Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Chronicles (formerly Shadowrun Online)

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
For those who missed it, toro in particular:
There is a pay2play, win4free alternative. This shit suddenly turned interesting, I'm pledging!

Can you define "win4free"?
The opposite of "pay2win" :)

Nice try. The real options are: pay2win (microtransactions) or milk-me-with-DLCs. And considering that you have to actually donate MONEY for both of them, which option is the "win4free"?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
You're only eligible to win4free once you've paid2play, you know, how most games work.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I like that the combat is turn-based.
Wait wat? IT's turned based? I just saw Shadowrun MMO and went r00fles! Whatever and didn't even read the site or Shannow's two little lines. Dildo redding is teh hard.
I iz buttzhurtz (not homo).

Anyway, the new (GW-like) model sounds perfectly fine. Still have to check some game-play in a quiet moment, before I cough up the 25$...

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Very nice looking game, but Kicktraq thinks they are going to fail. I don't understand why this isn't getting the interest. Is it because of the "free to play" model, or because it looks publisher funded?

kaizoku

Arcane
Very nice looking game, but Kicktraq thinks they are going to fail. I don't understand why this isn't getting the interest. Is it because of the "free to play" model, or because it looks publisher funded?

Independently of the free to fap, or gay for pay, or whatever...
Why do I want to put my money on this if I'm already going to have an offline TB Shadowrun game?
This is really bad timing.

I suspect the reason this isn't getting funded is because:
1) we already have (or will have anyway) a TB Shadowrun game, that plays offline
2) people who like TB games, old gamers, don't like online games

What fucks me up the most is that why do they have to force it to be an online game?
Why can't you play offline and also have multiplayer mode. That pleases everyone. why!? WHY!? :'(
And I'm saying this only for this game, but but JA Online too! FFS!

Why don't those Cliffhanger dudes and the other dudes making SR Returns band together to make an even bigger SR Returns game? Both are using UnityEngine AFAIK and have similar gameplay style.
y8XpW.jpg

Different companies. They aren't simply going to merge.

fake edit:
*sigh*
Considering they already have so much work done... I may even go on blind lemming capitalism mode and drop them some gold.
I have to say it could be fun being part of a Kodex Kafkaesque Klan spreading terror and mayhem among other inferior clans.

But what happens when the company closes its doors. No more servers. You can't play it no more? (it wouldn't be the first time)

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Why can't you play offline and also have multiplayer mode. That pleases everyone. why!? WHY!? :'(
And I'm saying this only for this game, but but JA Online too! FFS!

Two possibilities. They think single player mode will cut into their free to play profits, or they haven't thought of offering it single player. I know free to play if done right, is a license to print money, so it could be the first reason.

Destroid

Arcane
They probably don't have the rights to do a singleplayer game since that is being done by another company.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
judging from jao and its small maps, stupid ai, and two people standing right next to each other firing forever while both are missing it won't be much of a loss if it doesn't get funded.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Too bad there's no stand-alone singleplayer or something because that looks great. I hope the other Shadowrun game (which I pledged to) does something similar.

I wouldn't mind just playing solo in an online game. But as soon as other people are involved, I want an even gaming field. The only cheat I'll allow is pre-order headstart (like most MMORPGs do) because anyone serious about the game will pre-order anyway. +% exp gain is bullshit. A few days early access is just good. Much better server load.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online
Doesn't look too promising, but I kind of hope they make it. They seem like serious guys at least, even if they put pay to win bullshit in it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep, I also think they won't make it.
500000 is just too much for a company that not too many people know about and who have nothing to show yet but another MMO in beta phase. Shadowrun Returns is made by the goddamn creator of SR, nothing can beat that. Also, try convincing people to fund a FREE to play MMO, it seems harder than initially thought.

But I think they'll just make another campaign aiming for 400000 or something like that.

Morkar Left

It looks interesting and it looks like they are really interested in the franchise. The payment models they offer sound fair to me, too.

The problem I have is that it is multiplayer. I'm not really interested in multiplayer or mmo (I tried with Everquest, WoW , Neocron 2, Diablo 2). The plus-side is it's turnbased and how runs are structured in SR it makes sense to have it mp. It doesn't feel like a forced concept.

The negative side is it's free to play, encouraging to just wait and see instead of kickstarting it. The other downside is we don't know if it will be economically feasible to keep the game afloat and available for a longer time.

Does anybody know if you can only play with one char or if you can manage your own group of runners on a run?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
codex hailing a brower game. :declining:
August 2012. Codex users still sitting in their victorian chairs with gaslamps, shitting on a (promising) browser (and client!) game just because.
Lack of :incline:.

I have no doubt they will make and release this game, one way or another, with kickstarter 500k or 400k. Whatever.
And yeah, I'm all for a codex runner agency.

kaizoku

Arcane
Too bad there's no stand-alone singleplayer or something because that looks great. I hope the other Shadowrun game (which I pledged to) does something similar.

I wouldn't mind just playing solo in an online game. But as soon as other people are involved, I want an even gaming field. The only cheat I'll allow is pre-order headstart (like most MMORPGs do) because anyone serious about the game will pre-order anyway. +% exp gain is bullshit. A few days early access is just good. Much better server load.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online
Doesn't look too promising, but I kind of hope they make it. They seem like serious guys at least, even if they put pay to win bullshit in it.
Well they do claim to have single player mode.
I'm just not sure how exactly this works in practice. Do you have to be online all the time? Do you see and hear all the other players? Do you play in the common affected persistent world?

And their "campaign server" seems pretty cool and solves all problems with pay2win.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online/posts/273675

Yep, I also think they won't make it.
500000 is just too much for a company that not too many people know about and who have nothing to show yet but another MMO in beta phase. Shadowrun Returns is made by the goddamn creator of SR, nothing can beat that. Also, try convincing people to fund a FREE to play MMO, it seems harder than initially thought.

But I think they'll just make another campaign aiming for 400000 or something like that.

I think the main problem is: we already have another SR game.

codex hailing a brower game. :declining:
IIRC they said they also release a normal game client (they're using unity 4).

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
They explain that on their updates and site.

Of course, a run is perfect for instancing. Like the dungeons in DDO.
But in SRO, some of those will have two (or more) player teams trying to fulfill their own contradicting goals.

So what I expect in that "pseudo-mmo" style are some hubs where all players can be, and they will certainly also have some kind of matrix interface, and runs will take place instanced.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
August 2012. Codex users still sitting in their victorian chairs with gaslamps, shitting on a (promising) browser (and client!) game just because.
have you played jao? browser game limitations are very much noticeable there in the form of smallish maps with shitty (linear corridor or at best three separate corridors) map design right out of the realm of portable consoles (maps are even smaller than on regular consoles, that is). it's made by the same people and serves as the basis for sro, so this being a browser game has very much bearing on gameplay.
the only difference between the browser and the client version will be loading times, not map design.

oh, and anyone claiming this is promising should really really try the jao open beta first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom