Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Alchemist

Arcane
I saw this posted on TSI's social media feeds - might be of interest:
Whew- lots of people excited to get information before we can prep all the details. Press interested in hearing details directly from us should reach out to: Hello@DeadGoodMedia.com @deadgoodmedia

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Whew- lots of people excited to get information before we can prep all the details. Press interested in hearing details directly from us should reach out to: Hello@DeadGoodMedia.com @deadgoodmedia

Wrote to them yesterday, no reply so far.

Good. That can only mean that they are too busy designing and coding the best turn based combate engine the world has seen.

SophosTheWise

Cipher

Good. That can only mean that they are too busy designing and coding the best turn based combate engine the world has seen.

It sounds a bit sketchy if you ask me. They only have like 200 likes and followers. If they didn't even anticipate a few media requests then I don't know what they're really prepared for. But then again, it's only been a day.

Weasel

SophosTheWise

Cipher

They're probably already liaising with the official Codex front-page writer...

...Roguey
:dead:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm currently trying to get into contact with any of the TSI guys, so if anybody has a question they want to pose, shoot. Maybe I can get an interview slot or anything like that before the "big announcement"

Are you contacting them on behalf of the Codex? Because you shouldn't do that without talking to us about it first.

On that note, Zed was already on the Codex interview case right after they revealed the first countdown. We'll see if anything comes out of that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm currently trying to get into contact with any of the TSI guys, so if anybody has a question they want to pose, shoot. Maybe I can get an interview slot or anything like that before the "big announcement"

Are you contacting them on behalf of the Codex? Because you shouldn't do that without talking to us about it first.

On that note, Zed was already on the Codex interview case right after they revealed the first countdown. We'll see if anything comes out of that.
it seems they are not doing interviews before the reveal.
but yes, once there's a reveal I will send them questions on behalf of the codex.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I STILL have never played that. :lol:

You are not missing anything. While you still have to technically consider it a Gold-Box game, it plays like it was thrown together last minute by one or two people. And that's probably what happened. A lot of unbalanced fights and dumb mazes. They clearly didn't have time to do much testing on it. It really didn't receive the love it should have...and if it had, they probably would have released "Heirs to Skull Crag (also includes a toolset)" instead of "Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (along with some game we threw together to show it works)." So, yeah. Avoid, unless you really just want to say you've played every Gold-Box game ever made by SSI.

People like to think "Secret of the Silver Blades" is awful. It has nothing on "Heirs to Skull Crag."

SophosTheWise

Cipher

Nope, on behalf of my site.

Null Null

Arbiter
You mean Shih Huang Ti didn't achieve immortality and become a lich, and the Mongols didn't triumph through the use of their Fine Long Bows which added strength bonuses to their bow damage, allowing them to do heavy damage from a distance? Mao didn't use mass charm to raise a revolutionary army? You've got to be kidding me...

I STILL have never played that. :lol:

You are not missing anything. While you still have to technically consider it a Gold-Box game, it plays like it was thrown together last minute by one or two people. And that's probably what happened. A lot of unbalanced fights and dumb mazes. They clearly didn't have time to do much testing on it. It really didn't receive the love it should have...and if it had, they probably would have released "Heirs to Skull Crag (also includes a toolset)" instead of "Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (along with some game we threw together to show it works)." So, yeah. Avoid, unless you really just want to say you've played every Gold-Box game ever made by SSI.

People like to think "Secret of the Silver Blades" is awful. It has nothing on "Heirs to Skull Crag."

The only official goldbox games I've played are Heirs to Skull Crag and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (on Megadrive and it was great). Wonder if I've missed anything...

I actually found Heirs to be quite ok, even if way too short. Of course there was already back then (soon after release) many better FRUA modules available.

Zetor

Arcane
I've been replaying the Krynn trilogy (after 20 years -- shit, has it been that long?) and it's amazing how well these games hold up. Especially since I decided to play on a higher difficulty setting this time without abusing modify for 18/00 strength, though I did reroll until I got 16con+18 dex (everyone) / 18 int (mages) / 18 wis (clerics). Not having access to some QoL things (like rememorization, targeting only cycling through enemies, level-up indicators) is a bit aggravating, but I can deal.

I fully expect to go into rage mode once I hit DQK midgame, however.

e: man, I thought this was the gold box thread. Oh well!

Gozma

Arcane
I've been replaying the Krynn trilogy (after 20 years -- shit, has it been that long?) and it's amazing how well these games hold up. Especially since I decided to play on a higher difficulty setting this time without abusing modify for 18/00 strength, though I did reroll until I got 16con+18 dex (everyone) / 18 int (mages) / 18 wis (clerics). Not having access to some QoL things (like rememorization, targeting only cycling through enemies, level-up indicators) is a bit aggravating, but I can deal.

I fully expect to go into rage mode once I hit DQK midgame, however.

e: man, I thought this was the gold box thread. Oh well!

Nah, by DKoK your enlarge spell will give you like 20 strength, and CoK has early gauntlets of ogre power and a girdle of giant strength. It's not that important. Rerolling/Modifying for straight 18 dex is way way more important because it lets you beat out save or die spammers during initiative. Not having 18 in casting stats is hardly any trouble in the early games but not being able to cast top level spells in DQoK would be dumb.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
INot having access to some QoL things (like rememorization, targeting only cycling through enemies, level-up indicators) is a bit aggravating, but I can deal.

What's QoL?
Anyway rememorization and level up indicators should be present in Death Knights. I distinctly remember the latter in the Amiga verions at least.
Cycling through enemies have never been necessary; you can use the mouse or arrow keys to select individual targets.

Zetor

Arcane
INot having access to some QoL things (like rememorization, targeting only cycling through enemies, level-up indicators) is a bit aggravating, but I can deal.

What's QoL?
Anyway rememorization and level up indicators should be present in Death Knights. I distinctly remember the latter in the Amiga verions at least.
Cycling through enemies have never been necessary; you can use the mouse or arrow keys to select individual targets.
QoL is Quality-of-Life, aka stuff that makes gameplay more user-friendly (but not really easier) -- something like arrows stacking to 999 instead of 20 in BG1.

I know that rememorization is there in DKK+DQK, but I'm still in COK. The cycling actually isn't that much of a problem compared to lack of centering when manually aiming a fireball (that's also possible to work around just by mentally shifting the viewport), but it'd be nice to have for my archer in low-difficulty fights.

Last edited:

Renevent

Cipher
Man the SSI games are some of my favorite RPG's...PoR was the first CRPG I've ever played and have really fond memories of it. Heard the news, then found out it's going to be set in China and have fucking martial arts and shit? Well, at least the small amount of concept art is ok so far...guess will have to wait until the full reveal. Either way, my anticipation level has gone from "Fuck Yeah!" to "Bleh..." for now. I guess I liked Al-Qadim, even though it was more like a Zelda game (I realize it's not the same setting, just sayin').

Dorateen

Arcane
Heard the news, then found out it's going to be set in China.

It's not going to be set in China, if that's your concern. As far as I know, this is Dave Shelley's own fantasy setting that has some martial-arts influence, but is also populated by elves and dwarves and dragons. With a variety of traditional and familiar classes.

We haven't seen anything as far as what the game will look like, whether it will be exploration in a first person window and switch to a top down combat screen, or if it will be full isometric over a visible map, more like the Dark Sun. I'm excited about the allusion to the the Power of Six, and expecting a full Gold Box party.

There is every possibility that what they roll out for the official reveal will be a disappointment. But this is going to be an uphill challenge as a crowdfunding project. I would rather see the enthusiasm kept high, for as long as we're able to.

Renevent

Cipher
Heard the news, then found out it's going to be set in China.

It's not going to be set in China, if that's your concern. As far as I know, this is Dave Shelley's own fantasy setting that has some martial-arts influence, but is also populated by elves and dwarves and dragons. With a variety of traditional and familiar classes.

We haven't seen anything as far as what the game will look like, whether it will be exploration in a first person window and switch to a top down combat screen, or if it will be full isometric over a visible map, more like the Dark Sun. I'm excited about the allusion to the the Power of Six, and expecting a full Gold Box party.

There is every possibility that what they roll out for the official reveal will be a disappointment. But this is going to be an uphill challenge as a crowdfunding project. I would rather see the enthusiasm kept high, for as long as we're able to.

It's more the general theme (ie martial arts, medieval chinese setting, etc). I agree though, it's best to wait and see exactly what they had in mind before discounting the game.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
So the game is an anime influenced, wuxia inspired spiritual sequel to a series of 90's RPGs. You know what you'll get if you'll ad martial arts + anime + 90's? Ranma 1/2, that's what you'll get. An anime about a boy who sometimes changes into a girl. Now you can guess that TSI actually stands for TransSexuals International and the game is a Tojan Horse like product that is supposed to get SJWs into hardcore oldschool RPGs, shift the focus of their web-terror to oldschool game developers and destroy them forever. A nice plan but I guess I was a bit smarter then them.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
We haven't seen anything as far as what the game will look like, whether it will be exploration in a first person window and switch to a top down combat screen, or if it will be full isometric over a visible map, more like the Dark Sun.

I really hope it's first person exploration with top down combat like the Gold Box games. There's no reason for a spiritual successor to change that particular dynamic.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think the second countdown has been a big damper (at least here in the Codex) and they've lost quite a bit of momentum. If they don't use this time to get the word out in the non-hardcore crowds, then this project is DOA

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom