Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
i see even more poor souls are lured into playing this game

you poor poor men

It is a bad game with the best of intentions. Even with the bad combat there were moments like encountering an enemy with a huge AC boost that needed to be knockdown to lower their AC ( I didn't know this the first time around). I managed to wing it by using my max level linguist to curse them with "Vrosk Armura" into the damage range which was a great moment.

I feel they have great potential to make an amazing game. Hopefully Copper Dreams will be that game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
i see even more poor souls are lured into playing this game

you poor poor men

I feel they have great potential to make an amazing game. Hopefully Copper Dreams will be that game.
I was hoping for that as well but now that they changed how you control the characters and put fixed camera I gave up hope. Seem they cannot help themselves to find ways to ruin their own games with stupid shit.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
not feeling this game so far. it has charm, the heart and passion seems to be in the right place, but it's just generally clunky. the lack of game developing inexperiences is all over the place. like i have troubles clicking on enemies when it is too near a character. for example, when catalina is hitting enemies, and i tried to cast some debuff to the enemy, i hit catalina instead of because of crappy click box. i have to move catalina aside then cast my debuff.

walking speed in just horrible. if you think underrail's movement speed is bad, you should try this game.
enemies seems trash-mob ish too.

i do like the art, the music and setting so far. i also like no quest journal stuff, instead we have to take our own notes. problem is the note is pretty basic and not too robust, but workable.
haven't got much quest for now, but i hope quest design aren't just kill x fetch y because the journal notes would just be a waste.

also how are you supposed to use the skills? like linguistics, woodwise, etc. there is shortcut, but i dunno what to use them at.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
also how are you supposed to use the skills? like linguistics, woodwise, etc. there is shortcut, but i dunno what to use them at.

Redding is teh hard. Each aptitude description tells you what you should use it on.

But if you are lazy...

Harbinger= Knowledge of Law and Law Enforcement so Arbiters and Constables
Nobility= You can talk to squires to see Counselors and talk to them about the world and stuff
Woodwise= Traps and nature. Btw to detect traps you need to select woodwise then your char. Intuitive I know.
Herbology=Self-Explanatory
Philosphy= Ancient beings and Ancient Writings
Linquistics=Mostly talking to natives

hell bovine

Arcane
not feeling this game so far. it has charm, the heart and passion seems to be in the right place, but it's just generally clunky. the lack of game developing inexperiences is all over the place. like i have troubles clicking on enemies when it is too near a character. for example, when catalina is hitting enemies, and i tried to cast some debuff to the enemy, i hit catalina instead of because of crappy click box. i have to move catalina aside then cast my debuff.

walking speed in just horrible. if you think underrail's movement speed is bad, you should try this game.
enemies seems trash-mob ish too.

i do like the art, the music and setting so far. i also like no quest journal stuff, instead we have to take our own notes. problem is the note is pretty basic and not too robust, but workable.
haven't got much quest for now, but i hope quest design aren't just kill x fetch y because the journal notes would just be a waste.

Linguistics is not the only skill to give you additional dialogue, so it's a good idea to have different skills maxed on different characters. From what I remember (might be wrong about some):
linguistics - spells, which you need to type by hand (which is why I didn't use them)
woodwise - lets you spot fairies trapped in flower rings. Apparently you can eat them (the fairies, not the flowers) for stat increase, though I never figured out how.
harbinger - lets you summon critters with summoning items, higher skill is needed for better summons
herbology - is how I managed combat: five points in it plus the poison skill (warbook skill) kills everything with ease, because poison goes through armor and resistances (unless they patched it up)
philosophy - imps in jars (which allow you to "steal" stat points from your companions)

Basically, there is a lot of hidden stuff not mentioned in skill descriptions.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
woodwise - lets you spot fairies trapped in flower rings. Apparently you can eat them (the fairies, not the flowers) for stat increase, though I never figured out how.
Dont remember exactly, but you need to use some spell for that.

Sadly, my saves left on fried PC, with all uberparty, where I made a few characters on start just for the sake of draining stats from them, not the NPC.

agris

Arcane
Patron
linguistics is also incredibly powerful, and typing the spells is fun IMO.

I found that initially I had a heal-bot/debuffer (blood cocoon/radiant stave/linguistics) stand back and keep my fighter alive. The combat isn't great, but once you gain some levels and armor, you can do some fun stuff with it. Once the healer/debuffer learned Morph into Fiend (makes 1 enemy the enemy of your enemies), the combat became really easy.

Linguistics works well on the magic user b/c the incantations don't need to be held like spells, so you can fire one off then cast something and the incantation will still persist. I believe duration is a function of the linguistics skill.

It was definitely underdeveloped, but I loved the lack of a quest journal, the tone of the world and writing, and some of the quests and puzzles were really fun. If I can find it, I'll post some pictures of my quest notes.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
linguistics is also incredibly powerful
And also buggy, because I stealed Arbiter's armor, then killed them and looted same armor again, but it was way before final patch so maybe things changed.

It was definitely underdeveloped, but I loved the lack of a quest journal, the tone of the world and writing, and some of the quests and puzzles were really fun. If I can find it, I'll post some pictures of my quest notes.
Absolutely agree, team (and setting) has great potential.

hell bovine

Arcane
Dont remember exactly, but you need to use some spell for that.

Sadly, my saves left on fried PC, with all uberparty, where I made a few characters on start just for the sake of draining stats from them, not the NPC.
Spell was from linguistics or spellbook? I'll probably reply the game when the expansion comes out, might as well try the new diet.

Little evil details like this make playing an amoral character fun. :D

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i see some potential quest line to pursue, but i cannot get it. for example the shipping guild vs merchant in carem. is there something to those or just a backdrop story stuff that you cannot interfere?
it seems there are lots of these "red herrings" or you will just go back there later?

ArchAngel

Arcane
No, game lacks quests and stuff to do in civilized areas. It is why I said it kind of feels like Fallout but lacks quests and C&C.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
No, game lacks quests and stuff to do in civilized areas. It is why I said it kind of feels like Fallout but lacks quests and C&C.
that's lame. cities are usually my favorite part in games because there's where the content are.
i wilderness, i found something interesting like a riddle imps, but most of the time it is trash combat

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is a first game made by 2 people and it is a complex RPG.. something had to be sacrificed :D (and it was not being made for 7 years like Underrail)
I am sure their next games are going to be better.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
hoping a banquet for fools will perfect this game. i still stand to my first point. the heart is in the right place for vanilla SiTS, but everything else seems to be rough-edged. great for 2 people team's first project though

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
And the combat! LEEEEL. THIS IS HARDCORE MAN. LIKE A HARDCOAR RPG. YOU WILL CRY BECUAUSE IT'S SO HARDCORR.

Come on. You're shitting me. Not a single engagement has been challenging what with luring shit 1 NPC at a time and bullshit healing from Vilhelm with no downsides. Tactics? What tactics. Click on shit and wait.

:retarded:

It never ceases to amaze me when people use their brain to figure out a way to make combat easier and then claim the combat is brainless. Surely if you were dumb and the combat was dumb then you'd just run into battles roaring like a madman and engage in a brawl, but no, you used your brain and applied a bit of stealth logic and the game permits you to do this... and then you complain. I do hope you're not one of those retards who, on another thread, will lambaste cRPGs for not proving 'Stealth Mechanics'...

Certain battles, if you haven't worked out the lure technique, are pretty much impossible. If you are feeling OP then you can rush in and brawl to make everything move a bit quicker. At least the game provides choice in this regard, something most shitty games don't. In fact, a sure way to spot a shittier game is by noticing whether you can apply alternative tactics, such as lure, amongst other options, and if you realise the game only offers a brawl or not system then, normally, it's a pretty dumb game. I'm looking at you games where the only defining 'options' in combat is whether you've got a 10% or 20% improved sword to clusterfuck with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom