Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I fooled around with the editor when the first campaign came out and you could definitely place "boss AI" wherever. I imagine someone could easily go through and change every enemy to a boss, though I doubt it would feel balanced at all.
Since you were balls-deep in the editor, did most of the enemies have 3+ AP?

Not sure, I never got around to designing battles. I just know from placing enemies in a preliminary fashion that you can choose their AI behavior and "boss" was one of them.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I fooled around with the editor when the first campaign came out and you could definitely place "boss AI" wherever. I imagine someone could easily go through and change every enemy to a boss, though I doubt it would feel balanced at all.
Since you were balls-deep in the editor, did most of the enemies have 3+ AP?
Most enemies have three or more AP but they can only do one movement action and one agressive/buff action, doesn't matter how many AP they have. You can set the Ai to the boss preset and they are going to use all their attacks but on the boss preset, the ai has the tendency of not caring too much with survival and ignore cover, they do alot of damage but die quick if you don't do some serious buffing on their armor and health. It is totally doable to place one or two elite boss guys mixed with the goons but changing ALL the AI to boss would require some serious rebalancing.

Does anyone else think Cyberpunk 2077 will crush this game into oblivion, to the point where there's no purpose for modding it? They still need easily imported portraits, music, and editable weapons or no one will mod this game 5 years from now.

pippin

Does anyone else think Cyberpunk 2077 will crush this game into oblivion, to the point where there's no purpose for modding it? They still need easily imported portraits, music, and editable weapons or no one will mod this game 5 years from now.

It's not like NWN killed the Infinity Engine crew. IIRC there's only a trailer of the Cyberpunk game, and knowing how CDPR has handled the Witcher games, I don't know if it's going to be real competition.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Some shitty real time action game better than Shadowrun? lol

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

As others said, almost completely different genres.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

Not really.. well depending on the audience it's going for.

I don't really know anything about the PnP version so I'm coming at it new. However it seems that most 'fans' who have expectations of this also want it full of LGBT content claiming that was what it was about in the first place. So that seems to be who it's being made for according to the bleeting going on in the forums.

I was quite pumped for it when I heard 'Cyberpunk rpg', but it seems to be being made for the Bio crowd, so I don't really give a shit about it any more. I dare say I'll have a look at release time, but I've not got a reason to be hyped for it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
What's LGBT content?

I just fired up the first game for the first time. Just pocking around. The game doesn't seem bad, but i'm getting a funny vibe from the writing. It is feels very... Bioware.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
What's LGBT content?

I just fired up the first game for the first time. Just pocking around. The game doesn't seem bad, but i'm getting a funny vibe from the writing. It is feels very... Bioware.

'Fired it up'? You know I'm talking about 'Cyberpunk 2077', right,? the CDP game that's in production atm.

If you're talking about the writing in D: DC being Bio-ish, I have to admit I didn't get that impression when I played it. I actually found the writing to be very good in the world it was trying to portray, and it didn't have to rely on fake 'shipping to hold it up, a HUGE plus in my book. It just got on with the story, I really liked that about it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What's LGBT content?

Some of the character interaction feels a little Bioware-y at times, but it's not that bad.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's LGBT content?

Some of the character interaction feels a little Bioware-y at times, but it's not that bad.

Aside from that, strictly speaking, 'Biowarian' isn't necessarily a bad thing, inasmuch as William Shatner isn't necessarily a bad thing and James Cameron isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Curious that all these things are Canadian.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm a bit further along (talking about Dead Man's Switch here), and so far i'm pretty satisfied with the amount of dialogue i'm getting, though i still say the writing is uneven. I think it kinda likes edge for this type of setting. Plus, i've already encountered one instance of disgusting nerd baiting (cutesy elvish bartender who giggles at your jokes but she's like, smart and stuff 'cause she's working to get her biochemical engineering degree omg ain't she adorable?).

Ahem, anyway. What's a good way to get lot's of dialogue options without gimping myself to oblivion?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
At character start I get Karma to 4(?) I believe that lets you pick 2 etiquette's.

I *believe* you can only get etiquette's at character creation (Is that correct, I forget).

pippin

At character start I get Karma to 4(?) I believe that lets you pick 2 etiquette's.

I *believe* you can only get etiquette's at character creation (Is that correct, I forget).

You can add more etiquettes if you raise Charisma during the game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK thanks. For some reason I was thinking they can only be picked at char creation. Probably confusing it with a different PnP ruleset.

roshan

Arcane
Playing the OC now and at the last mission. It's actually been quite a fun romp so far. But fighting the bugs is really tedious. :(

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Are you sure it's all patched and up to date?

I found it to be quite polished, and by 'quite' I mean I didn't hit one single bug or glitch (EDIT..that stuck out enough for me to notice), although I do certainly concede exceptions to one's personal experiences.

roshan

Arcane
The game is nice and all but the engine still needs a shitload of performance and usability improvements. Everything takes so long and happens so slowly. Animations and isometric RPGs really don't mix together well. Basic actions like reloading your weapon take painfully long. I don't get why the fuck the game needs to ask if I really want to reload the weapon. I fucking clicked reload, didn't I? And when you click something, there seems to always be a delay between when you click and when it actually happens, it's probably just a split second, but it really adds to the annoyance. And then the reload animation needs to play, and the reload text slowly floats up. Why the hell does the game need to tell me TWICE that I reloaded a weapon, that too after already asking me twice whether I want to reload?

Another thing that I find extremely annoying is that the game keeps moving the camera around, and I keep needing to move it back. Let's say I have the camera centered on an enemy I want to shoot. If I reload, the camera slowly moves to the character reloading, and then I need to watch the pointless animation play and then again move the camera back to the enemy. Why does Harebrained require me to watch that crappy animation all the time? What's the point? Also if I click on a characters portrait, it will move the camera to that character whether or not the character is already on the screen. Why does the game need to do this? I know what character I am clicking on. I just want to select the character, and then shoot the enemy. Why do I need to watch the camera move and then move it back? Also if I cast a spell or use an item on a party member, again the camera will move uselessly, even though for most spells you already know what the effect is going to be.

The Infinity Engine games get a lot of flak here at the Codex for having "shitty RTWP" but every RPG I've played since then has made me miss that engine deeply :( :( :( And weirdly enough no turn based RPG has managed to come up with a combat system anywhere near as good.

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher

Maybe it would hurt the sales, but not the fanbase.
Shadowrun is a turn-based isometric RPG, while Cyberpunk 2077 willl likely be a 1st/1rd person real-time open-world sandbox. (if they follow the road taken with The Witcher)
Different gameplay, different playerbase.
Although i am curious to try Cyberpunk, even if it is the last game from CD Projekt Red that i try.

I thought that Shawdowrun used the infinity engine. If not, it means that i found no single game that render well on the infinity engine.

roshan

Arcane

I found it to be quite polished, and by 'quite' I mean I didn't hit one single bug or glitch (EDIT..that stuck out enough for me to notice), although I do certainly concede exceptions to one's personal experiences.

Well it isn't that the game is buggy, it's just that the combat/engine is a struggle to deal with. Fighting the bugs in particular is very annoying, because they're easy to dispatch, but the astral form only lasts one turn, and you need to hit them four times to kill, and with the weapons needing to be reloaded every two shots (which is a tiresome and painfully long process), each character can only get two shots at them. So if your characters miss, you need to repeat the process of killing the bug and then have to again try and take down the astral form. It isn't challenging, it's just a huge waste of time.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

Well it isn't that the game is buggy, it's just that the combat/engine is a struggle to deal with. Fighting the bugs in particular is very annoying, because they're easy to dispatch, but the astral form only lasts one turn, and you need to hit them four times to kill, and with the weapons needing to be reloaded every two shots (which is a tiresome and painfully long process), each character can only get two shots at them. So if your characters miss, you need to repeat the process of killing the bug and then have to again try and take down the astral form. It isn't challenging, it's just a huge waste of time.

I really must have enjoyed the game far too much to notice a lot of the issues people seem to have with the game. I found it quite smooth to play, never had enough of a problem with the engine for it to have become an annoyance, enjoyed the new animations a whole lot and didn't find any problems with the mechanics... I'll agree on your point about the centring camera, but this isn't the only game to have that, it's come to be expected, although, not appreciated. I found the lack of persistence and proper inventory management a pity but only because the game would have been much better with them, but it's not 'bad' without them.

Yeah, I love this game all over.

Phinx

Augur

I really must have enjoyed the game far too much to notice a lot of the issues people seem to have with the game. I found it quite smooth to play, never had enough of a problem with the engine for it to have become an annoyance, enjoyed the new animations a whole lot and didn't find any problems with the mechanics... I'll agree on your point about the centring camera, but this isn't the only game to have that, it's come to be expected, although, not appreciated. I found the lack of persistence and proper inventory management a pity but only because the game would have been much better with them, but it's not 'bad' without them.

Yeah, I love this game all over.

Yeah I'm really hoping the next release will have changes that mostly cater towards gameplay. This game can only get better if they add more cyberware slots, more spell variations and stealth. Persistence would be a major bonus as well but too much work on their part so I'm not really expecting to see it.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Too bad there isn't going to be Shadowrun 2. I still don't understand why they decided to drop this quite successful franchise and make a game about cemeteries or something (already forgot its name).

roshan

Arcane
This is unbelievably shitty gameplay. My characters usually take AP damage against the bugs, so I'm usually left with only 4 shots at them, out of which all four need to hit, because each shot always does only 13 damage with no chance of critical, and the spirit forms happen to have 40 HP, just enough to survive four shots. With an average chance to hit of around 75%, I need to rely on pure luck to take one down, otherwise I repeat the process again from the beginning.

Even if in one turn I can kill three bugs, the next turn I will only be able to kill one spirit form (that too if I am lucky), and need to kill the other two bugs again the next turn. No strategy, no thinking (there is really only one weapon to use against the astral bugs), this is just pure tedium and repetitiveness. I've tried using overwatch to get in extra shots at the astral forms, but it seems that it's very bugged, sometimes setting it seems to prematurely end the turn of all my characters, and it doesn't trigger consistently at all.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom