Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Null Null

Arbiter
In TSI's defense as far as the naming goes, they can't use the SSI name, because it's copyrighted. So, what's related to 'strategy', lets you echo 'TSR', another company with old-school appeal, as well as probably the kinds of people who know the difference between strategy and tactics (ie wargamers)? Right.

The real problem, IMHO, is that the one thing everyone can agree on here is that we'd like to see another Gold Box game--maybe a sequel to Treasures, or an uber-high-level sequel to Pools of Darkness, or the first-ever Eberron game. But, Ubisoft has the game rights and TSR has the D&D rights, so it's not going to happen, and anyone who gets too close will be attacked by beholders copyright lawyers. So they have to make a few deviations to make it sue-proof. Precisely what those deviations should be, you're all going to disagree on. One person loves the Indian/Middle Eastern setting but wants to stick to the old races and classes as much as possible. Another person thinks the GB series would be great if we just had weapon specialization. Another person would like to see the GB setting, but with thematic variations on all the classes.

No doubt this dynamic plays out as well with the boys at TSI, and before you know it we're going to have a completely new RPG with a couple of in-jokes about Phlan and the council clerk, and because these guys' heyday was 20 years ago, they're not going to make something that sells well in the current market.

Could be wrong. Sure hope I am.

Side question: why not steal FRUA (which actually has gold box mechanics) and make the game you enjoy for each other?

Null Null

Arbiter
Null Null TSR hasn't existed for a loooong time.
Yup (bought by Wizards of the Coast which was bought by Hasbro, for any newbies), but it remains a company with old school appeal. A lot of marketing is about subconscious appeal. People see 'TSI' and they think, 'oh, like TSR, like the old 1st ed D&D I played when I was in junior high'.

The real problem is that we can't take a time machine to 1992 and give the SSI guys a million dollars to make more games like we liked, and we can't also erase our memories of the 20 years of video games that have come out since then and raised our expectations of video game graphics, and we can't also make our aged minds stop asking the questions we never asked when we were 13, like 'how does Vala have a negative AC with that chainmail bikini?' and 'do the monsters in the Slums really not realize we've camped out in their old friends' lair and are resting before we kill the rest of them?'

m_s0

Arcane
The calm before the storm.
That really worries me. No one seems to give a shit, there's no press and the timer was basically completely ignored by everyone, seemingly including the people who put it up. I really hope they aren't planning on launching the Kickstarter right after it ends, but then again why would they bother with a timer if it didn't lead to that?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
my counter has been on 00:00 for over 5 minutes now

yeahhhh.gif

this misuse of a counter pisses me off!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Haha guys it hit zero in New Zealand like 10 hours ago. It goes by your timezone because TSI is low-efforting their website. They're based in California so it's more likely going to go up midnight PDT.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Haha guys it hit zero in New Zealand like 10 hours ago. It goes by your timezone because TSI is low-efforting their website. They're based in California so it's more likely going to go up midnight PDT.
I thought they fixed that the last time they had a countdown?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Noooooooooooooooooooooope. Still counting down for me.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The clock shows 5 1/2 hours for me... I certainly hope this is not indicative of their KS launch because if it is they have some issues.

Know that I really really want it to be good but...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like they delayed the expiration time by one day, BUT it still goes by visitor's timezone.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hate to say it since these guys deserve a chance on their own merits, but the best strategy going forward would probably to do a Mockbuster launch alongside Obsidian's second Kickstarter.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They can fuck up the launch of this all they want, and I won't give a shit.

IF they are going to deliver us a turn-based, tactically challenging Gold Box Like game, hell fucking yes.

BUT they need to do one hell of a good, and informative Kickstarter pitch. With fucking tons of specific info.

As sister Ru Paul says: DON'T FUCK IT UP!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, if they need more time to prepare it, they can.

Btw the-site-that-was-not-meant-to-be-public finally turned to private. No more scoop guys. :M (maybe)

m_s0

Arcane
Oh for fuck's sake. What is the point of a countdown if you just keep restarting it over and over again, and if that's the only thing you do with it? Over 13 hours left for me now and both the website and the 'fourm' are gone. So it appears they really missed the fact that people have already been registering and posting there for almost a week. That is not reassuring.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
is it a universal countdown now? mine is at 12h, 24mins.

m_s0

Arcane
Nah, it ended at the same time for both of us judging by this post:

my counter has been on 00:00 for over 5 minutes now

yeahhhh.gif

this misuse of a counter pisses me off!

msxyz

Augur
Counter still displays 10 hours for me (CET+1)

It's either vapourware or, ath this stage, they're not investing into proper PR, which actually might be a good thing after all...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It isn't, as they need a successful kickstarter to fund this. Inspiring thrust and professionalism is a must, that they are failing pretty hard...

Maybe they are scared of "Gamergate"? The media seems to be pretty autistic these days, and it will be hard to get funded without proper coverage.

Gozma

Arcane
Codex is the early release beta tester for their countdown

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom