Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I think the second countdown has been a big damper (at least here in the Codex) and they've lost quite a bit of momentum. If they don't use this time to get the word out in the non-hardcore crowds, then this project is DOA

I don't think that a second countdown is going to kill the project. There's plenty of time to recover. It's not like they have a time limit...they just announced themselves as a company 17 days ago. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's not about time, it's about being out of the public eye. They need to get back in the public eye with a bang - they had some publicity when they announced the company, but its been a while now and people have moved on.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If the old SSI team is going to INCLINE us with some classic turn-based game, I doubt publicity will be a problem.

buzz

Arcane
If the old SSI team is going to INCLINE us with some classic turn-based game, I doubt publicity will be a problem.
:negative:they will certainly fuck up their campaign in some way and the Internet will throw a hissy fit over it. Look how many complained about the word "anime" appearing in there once.

buzz

Arcane
Uhm, the kickstarter consumer base? Old-school gamers internet?

I don't know, I'm afraid for this campaign. Even if they deliver the perfect pitch.

It feels like the "Internet" really grew a thick skin regarding kickstarter. The early days, some dude came on screen and said "We make old-school adventure/rpg/strategy" and people threw millions at him. Now, people come with actual prototypes and footage and they just get slightly more than they asked for (usually a very small amount).

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
:negative:they will certainly fuck up their campaign in some way and the Internet will throw a hissy fit over it. Look how many complained about the word "anime" appearing in there once.

In the church of western RPGs, anime is the greatest heresy of all. Keep any mention of that noxious shit away from my games.

buzz

Arcane
church of western RPGs
vlcsnap-2012-12-01-18h03m14s201.png
Meanwhile in the animu toxic land

313774-fire-emblem-awakening-gameplay.jpg

shin_megami_tensei_sj_sector_eridanus_2f.png

:codexisfor:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

In the church of western RPGs, anime is the greatest heresy of all. Keep any mention of that noxious shit away from my games.

dragon_age_2_fenris_render_lr_by_micro5797-d3c73m9.png

Cloud-FFVIIArt.png

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Uhm, the kickstarter consumer base? Old-school gamers internet?

I don't know, I'm afraid for this campaign. Even if they deliver the perfect pitch.

It feels like the "Internet" really grew a thick skin regarding kickstarter.

Who are you talking about?

Also NO ONE even knows a single thing about the GAME they are making. The PnP setting/books are a completely different thing.

buzz

Arcane
Who are you talking about?
I'm not sure what you are confused about. Kickstarter campaigns often fail or barely get their money, especially now. Remember Thorvalla and then Deathfire? People are overestimating the popularity of old-school RPGs and the pockets of their fanbase.

Also NO ONE even knows a single thing about the GAME they are making. The PnP setting/books are a completely different thing.
That's the point. People were bitching about something before we even got official announcements and explanations. They saw the word anime and got angry.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not about time, it's about being out of the public eye. They need to get back in the public eye with a bang - they had some publicity when they announced the company, but its been a while now and people have moved on.

They were never in the "public eye" in the first place.

Few sites reported about this, it is niche as fuck

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

They were never in the "public eye" in the first place.

Few sites reported about this, it is niche as fuck
I should have said "the little publicity they got when they announced the company", and that's the problem here.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I should have said "the little publicity they got when they announced the company", and that's the problem here.

You know, if only they had some kind of hook to get people interested now. Like, I don't know...maybe if they had a whole series of beloved CRPGs that they were known for. Maybe that would help.

buzz

Arcane
Eh, I don't think that Goldbox is that much of a giant brand name. It's made of multiple franchises that are 20+ years old. Even on the Abandonia forums I remember that not too many people talked about it, with conversations focus much more on Wizardry/Ultima/Might and Magic.
Besides, there's just kickstarter fatigue at play now. I mean, if Gollop who's the daddy of X-com (a franchise going strong even today) barely got funded in the last 1 or 2 days, with a demo of his game nonetheless ... :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not being available on GOG is probably a hard blow to what remains of the Gold Box games' brand awareness. The last time these games were available for sale was when Interplay did its "Forgotten Realms Archives" compilation rereleases in the late 90s.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, I wish some company (like those people that got to the problem with the System Shock 2 rights, and straightened it out) could do the same thing with the Gold Box Games. But it is probably not seen as to much of a profitable endeavor.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
You must collect all Seven Dragon Balls to wish that kind of thing.

:negative:

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Whatever they're planning to do, they better do it right. We've already had the Gold-Box legacy tarnished once in the early 2000s. My heart can only take so much.

mondblut

Arcane
The early days, some dude came on screen and said "We make old-school adventure/rpg/strategy" and people threw millions at him. Now, people come with actual prototypes and footage and they just get slightly more than they asked for (usually a very small amount).

Kickstarter is a business of peddling dreams. Whenever something begins taking shape, half the people pack their bags and leave, because that appears not what they dreamed of. "Actual prototypes" is a surefire way to ruin your pitch. Case in point, anime references.

Have a good snake oil salesman, and start revealing stuff *after* the funding is done, that's how kickstarters are won (causing immense butthurt by revealing shit people didn't want is an added bonus).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom