Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Alex

Arcane
These guys really know their audience of Gold Box nostalgics huh. They feel that pulse

Maybe I missed something, but I understand this Seven Dragon Saga thing is just a homebrew RPG system one of them has made, and seems to be hoping to use in this game. We don't even know what this game will be about.

Dorateen

Arcane
In 1985, Gary Gygax penned the gaming supplement Oriental Adventures for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. So if, if, TSI wants to make something with eastern flavour and still call it an homage to the Gold Box games, I say bring it. And I've got a hard-covered text filled with lore, equipment and honour systems to back me up.

Gygax > Sawyer

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Wait...are they making a video game or are they just releasing a pen-and-paper system?

If it's just a pen-and-paper system, they can keep that. I got plenty of those.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
We have NO idea what kind of game or even setting they will be using. This is just about the PnP setting some of them have been working on.

I would *assume* the game would then be using this setting, but perhaps they will be doing something different.

Guess we will find out later..............................................................................................

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Exactly. Hell they could even do a certain era of this PnP setting, which could be anything. So we have no idea.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Honestly, technicalities of the system apart, my main gripe is how tame the abilities are. There are two "absurd" ones: teleport and walking through doors, but the rest is just usual GURPS stuff; magic spells, dual wielding, more HP, more damage, more initiative, professions, etc... 3D&T is much more creative in this regard.

*fanboy mode activated*

Typical GURPS powers? What are you on about? I'd suggest you read Powers but it sounds like you haven't even gotten through the first part of Basic Set :rpgcodex:

GURPS doesn't even have basic rules for "dual wielding" (in the sense of buying one adv. and that's it), and it's modular so you can buils your own abilities though their enhancement and limitation system to do nearly anything you can think of. There's a reason many superhero games are run in GURPS.

I'd say you must have misunderstood something, but that doesn't cover it. If you think GURPS isn't "creative" in comparison to other games, you haven't read it, simple as. You can do anything you can think of within its confines. Otherwise the Infinite Worlds setting would be a thing of impossibility.

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
I think what felipepe meant was that 7 Dragon Saga is like taking the most generic and simplistic version of GURPS instead of doing all the crazy shit that you can do with it. Though I'm not sure which version that is, even most of Banestorm is abundant in fantasy creativity compared to the settings of most video games and RPG systems.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Pepe just used GURPS as shorthand for "we've seen this before in more popular RPG systems". 3D&T is a BR-spawned comedic take on GURPS, and he was comparing 7 Dragon Saga to that.

Grunkers Gurpsers gonna Gurp

He said "usual GURPS stuff" and listed a range of passive, banalshitboring assets that are in all systems and aren't really that GURPSY. Hence my righteous fan-butthurt.

I think what felipepe meant was that 7 Dragon Saga is like taking the most generic and simplistic version of GURPS instead of doing all the crazy shit that you can do with it.

Oh. Makes sense. Sorry felipepepe :oops:

stuff about GURPS settings

Besides Infinite Worlds, GURPS settings are banalshitboring. I always play my GURPS games in non-native settings. That's the entire point of GURPS. Never understood why anyone would use the settings sloppily written for GURPS.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think what felipepe meant was that 7 Dragon Saga is like taking the most generic and simplistic version of GURPS instead of doing all the crazy shit that you can do with it.
Oh. Makes sense. Sorry felipepepe :oops:
Nah, it was my bad, I should have explained better (and grabbed my 2ª edition GURPS book to check the lack of dual wielding) :hug:

Anyway, I'm not a fan of this Seven Dragon Saga ruleset. Seems simplistic, trying to copy good ideas from other rulesets but screwing up in the process and lacking the creativity to make things on their own. It might work in a very limited and combat-focused RPG, something like Blackguards, but even so with a lot of tweaks. And I doubt it will have a 6-menber party. Having four already seems like overkill, considering how pointless rogues seem to be, how there are various incentives for you to play hybrid melee/spellcaster characters and the lack of specialized skills. It doesn't even have freaky anime powers.

Just imagine playing with a party of six Geralts.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Honestly I do not have much faith in a company that screws up its countdown. I know it seems shallow but how the fuck can you mismanage something that simple?

buzz

Arcane
Besides Infinite Worlds, GURPS settings are banalshitboring. I always play my GURPS games in non-native settings. That's the entire point of GURPS. Never understood why anyone would use the settings sloppily written for GURPS.
:nocountryforshitposters: did you read Transhuman Space, In Nomine or Technomancer?

Even Banestorm is actually pretty great, like an Infinite Worlds collapsed in a "generic" fantasy genre world. Humans from all moments and places in history are "transported" in a world of elves/dwarves/orcs and then they subjugate them. Very interesting implementation of real-life religions into the setting. You can do almost anything fantasy in it, from generic D&D to more Arthurian medieval stuff, Arabian nights, swashbuckling adventures on sea or underwater, even the wuxia shit people were dismissing in here.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:nocountryforshitposters: did you read Transhuman Space, In Nomine or Technomancer?

I don't like In Nomine that much, I prefer to play in Hellblazer's setting. Transhuman Space is p. cool but it's not like I can't get what I get from it in other settings. I like Mage better than Technomancer.

Anyway, you're right, I was way too harsh. What I meant to say was: "90% of the time, I would rather play in a non-native setting that does what the GURPS setting does but better."

I don't like Banestorm that much because when I feel like designing games in it I always end up thinking "why aren't I just designing an Infinite Worlds game instead?"

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Move this shit to JRPGCodesu. RIP SSI. Exhumed then pissed on by its own creators.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
All this talk about pen&paper RPGs that I have never played makes me insecure about my nerdhood...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
All this talk about pen&paper RPGs that I have never played makes me insecure about my nerdhood...
If it makes you feel better, this is the cover of 3D&T:

3dt.jpg

Not missing much.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
And left one is from Naruto, center is from Gurren Lagann, the robot at the background looks like Evangelion. Not sure about the lizard. What's this game is about?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom