Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Went outside, died to first goblin.

Back to witcher 3, it's not 1990 anymore.
So PoE is oldschool too then? Went to first cave, died to bear.
:troll:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
roshan
So it goes.

When I discovered the existence of gore forums in 2003, they were populated by goths, chavs, wiggers, depressives, Internet warriors, tweakers, and angry, shitposting teenagers.

Now they're populated mainly by housewives. Perhaps this is somewhat related to the similar phenomenon of the very early Internet being populated almost exclusively by computer nerds, engineers, and actual smart people, whereas today it is full of idiots.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
roshan
So it goes.

When I discovered the existence of gore forums in 2003, they were populated by goths, chavs, wiggers, depressives, Internet warriors, tweakers, and angry, shitposting teenagers.

Now they're populated mainly by housewives. Perhaps this is somewhat related to the similar phenomenon of the very early Internet being populated almost exclusively by computer nerds, engineers, and actual smart people, whereas today it is full of idiots.

The Codex isn't really any less hardcore than it used to be. If you don't believe me, read this review, then look at the comments.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
roshan
So it goes.

When I discovered the existence of gore forums in 2003, they were populated by degenerate mainlanders.

Now they're still populated by degenerate mainlanders

Y5HuC.gif

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Codex isn't really any less hardcore than it used to be. If you don't believe me, read this review, then look at the comments.

Those Codexers are being so polite to each other in the comments that I almost developed diabetes before I stopped reading.

Perhaps the Codex has actually improved with the passage of time! After all, Oblivion was GotY 2006.

Mortmal

Arcane
Combat is not so great, at least not at first. I'm still getting used to it, but combat consists of the enemy bee-lining towards my main character and ignoring my teammates. Generally, if your teammates hit an opponent, that singular opponent will turn their attention away from you, but the rest keep charging. It kind of sucks, I would much prefer it if there was a more obvious way of creating a front line. I even tried using a summoning horn I found in the first town, but the enemies just ignored the creature I summoned, too. Battles involving more than one opponent have so far degenerated into me running around in endless circles avoiding melee combat. I'll be running in the lead, the opponent will be at my heels, and my summoned monster or teammate will be trying to hack away at his back.

That said, there are a lot of combat abilities, spells, and items. I haven't had a chance to test them yet, but I'm thinking that there must be a combat skill somewhere that lets a character block the enemy from passing by so easily. Otherwise, you should consider making your main character a tank? There's probably more to it, I just need to figure it out. It's fun so far, though, and is really promising.

There's a few utility abiltiies to prevent that, the ooze spell make opponent fall (and your guys too) help them to stand near the tank,.I don't see any reason to not use armor one very characters except the price tbh. There's an arrow ability to cripple and slow down enemy too. It basically works like POE, except its a bit better and not a clickfest as the melee abilities are auto launched, one tank in front and the other doing dps , but if someone outdps they go to him .Seen some combat where the enemies where escaping through holes too, you have to stay awake during the fight.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Those Codexers are being so polite to each other in the comments that I almost developed diabetes before I stopped reading.

Perhaps the Codex has actually improved with the passage of time! After all, Oblivion was GotY 2006.

I think that if you look at the past, the Codex had a higher percentage of "inane one liner"-type posts. In retrospect, some people translate that as the forum being more hardcore and edgy back then, but really it was mostly just more inane. In terms of serious, long-form criticism of games, it has definitely gotten better over time.

Zetor

Arcane

I think that if you look at the past, the Codex had a higher percentage of "inane one liner"-type posts. In retrospect, some people translate that as the forum being more hardcore and edgy back then, but really it was mostly just more inane. In terms of serious, long-form criticism of games, it has definitely gotten better over time.
I'm p. sure that trend only started in 2006 or so (Oblivion / TES forum diaspora, aka The Skyway Effect). 2002-2003 had plenty of serious long-form criticism of games.

edit: as long as you didn't badmouth the sacred cows (FO/Arcanum), anyway

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I had this feeling during beta already but, now that it's been released, can we already agree that, despite the typos, and the occasionally funny sentence structure, SITS is better written than PoE?

Sorry fanboys.
Actually, not really sorry. Go fuck yourselves.
:edgy:

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
My ranged characters keep running into point blank range to shoot the enemy.

Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I had this feeling during beta already but, now that it's been released, can we already agree that, despite the typos, and the occasionally funny sentence structure, SITS is better written than PoE?

Sorry fanboys.

tumblr_myx474RW1I1tob0cmo1_500.gif

Angthoron

Arcane

Sorry fanboys.
Was this ever actually disagreed upon?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Sorry fanboys.
Was this ever actually disagreed upon?

Not really, the PoE fanboys are quite unreasonable-with. They wouldn't admit to any of the game's flaws.

Athelas

Arcane
I'm not sure why you think it's a good idea to praise a game by saying 'I think this game is better written than this other game that I think is horribly written'. That's the opposite of praise.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
shadenfreude moves sales of "rival" games more often than you might think!

I'm waiting to see what the first week/s patch is like, I really want to take a chance on this.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not sure why you think it's a good idea to praise a game by saying 'I think this game is better written than this other game that I think is horribly written'. Because that's basically the opposite of praise.
So basically PoE is horribly writen?

Trip

Learned
For the resources Whalenought have had at their disposal (not just money but time), the writing style generally isn't something to complain about, I agree. Text is the cheapest asset in a game, but highly skill- and time-intensive, and they have had to concentrate on lots of other stuff beside it. To be honest, Obsidian seem to have given quite short shrift to the writing in POE, which is why it's so wordy. Wordy is easy and quick to do, as paradoxical as it sounds, and it looks like they were in a hurry when they got around to most of it.

roshan

Arcane
It's actually a lot better written. And you can tell that..... (which one of them did the writing? I'm guessing Hannah?) was actually having a lot of fun coming up with all this stuff.

e6t6w9.jpg

Really? This is a racial description? They enjoy baked delicacies? LOL, absolutely hilarious stuff. From the writing tools item description:

28bheue.jpg

Wow, there's actually a description of each and every component.

29gfncz.png

LOL, can't believe that they thought of mentioning that the biscotti is dipped into coffee to soften it. The writing is really great and a pleasure to read. It isn't long winded, but it's flamboyant in a way that brings to mind that you are entering a different world, a different time. It's interesting just picking up stuff and clicking on the scenery and reading all the descriptions.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
SitS's dialogue seems quite rudimentary from what I've seen (though admittedly I've not seen much). I'm guessing they put more writing effort into the general setting stuff than into any individual character.

Latro

Arcane
does coffee (cafera?) restore mana or whatever is used as MP in this game? the thought of coffee-house wizards amuses me

Trip

Learned
LOL, can't believe that they thought of mentioning that the biscotti is dipped into coffee to soften it. The writing is really great and a pleasure to read. It isn't long winded, but it's flamboyant in a way that brings to mind that you are entering a different world, a different time. It's interesting just picking up stuff and clicking on the scenery and reading all the descriptions.

The attention to detail and the attitude are great. The flow of phrases and clauses... eh. Still, I definitely wouldn't hold it against them.

SitS's dialogue seems quite rudimentary from what I've seen (though admittedly I've not seen much). I'm guessing they put more writing effort into the general setting stuff than into any individual character.

Also, this, yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom