Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

crufty

Arcane
$ grep "turn based combat" TSI*.txt
$

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Just dropping by to say that my inner ten-year-old can't stop snickering at the URL http://wixmultimedia.com/tsigames/.

I know, I know, got nothing to do per se with the game, but (German for) "Wank Multimedia" is just too precious.

Apparently they've been in business for 25+ years, but that only makes it more hilarious to me.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I should have said "the little publicity they got when they announced the company", and that's the problem here.

You know, if only they had some kind of hook to get people interested now. Like, I don't know...maybe if they had a whole series of beloved CRPGs that they were known for. Maybe that would help.

That's not how it works. A writer who hasn't written a book in twenty years, a professional athlete who hasn't practised for decades, a band who broke up thirty years making a comeback with half of the original cast... The fact that they did something great once doesn't mean they'll be able to do it again after so long break. Especially when it comes to something like computer games.

I'd buy a new Gold Box game without a second of thought, but there isn't a company that could and would make one today.

The Bishop

Cipher
As if reasonable expectations is what drives kickstarter funding. Wasteland didn't have much of name recognition in 2012 either. It's all about selling it properly.

buzz

Arcane
As if reasonable expectations is what drives kickstarter funding. Wasteland didn't have much of name recognition in 2012 either. It's all about selling it properly.
Wasteland coat-tailed on the backs of the Fallout resemblance and being the second biggest kickstarter thing at the time, after DF's game.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Well, colour me impressed:

KxmKXPI.jpg

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
About the dwarven knight, or the fact that they haven't added any further content to the other sliders?

Or maybe... you will play a full party of dwarven knights!

I don't even know bro
It's both bland and sad: that lonely dwarf on that first slide is so bland and forgettable -- and then you get a 'template' slide with the same -- * Sigh.

Dorateen

Arcane
Well there is that elf-lady down on the bottom of the page. I kind of like the concept art. That headgear reminds of when Indiana Jones disguises himself to slip into the Well of Souls.

mondblut

Arcane
a band who broke up thirty years making a comeback with half of the original cast...

Seems to work for the bands. Even while everybody realizes they are now a pathetic parody of themselves, they still manage to sell stadiums the first couple of times. And then earn a decent living by touring thirdworldian shitholes like russia which couldn't see them in their prime.

In fact, if TSI could pull a "hello, we're Robert Plant and Jimmy Page, we're out of coke money, so we're having a Led Zeppelin one time reunion gig tonight", they'd secure their funding for a decade.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
That's not how it works. A writer who hasn't written a book in twenty years, a professional athlete who hasn't practised for decades, a band who broke up thirty years making a comeback with half of the original cast... The fact that they did something great once doesn't mean they'll be able to do it again after so long break. Especially when it comes to something like computer games.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but you're terrible at making it. And you're wrong. Ask the Eagles how getting together again after 20+ years worked out for them (spoiler: "Long Road Out of Eden" was the #1 album on release and went 7x platinum). And there are definitely authors who, if they went back to writing after 20 years, would probably sell extremely well.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I understand the point you're trying to make, but you're terrible at making it. And you're wrong. Ask the Eagles how getting together again after 20+ years worked out for them (spoiler: "Long Road Out of Eden" was the #1 album on release and went 7x platinum). And there are definitely authors who, if they went back to writing after 20 years, would probably sell extremely well.
The problem here is that they're late to the party. If they'd been among the first with the nostalgia trip (I'm looking at you, DoubleFine), they'd have made a ton of money . But there've been a number of such Kickstarters and they're not unique any more. At this point they have very little scope for mistakes, and that's basically too sad because I'd love to play remade Gold Box like games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The problem here is that they're late to the party. If they'd been among the first with the nostalgia trip (I'm looking at you, DoubleFine), they'd have made a ton of money . But there've been a number of such Kickstarters and they're not unique any more. At this point they have very little scope for mistakes, and that's basically too sad because I'd love to play remade Gold Box like games.

If they do their homework, and study Kickstarter VERY WELL (there are quite a few postmortems on the subject), they could have a really good KS Campaign (if that is what they are going to do). I really hope they do that.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
What gets me is how many people seem to be predicting the game as DOA based on just a sliver of information. Can we wait until we see what their full plan is before we call it all a waste of time?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There are the people here that are actually here to discuss, and then there are the shitposters. Click on their names, click Ignore, problem solved.

None of us have any fucking clue what this is going to be. For all we know it is about SPACE RACCOON'S THAT SHOOT LAZAR BEAMS FROM THEIR EYES.

buzz

Arcane
None of us have any fucking clue what this is going to be. For all we know it is about SPACE RACCOON'S THAT SHOOT LAZAR BEAMS FROM THEIR EYES.
Eh, unless they changed their minds halfway through the countdown or they're simply just trolling us with the websites and shit, it's most likely something Seven Dragon Saga related.
The short answer is that it isn’t entirely up to us. We are, however, incredibly excited about the new endeavor we’ve chosen.

Once our core team decided to embark on this venture, the very next question was: “what should we do for our first project?” We knew initially that we wanted to do a fantasy RPG but, we also needed to take a hard look at how the landscape has changed and what our development roadmap would look like. Fortunately, we had an immediate opportunity to work with a robust rule system and game world. The Seven Dragon Saga is the brainchild of David Shelley and Keith Brors (also an SSI alumni and veteran engineer). Both have been part of a weekly tabletop role-playing since before SSI formed. Being engineers and designers, David and Keith have created and refined their own system over the years. Licensing the game to TSI and getting to work on the computer game itself became a tremendous opportunity. TSI gained a developed system to work from, access to its creators, and the creative freedom to make the ideal game.

Opportunities to work with (insert favorite game/RPG system) are a definite possibility for the future.
From here. They even have a kickstarter button on the homepage, though it doesn't work right now.
They also shared images of Gold Box cover and Dark Sun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom