Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun modules

NotTale

Learned
I like the promiser of the editor tbh..
It's far from the best editor out there. I might even say it's the worst I've used, except maybe Dragon Age. But I guess it gets points for not making me sculpt the landscape.

There is promise in how it handles environments, but I'm not sure how much. You can mix and match parts to your hearts desire, but some of them really really do not work together, and require lots of silly fiddling to get for those that do. And lots of basic things that are missing.

But fuck if all the other ones out there don't have their own bullshit.

DeepOcean

Arcane
But I guess it gets points for not making me sculpt the landscape.
This is one of the main reasons I like the editor, while the parts many times don't fit all that well, I can quickly make something that looks decent without the mind numbing activity of sculping the terrain to make thing look as believable terrain instead of modern art. The main reason a gave up on NWN 2 editor was that all exterior areas looked boring amateurish shit, unless I spend alot of time sculpting. Another, reason is that I don't need to type all functions as they are visually represented, a few clicks and job done, there is no need to type scripting commands that is an activity that can get repetitive very fast and demand alot of work.

NotTale

Learned
Neverwinter Nights 2 was the last time I did any serious editor work. And there was just so much debugging for my scripts. I guess another point here is that the way they have it, there's less to debug when a problem occurs.

Both because of the menu based scripts and it being lighter on detail, so I can descriptive instead of cinematic.

It's kind of the flip of the are design. You can do less, but it's simpler to manage.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I wonder, an all troll bar named Codexia.

Should be awesome.
Based out of Chicago, Bug City. The place where douchebags from other dimensions congregate.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Neverwinter Nights 2 was the last time I did any serious editor work. And there was just so much debugging for my scripts. I guess another point here is that the way they have it, there's less to debug when a problem occurs.

Both because of the menu based scripts and it being lighter on detail, so I can descriptive instead of cinematic.

It's kind of the flip of the are design. You can do less, but it's simpler to manage.

I remember when I was trying to restart my Ultima IX remake project, moving it from Neverwinter Nights 1 (and it was 70% complete when I quitted, NWN1 gets you satisfying results FAST) to NWN2 ; I was stunned at how powerful the editor was but realized it'd take around 6 months to make a city believable in my spare time. Gave up after two days or so.

Then the "7 years in the making Baldur's Gate recreation mod" came out, everybody thought it was a waste of time, and I was glad I gave up.

IMO, the editor is quite simple and leads to really pretty levels (lighting is a bitch though). That being said, trying to add some actual functionality for something dissimilar to the OC will lead to a clusterfuck like the Life on a Limb module.

I personally am saving myself for DOS, but would very much like to see low key noir runs from others more familiar with the Shadowrun Setting

Machine

Arbiter
Finally had some more time to work on my little scene, it's near completed now. Since I won't be able to implement all I want in this scene before next patch (reasons explained below) gonna post this small demo here.

WARNING! this module contains bad writing, possible lore-breaking dialogues/plot, and general retardness. If you have a problem with any of these please don't bother.

Here's the link.

(Either drop this .zip in USER\AppData\Local\Harebrained Schemes\Shadowrun Returns\ContentPacks\ or extract the folder into standard USER\Documents\Shadowrun Returns\ContentPacks\ then open in editor and do Publish Files Locally.)

It's more accurate to call this first area "my scripting playground" cause that's basically what I used it for. Didn't have much plan for the area, just drew crossroads and started adding stuff that came to my mind. Some of things are pretty unnecessary (like telling your friend to wait) , I added em only to learn how you could scipt certain events. My writing skills are a joke, I just tried to keep it more less simple and megacringe-free, its hard to judge it objective as non-native english speaker.

Known Issues/Shortcomings :
-"Talk Your Way in" method only works for females at the moment, male version was scrapped along with basement layer of this map ( NONE stair down props:x ? ) I already have idea for it, will implement it after next patch, which brings me to next thing

-Hostage Situation - after using the bullshit your way in method, you end up in small cutscene that I cannot finish scripting currently cause its impossible to revive people via script. (posted about this on official forums, and HBS guy/girl said it will be possible in next patch, which means editor might get more updates as well.) So both male/female bullshit methods are on hold for the moment, you can see more less the whole thing (as fem pc) but you wont be able to progress past the hostage resolution (whichever way it ends in).

-Matrix Scripting is SHIT - If your PC is decker, you will have an option to explore small matrix scene (no combat, just small bit of information + mini sidequest possibly), but I didn't bother finishing this scene yet cause forcing somebody out of matrix via script is apparently impossible (or nobody knows to tell me how). I just wanted simple "jack out ON dialogue end" , will find a workaround when I have more time. It's working now.

-Storeroom is defunct - originally planned as scripting exercise where you alternate control between two characters in real time between few key events. Just didn't bother with this yet. Eventually it will just give out some random lowbie loot.

-Lighting and maps in general are VERY unfinished (especially club, initially planned as two-story place, just using placeholder version atm)

-Actors need more polish (models and stats, general difficulty, cleaning up dialogue derp, etc)

-Sometimes opening conversation in ch1 will bug out, I think it's an engine bug, didn't manage to figure it out yet. Sometimes you wont be able to read your reply options, you get get blank buttons.

-Certain (if not most) dialogues are kinda terrible (in my own opinion) but serve as placeholders. Planning to revisit every conversation once I'm done with couple of maps.

TL;DR download my shitty demo mission if you are interested in half finished maps.

Edit: Updated the file with fix for glitch Jackalope found, also Matrix scene exit should be working now (courtesy of some guy on SR forums)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Use elevators to do different floors (just make a door with a box, and when they use it the next floor loads).

Machine

Arbiter
TL;DR download my shitty demo mission if you are interested in half finished maps.

Tried it. What I saw seems good enough, though there's obviously more work to be done. Can't get in the warehouse though, instead Stasha teleports and says "You didn't think you'd leave me here."

Yeah should take another look at that, since I made a bit of clusterfuck with redundant "wait here" option at begining. Like I said was mostly practise for some other levels I had planned for later.
Honestly I learned alot about scripting from experimenting in that scene, it becomes much easier when you get a good grasp how to structure things you want to acomplish. Some of work I did first (mainly the street stuff) is kinda messy and needs to be reworked from ground up.

Edit : fixed now, had one OR check too many :oops:

Eyeball

Arcane
Cool, somebody already made a "random mission generator" mod. I'd love to see something like that implemented into the longer campaigns, particularly ones with more expensive runners and gear. Need a few more nuyen to afford hiring ubermage Akumi before hitting that fortified Renraku research lab? No problem, just do a random mission or two to build up the nuyen and karma needed to be competitive.

Bring back that sweet Genesis SR feel!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Editor will save it. Never understood the Codex's hard on for mod tools when you can probably count on one hand the number of good mods/campaigns anyone on here has ever created. People just like to dick around with it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Editor will save it. Never understood the Codex's hard on for mod tools when you can probably count on one hand the number of good mods/campaigns anyone on here has ever created. People just like to dick around with it.
Wait to see my module then, in 1 or 2 weeks, I'm finishing it after I finish the more complicated trigger settings and finish trying to make light work. It will be small, it has 2 exterior areas and 5 interior areas ready, the conversations are ready , the triggers to map transition, Ai patrols, ai spawn, goals,skill checks, quest items are in place , my main ploblem in the trigger area is how to put triggers to autosave and end the turn based combat mode on a convenient manner. The two biggest general problems I have is that:1) I have no idea if the combat is so hard to the point of being impossible or so easy to the point of being pointless and I'm not enthusiastic with the idea of playing it alot just to test this. 2) I tried to avoid cliche or bizarre shit that modders do thinking that they are writing but I risk of just trying too hard and being too verbose and while shit seems wonderful to me, it could be easily shit as I lack perspective.

I plan to add shit to it later, right now it has only a bigger quest and some small side quests but it will be a mission of breaking and entering when it will be possible to totally avoid combat with a high charisma and the right etiquettes, avoid combat by contolling the cameras with a decker to locate and avoid patrols, using rigger drones to spy the enemy from hidden spots and kill a few isolated enemies to soft things up when the shit gets real and if you trigger the alarm by assalting the main gate, prepare for a good fight (that is the main problem, on the campaign you can easily defeat the enemies even if heavily outnumbered as the enemies really have shit stats, but I already upgraded the stats, so I don't know if it is possible to win the fight as the enemy heavily outnumber you). I discovered that stealing shit from the campaign and shadowrun short stories/sourcebooks is by far the most efficient manner of making a module so you don't spend hours wondering how the quests and dialog are going to be or waste alot of time making each building individually.

Zetor

Arcane
Is anyone planning to make a high level module or something similar at all?
I've been working on a fairly large module myself... just finished the skippable prologue (3 scenes) and started work on the first actual "session" (the module is based off an actual SR campaign).

Re editor: It's definitely possible to do multiple solution paths / nonlinear solutions to problems within the editor. It is kinda weak when it comes to scripted cutscenes, but that's ok because fuck scripted cutscenes.

edit:
That's going to be difficult, considering I've already created more than 5 :smug:

I'd love to test it out, seeing as I'm trying something similar, except I'm designing my own shitty quests and some faction dynamics+branching.
Maybe I am just retarded, branching seems very difficult to implement and faction dynamics just plain impossible. If you do manage some of this stuff with the editor, a tutorial would be awesome.

Also request for all the posts with good editor advice to be linked in OP.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm holding off on doing anything right now until they update the editor. Just too many annoyances to deal with right now.

Machine

Arbiter
Maybe I am just retarded, branching seems very difficult to implement and faction dynamics just plain impossible. If you do manage some of this stuff with the editor, a tutorial would be awesome.

Also request for all the posts with good editor advice to be linked in OP.

Well you could use story variables for both, it would just take crazy amount of work for factions. Create INT story variable for each faction and update the amount as you progress. (base faction level int=1, made progress int=2, faction fucking hates you int =120, etc). You would need lots and lots of scripts that call on these variables ingame though.

For branching it's not that hard imo, depending how huge your story is in the first place. Using bool variables you could set simpler shit like DID QUEST X =true or ACTOR Y DEAD = TRUE, and just have branching conversation that would check for these and direct your story that way. You still need to make all the story variants though. In my own module I'm planning to do this to have different paths/outcomes, it's not really hard just work you need to do multiplies.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I'm also holding off at the moment until I "get" how the lighting can be placed a bit more comprehensible..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom