Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Chronicles (formerly Shadowrun Online)

Shannow

Waster of Time
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online

I like that players can affect the world/story (at least it sounds like they'll be able to). I like that the combat is turn-based.
Otherwise: *shrug*
I'll give it a few days before I decide to chip in or not. The game's gonna be f2p anyway, so...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Attention! Achtung! Atencion!
It's a browser game. They have obviously updated the Kickstarter page from when I last visisted, and hidden that fact cuz it's quite off-putting. It still says browsergame in the FAQ though so they haven't changed their mind, just hidden it. Since I last visited the page, they have also added screenshots, so they've changed it for sure.

Oh yeah, I read the update now:

Client version

When the press release of our Kickstarter campaign hit the various online gaming news sites, there was a lot of discussion about Shadowrun Online being a "Browser game". Now, we only meant to describe one way players can access the game, but many people out there thought "Oh my god, it's a Casual Facebook game," and told us so. But we can assure you: Shadowrun Online is a full fledged 3D game for real gamers! Have a look at our in-game screenshots that are now moved to the frontpage - thanks to Bruce, Honeybadger and others for pointing that out - or check out our current game "Jagged Alliance Online" which is currently in Beta, but it can show you what a "Browser" game can really do and www.cliffhanger-productions.com will get you there!

At the same time some of our backers were asking if the game would also be available as a client game on platforms like Steam, and so we discussed that with our engineers, and can now proudly say that we will also release a client version of it! With this it will be totally up to you to decide if you want to play it in your browser, which can be played in fullscreen mode like any other PC or Mac video game, or download the client on to your harddrive and play it from there. We think this will give you a little bit of an idea about what we can accomplish with Shadowrun Online!​

Still, even RuneScape has a "client".
It's also F2P so unless you're super passionate about it, there's no need to pledge.
They have pay-to-win rewards as well.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera

Haraldur

Augur
How many MMOs have been successfully kickstarted? It does not seem to me that there is a dearth of these types of games, so one might expect that the kickstarter demand for them would be low. Point-and-click adventures, yes, old-school RPGs (what is an RPG?), yes, but MMORPG?

Kz3r0

Arcane
How many MMOs have been successfully kickstarted? It does not seem to me that there is a dearth of these types of games, so one might expect that the kickstarter demand for them would be low. Point-and-click adventures, yes, old-school RPGs (what is an RPG?), yes, but MMORPG?
The apposite section in the Kickstarter Watch thread is almost completely red, until now only two tech demo for investors and three full fledged MMOs.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
would if i could, but since yesterday i'm back to no internet at home.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I already put my money in.

Really hope they can reach their goal. There are good MMOs (and browser games!) out there, and they seem as if they could deliver.
I really don't give a shit if it is in a browser or a client. Take Drakensang Online, for example. It starts in the browser, but you can go fullscreen. Problem solved. And I'm pretty sure this is also true for their Jagged Alliance Online game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They have a new update: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online/posts

Basically, they now also offer a Guild Wars-like model in which you pay for the game once and then simply play. And then get all the updates and new stuff for a certain amount of time.
So we have that one and also the free-to-play version as they had it planned anyway (with microtransactions, monthly VIP-status, etc.).

Just have a look at the update, they explain it better than I do ;)

I think that's a nice solution for people who are very afraid of f2p and browser games :)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Pay2win is good. I don't have to care about this shit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What is this doing differently from WOW? And more importantly, what is it taking from Ultima Online?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
What is this doing differently from WOW?
Uhm... what? Seriously? Okay... turn-based combat, party control, the fucking Shadowrun license (best PnP universe there is, IMHO), players shall shape the world (heavily affecting economy for example), meaningful missions (actual runs, in contrast to "kill X rats") and whatnot. I guess the only thing in common with WoW is that there are other players ;)
Seriously, just watch the latest update with its 2 videos.

And more importantly, what is it taking from Ultima Online?
Not the graphics, that's for sure :D

Playing SR runs online was always something I would love to do. And I mean besides some tools like D20Pro or so. If they manage to make that right and consist of more than only combat, this might be what I've been hoping for since I started playing SR. So I put high hopes into this for very personal reasons ;)

Oh... wait... I just got trolled, right?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wait wat? IT's turned based? I just saw Shadowrun MMO and went r00fles! Whatever and didn't even read the site.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
yes it's turn based. jagged alliance online is also turn based, if you want to see a game done by the same developer and with similar core elements in action (*nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*).

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
For those who missed it, toro in particular:
357b4ff08e672cbda4e960db41182e77_large.jpg

There is a pay2play, win4free alternative. This shit suddenly turned interesting, I'm pledging!
:takemymoney:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yep, I'm still not throwing a dime away at a game with that kind of business model.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, that looks terrible. At first glance I thought it was a choice of plan for the game to follow, not two types of server.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom