Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If they want a slice of the larger market dollars they will need some art to please the eyes before the brain kicks in with the rules.
That'd be the first time ever if a CRPG attracts an audience with visuals and then hooks them with game design. It usually goes "impress with visuals, disappoint with design."

So....., I presume you never play Knights of the Chalice? :troll:

Apexeon

Arcane
If they want a slice of the larger market dollars they will need some art to please the eyes before the brain kicks in with the rules.
That'd be the first time ever if a CRPG attracts an audience with visuals and then hooks them with game design. It usually goes "impress with visuals, disappoint with design."

I think its because art is dam expensive so you switch into play it safe mode when you have a team of 10+ artists ( 300K-500K for 1 year in wages and up to a million for 2).
Everyone is going gaga over POE art even on this board. I can't wait to see the sales for POE which will prove my point
that the art team is what brings in the bacon.

Forgot to add the art team also eats all the bacon too.

mmm bacon and wine.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm a bit worried about people going "this is getting every intriguing after every update" because it might make them think that all they have to do is dump a huge wall of text next time for GUARANTEED MILLIONS. No, they have to do a lot more than that.
I think/hope TSI knows that people posting here represent the hard core, not the larger market dollar.
Yes, but you still have to explain the game more than "you make a party" and "there's turn based combat" in your pitch.

The updates we're getting now should have been the updates in the first few days.

I know it's hard to boil ideas down into high level concepts you can quickly get across and get people excited with, but that's what succeeding on kickstarter is about.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
They just pulled the plug on the Kickstarter, which I assume means they'll quickly relaunch it with a stronger pitch employing all the substance they've had in these recent posts.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Given its heritage, SDS needs to set a new standard for the RPG genre. . . . A standard that delivers a fresh . . . RPG experience.
That is not the droid I was looking for.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It was the right thing to do, and hopefully they'll keep doing the right thing (whatever that may be) from here on.

Over $100,000, and nearly 2,000 backers achieved and a new direction, discovered.

We’re postponing our Kickstarter campaign. No, TSI is NOT giving up on Seven Dragon Saga! Quite the contrary. We’ve done some serious reflection and come to the conclusion that we can’t create the level of RPG today that we know we’ll be able to create tomorrow.

Given its heritage, SDS needs to set a new standard for the RPG genre. Not a ‘style over substance’ AAA standard. A standard that delivers a fresh, compelling and truly satisfying RPG experience. SDS deserves no less. And that goes for you too, our wonderful, loyal supporters.

We launched this campaign at "veteran difficulty" (what some call "a high funding goal") because wanted to be sure that we would do SDS justice. We knew there would be a lot of you that remembered the classics or would appreciate our efforts to build a fresh RPG, but we underestimated how much new content we'd need to show in the middle of the campaign to engage people that were less familiar with the older games.

We'd thought we could talk about core mechanics when it is clear that you want to actually see those mechanics in action. We need to show off more than we had ready right now. There came a point where it became more tell than show.

We've had incredibly positive results from this Kickstarter. The press awareness, fan response, and community feedback has been tremendous. We're taking that feedback and what we've learned to refine our work further. We'll be coming back as soon as humanly possible, with a better, more refined Kickstarter, and some code you'll actually be able to play, along with killer videos and artwork.

Once again, we are extremely grateful for all of your encouragement and support. We will continue to follow our progress by signing up for our newsletter on our website: http://www.tsi-games.com/ and by following us on social media. This way, you can hear about our Kickstarter re-launch when it happens. And it WILL happen!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/TSIGames

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TSIGames

If it were easy, where would the true sense of accomplishment come from?

Sincerely, David Klein,

President TSI

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Looks like TSI figured that textdumps are not the answer, but I'm concerned that they still haven't grasped how crucial the first few days are to the campaign's success.
David Klein said:
we underestimated how much new content we'd need to show in the middle of the campaign to engage people that were less familiar with the older games.

We'd thought we could talk about core mechanics when it is clear that you want to actually see those mechanics in action. We need to show off more than we had ready right now. There came a point where it became more tell than show.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Looks like TSI figured that textdumps are not the answer, but I'm concerned that they still haven't grasped how crucial the first few days are to the campaign's success.
This! You need to get off to a flying start, forget the middle of the campaign!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Heh, after canceling the campaign, they've updated the blog with a rather casual post, from the narrative designer, Edwin McRae: http://www.tsi-games.com/how-to-get-players-to-roleplay/

the_guild_cast_cosplay_felicia_day_wallpaper-1280x800-1080x675.jpg

Extra Credits explains how a ‘swift kick to the head’ with the Boot of Consequence jolts a player into treating the game world as a ‘real’ world and how Permanence reinforces that ‘real world’ environment so that the player starts to behave like a ‘real’ character in that world.

And I’ve got one thing to add to that. Design your game world so that it NEVER breaks the ‘fourth wall’!

That means that every element of your world has to make sense according to the rules you’ve established for that world. No leaps of logic. No Deus Ex Machina. No ‘because it’s a game’ stuff.

No-one should be forced to eat out of a trash can!

bioshawk_infuninatutu_by_zippedbinders-d5zyo7l.jpg

Last edited:

Aenra

it is not cancelled! Merely postponed!

The forges are glowing hot, sparks hover in the air and the sound of grinding stones covers all else. A mighty host of dwarven war veterans, ceasoned in hardship and adversity are about to march forth once more!
well maybe some gay elves behind them, but no one counts them effeminate specimens anyway

Inquisition

Educated
Good call. Now dump those shitty 3D graphics and return with a vengeance... in glorious 2D. Evoke the feeling of the Gold Box games and you shall have a successful campaign.

rezaf

Cipher
"We have a great history, so we know you want us to throw that away and make something fresh and new".

Yeah, the mind boggles.
Could the new gamers they are appearently trying to cater care less about these old farts (no offense)? The names of the games they made mean nothing to these young ones, much less so the names of the designers behind them.
When you're in that position and those that remember both your games and you are reluctant when it comes to backing or even pull their pledges, this ought to tell you something about your chosen strategy.
$0.02 and all.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Eh, I don't blame them for trying their hand at a non-traditional fantasy setting. It's not like they decided to turn their back on their core audience and make a cover-based shooter with quicktime events or a casual puzzle-based game.

Edit: hopefully they won't repeat the mistake of following a countdown with another countdown.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"We have a great history, so we know you want us to throw that away and make something fresh and new".
Yeah, the mind boggles.
Could the new gamers they are appearently trying to cater care less about these old farts (no offense)? The names of the games they made mean nothing to these young ones, much less so the names of the designers behind them.
When you're in that position and those that remember both your games and you are reluctant when it comes to backing or even pull their pledges, this ought to tell you something about your chosen strategy.
Eh. Again, SSI's games weren't good because D&D is awesome - SSI's games were good because they were/are good designers. The Gold Box games weren't SSI's best. They were just popular because D&D. I'm sure they probably would make better money with a Gold Box rehash, but neither of you guys should be cheering for them to lower the denominator. Have a little confidence that something can be new and also good.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
All you stupid faggots think that they're cancelling it because they can't into campaign are, in fact - stupid. They've learned from Cleve to postpone everything as long as possible to generate tons of hype

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom