing by so easily. Otherwise, you should consider making your main character a tank? There's probably more to it, I just need to figure it out. It's fun so far, though, and is really promising.

Mustawd

That's good. Hopefully these devs follow the same route of other KS projects and keep polishing.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
copied from Steam: this guy must be codexian:
" I absolutely cannot stand RTwP combat. I think it is horrible, mindless, click and watch boring nonsense garbage combat - but I'm still buying this game. Besides the combat, it looks great. And these people had the courage to decide to step up to the plate and make a real crpg while the rest of us just whined. These people, along with Vault Dweller, and other indie developers, are partly responsible for the real crpg resurgence that meant we no longer had an option between a mindless slightly interactive movie or a mindless hack n slash fest every six months. Now we have tons of games. "

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
copied from Steam: this guy must be codexian:
" I absolutely cannot stand RTwP combat. I think it is horrible, mindless, click and watch boring nonsense garbage combat - but I'm still buying this game. Besides the combat, it looks great. And these people had the courage to decide to step up to the plate and make a real crpg while the rest of us just whined. These people, along with Vault Dweller, and other indie developers, are partly responsible for the real crpg resurgence that meant we no longer had an option between a mindless slightly interactive movie or a mindless hack n slash fest every six months. Now we have tons of games. "
>Cannot into RTwP
>Vault Dweller instead of Vince
>Bitching about movie and Hacknslash

Hits most of the criteria alright.

Gozma

Arcane
I'd say that but barrel clicking is worse than rtw/p... i dunno if I can do this men <slaps face 2 get hype 2 play a fog of war clearing rtwp barrel click game>

The Fish

Arcane
Can anyone explain what the hell this room is trying to tell me?
QkKQ5Cv.png

Ninjerk

Arcane
In the physical journal, those don't match any of the Ameythevian Runic Code, but a couple of the symbols are identical to the "chalk rubbing" symbols on the page prior. The caption reads "While my brother was visiting the temple, I made a quick chalk rubbing of one of their artifacts that he was carrying with him. He said he believes the top two glyphs are numbers."

Johannes

Arcane

Could be the resolution that I am viewing at, but the interface looks and functions quite well. There are a couple of quirks, for example, to get back to a previous menu there's a back arrow on the top left you need to click. And the inventory is split into two, equipable items versus non equipable, which is nice once you're used to it. If you unequip an item you are using, the interface automatically switches to the equipable items inventory. All the spells, skills and combat moves are in quick links on the top right of the interface, so they're easy to access.

In some ways, interface design is better than POE, for example, in SITS, selection actions (select, attack, stop, etc) are in a separate area compared to interface buttons (inventory, character screen etc). Also, at night, I can still make out the details of areas covered by fog of war, even with my monitor set to 50% brightness.

The font is easy enough to read, they ended up with a pretty good one, sometimes the font displayed can be a bit large, such as when the info for background objects is displayed, but otherwise is fine and perfectly readable.

Pathfinding is good, I just clicked behind a row of rocks, and my character automatically went around, through some areas previously covered by fog, and made his way there.
Can't really agree about the UI, hotkeys for different things are glaringly lacking, a lot of simple tasks are doable only by mouse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom