Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun modules

Maybe I am just retarded, branching seems very difficult to implement and faction dynamics just plain impossible.

yeah, the dialogue editor is simply utter shit. big dialogues get lost because of the missing side scroll option. the identation setting doesn't help that much. you can't link pc nodes and you have to create an empty pc node to get conditional checks on npc nodes... welcome to clusterfuck. eventually you get the job done but it's totally clunky and needlessly "complicated". obsidian's dialogue editors are so much more powerful.
This.
Between the passing story variables to saves manual and this tedious busywork of dialogue, killed my motivation for making anything tangible.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well i played around with the dialogue editor for a while and decided i cant be bothered... They need to fix a few things with the editor. And some things are simply clunky.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The game I think does a good job of showing possibilities, really showcasing the world they built.
I wonder if it's possible to do a mission in Dallas, where it's essentially like Berlin was during the cold war, a divided city.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Maybe I am just retarded, branching seems very difficult to implement and faction dynamics just plain impossible.

yeah, the dialogue editor is simply utter shit. big dialogues get lost because of the missing side scroll option. the identation setting doesn't help that much. you can't link pc nodes and you have to create an empty pc node to get conditional checks on npc nodes... welcome to clusterfuck. eventually you get the job done but it's totally clunky and needlessly "complicated". obsidian's dialogue editors are so much more powerful.
Getting dialogue done is a pain in the ass because there is no way to organize the screen and before you notice, there is a jungle of dialogue lines where you are not sure what dialog line belongs to what dialog loop. Now, I know why the dialog trees in the game are so simplistic, because it is a pain in the ass to make more complex dialog with that disorganized clusterfuck. I'm still working on my vapourware but they don't wanting to add more functionality to the editor is just they being stupid because some basic stuff need more work.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Has the editor saved it yet?
Yes and no, there are a few decent modules around already like Shadowrun unlimited, From the shadows, jacked up, street samurai catalog and alpha of the SNES reboot,people are still learning how to use the thing or waiting for HBS stop being dumbfucks and patch the editor because the conversation editor, save system and area trasition system are really, really clunky.

Hegel

Arcane
Little town is pretty cool as well. A bit too hard if I have to say.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Just did From The Shadows Act 1. That was really good.

things i liked;

- dialogue checks can give karma
- faux stealth system where if you dont break enemies line of sight before they are aware that you are there = unseen
- not completely linear (i had the option to go back to a previous part of the level to re-search it for example)
- balanced for HARD difficulty!

things that need some tweaking;

- i feel like i had to spend certain skill points after restarting two times

DeepOcean

Arcane
- faux stealth system where if you dont break enemies line of sight before they are aware that you are there = unseen
How this works exactly? I'm trying to do the same thing with my module. Did you tried the Shadows, silence and quiet bomb spells or silencers ? I tried the official forum for a confirmation if they really work for a decent stealth alternative and didn't got a decent answer.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The editor needs to be saved first.

Editor will edit it... self.
It will edit itself to the point of gaining self-awareness then proceed to eliminate HBS members for their lazy aborted creation called Shadowrun returns OC, the game where the people that hate it know it's shit and people that like it suspect it's shit but the game is cheap and they are waiting for Wasteland 2 anyway.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The editor needs to be saved first.

Editor will edit it... self.
It will edit itself to the point of gaining self-awareness then proceed to eliminate HBS members for their lazy aborted creation called Shadowrun returns OC, the game where the people that hate it know it's shit and people that like it suspect it's shit but the game is cheap and they are waiting for Wasteland 2 anyway.
Thus does Prosper's AI come to life.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Some very encouraging news from the forums:

HBS dev said:
Thanks for the message and for the support!

We're very busy with the updates, Linux, localization and tablet versions + Berlin but we know there are a ton of feature requests for the editor. Those feature requests are important but expensive to implement so we have to prioritize this way for now.

A lot of people predicted that HBS would ignore the editor completely; this is proof that they didn't.

Clarification on the so-called lighting "bug":

Q: I was wondering will the editor ever be able to render lighting as if it were in game.

A: No plans for a fix at this moment. This is the same editor functionality we used to create the game and understand the issue.

And the first hints at an expanded skill system:

There are no plans to expand the skill/stat system for Berlin. It's still too early to see that we need to until enough DLC is created to support it.

This game is only going to get better and more flexible as time goes on. It sounds like they're gearing up for at least another 4 or 5 DLC campaigns.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Some very encouraging news from the forums:

HBS dev said:
Thanks for the message and for the support!

We're very busy with the updates, Linux, localization and tablet versions + Berlin but we know there are a ton of feature requests for the editor. Those feature requests are important but expensive to implement so we have to prioritize this way for now.

A lot of people predicted that HBS would ignore the editor completely; this is proof that they didn't.
You highlighted the wrong part. Fixed.

KickAss

Augur
So I've been playing "A stitch in time".
It's a pretty long module, relatively well written. Combat is relatively easy even on hard, but some fights are difficult. A lot of optional quests, hidden objectives, sometimes different ways to solve a quest.
IMO, better than the original campaign..

Source of rage - long fights where mooks are not under your direct control & you need to keep alive.

Kitako

Arcane
Tried (not completed, so take my comments as you wish):

Nightmare Harvest: didn't play much, since it really couldn't stand up to the good description. "No golden-breadcrumb trail" just means you don't get quest markers, but it's all pretty linear and plain A to B to C story. Bonus point for having instakill for doing stupid shit.

Shadowrun Unlimited: good sandbox concept, the execution is totally castrated by the lack of content. You have really few (boring) mission and you keep repeating them over and over to grind few karma points. Good concept of having upkeep costs (docwagon contract, your rent), unbalanced economy. I apreciate the intent of slow pacing, but repeating the same 5min run for 10 times in a row is too much for me. (Mission were randomized, but all in the same places. Like "grab some documents in room A in this lab" and "grab a sample in room B in the same lab").
The mod clearly state that it is unfinished, so maybe it will get bettere if it can survive the vapourware curse. The system is there, now it just need tons of content to justify it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom