Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chi casting doesn't suck. You just pick killing hands and not spread your points across hand to hand, evade and strength, just pump it all into strength.

Sodafish

Arcane
Is melee viable? Sure, but it's never going to be as effective or flexible as a ranged character with the increased AP use, vulnerablility to overwatch etc, and the general suckiness of melee weapons in the game (the higher tier ones are barely different to the lower types). Still, the game is very easy so if you wanted more of a challenge you could go with melee.

In terms of gun combat, rifles are pretty overpowered - a well aimed full auto burst will take down almost anything for 2 AP. Pistols are also pretty cool (0 AP reload skill is sweet). Shotguns were good until the devs nerfed them with a patch, so I would avoid them now.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Melee is fine, especially if the character is built to take damage. Won't be as lethal as a well designed gunner but has other benefits.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Melee is fine, especially if the character is built to take damage. Won't be as lethal as a well designed gunner but has other benefits.

What benefits?
Cleaving, more consistent damage and hit chance, eating AP on crits with katanas. Plus with high strength you can also be good with grenades and those that eat AP are p. overpowered.

fastjack

Augur

What benefits?
Cleaving, more consistent damage and hit chance, eating AP on crits with katanas. Plus with high strength you can also be good with grenades and those that eat AP are p. overpowered.

I may be wrong, but it feels like the katana eats ap on anything that isn't a weak blow, is it really only on criticals? (melee adept still worse at combat than my smg decker with only secondary combat abilities though)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The description says it's on crit so I dunno. I don't remember it doing -1 AP on every regular hit.

As for adepts I think it's slightly less sucky than DMS, because there seems to be more essence-conscious bioware stuff you can get

Morkar Left

The consistent damage doesn't really count comparing to the damage values firearms do. Crowed-control enemies by AP-draining is a good one on the other side and bleeding isn't bad by prevent restoring health through magic spells.

Morkar Left

Depends how much you pump up them. My human decker who hasn't maxed out pistols can take out most enemies in one turn (3 AP) with a pistol and rapid fire options. Glory is even better with her pistol most of the time than with her claws. Only magically buffed she becomes really useful in melee despite having an adrenaline injector. I use her mostly for taking out mages with low hp.

But I guess a katana is the best melee weapon anyway.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Ah, companions. They are p. bad. I think if I just went with Dietrich to buff me with Haste I wouldn't even feel the difference.

And of course somebody who's going to split points is better off with guns. Melee damage scales more from strength than the weapons you use.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The good thing about glory is the bleed effect, since it keeps the somewhat abundant mages from healing up the targets you're pummeling. I believe they changed the adrenal injector in one of the recent patches to not require 1AP to activate, which makes it better. All in all though, the nice thing about glory is that she does okayish damage, but takes punches like a champ. Magic her up, pop the adrenal gland and she'll happily soak shots from your squishies. And if she begins to hurt, she packs all the medkits.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I always found bleed p. useless, enemies generally die in 1-2 turns anyway. I ditched her as soon as I got blitz, playing on very hard I never missed her medkits nor her fat face standing in the way of my cleaves.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Glory is good because of built-in Haste and healing. She's straight up necessary on some runs if you're also playing a melee character. Not only does she heal you which is pretty much a necessity on such a character, she also tanks with you since she's in melee as well.

adepts are probably not that cool.

Finished the game with an adept on Very Hard without difficulty. Play smart, use Glory, win easy.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well the game is so easy it doesn't really matter what you play anyway. But adepts are certainly at the bottom.

I haven't tested myself but best build in the game is probably rigging, can't you eventually get 3 drones with 3 AP each?

AMG

Arbiter
The constant AP damage either comes from 8 melee combat or the best katana, since I started doing AP damage every hit after getting it. It actually makes the last mission a cakewalk (well a bigger cakewalk than rest of the game) since you can permastun everything dangerous. Before that melee weapons are strictly worse than rifles, or any gun really. But yeah it is so easy it doesn't matter anyway.

Sodafish

Arcane
How much damage did you do with rifles?

Towards the end of the dragonfall campaign my rifle samurai was doing 20 base damage with sniper rifle shot and 17 per assault rifle shot... so even an average full auto burst was doing over 50 damage. Getting 4-5 hits in a burst wasn't that rare either.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've just finished the APEX run, and although I'm really enjoying the game, I have to say the last fight of the run was dissapointing.

Not that this game is difficult by any means, but when you face 2 hordes that sorround you, I expected a bit of a challenge. I mean, I didn't even have to hack any of the turrets! Glory and Dietrich took care of the left, and my MC and Eiger of the right, and only Eiger was hit twice in the entire fight...

Grim Monk

Arcane
16859.jpg

Your not :( the real Sgt.Meltdown...

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom