Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Just finished Dragonfall. I might need to play through it again, but I'm willing to put this bad boy in my top 3 RPGs (fuck maybe even top 3 games) of the last 10 years.

Gord

Arcane
Might be a bit too soon, but I sure hope they will come...

DeepOcean

Arcane
Something's gotta keep this game alive and interesting, man!
Is there a nexus website yet?
There is but, right now, things are slow, the people that are making mods or are still making them or they became vapourware. The biggest project that still has somewhat frequent updates is the SNES shadowrun remake. Most mods made so far, are really amateurish and not in the "rough around the edges amateurish" but really shitty amateurish.

Phinx

Augur
Something's gotta keep this game alive and interesting, man!
Is there a nexus website yet?
There is but, right now, things are slow, the people that are making mods or are still making them or they became vapourware. The biggest project that still has somewhat frequent updates is the SNES shadowrun remake. Most mods made so far, are really amateurish and not in the "rough around the edges amateurish" but really shitty amateurish.

Yeah totally agree man, the bar needs to be raised and modders need to work together.

Gord

Arcane
I've played a few ok-ish mods pre-Dragonfall, but most of them seem to be rather short.
Not many big, ambitious projects as far as I can tell.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played through first mission, pretty easily. Character performs actions that I think are unwise as far as the plot goes. Get back to base, get lambasted for exactly the things I didn't want to do, only option my character has is to think it was exactly the right thing to do, can't even point out stupidity of lambaster. Not even one juicy dialogue option with some aggresive swearing. Uninstalled.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope you're joking.

On a related note: I must say that after Darth Roxor's review, I was expecting the whole "YOU MUST CARE ABOUT MONIKA" thing to be a lot more blatant than it actually was. I found the plot's treatment of Monika to be pretty reasonable. Sure, the people in town talked about how great she was after she fucking died horribly but one or two missions after that most of the Monika references stopped. The only character in the game who mentioned her consistently after that was Simmy and she was a mentally damaged addict who saw her as a mother figure. Even your companions in their "therapy sessions" didn't really talk about Monika or how they met her, which was actually pretty surprising.

Gord

Arcane
I didn't find it that bad either.
Of course, it's one of those plot devices that are based on a certain assumption (in this case that the player's char knew Monika from his past and therefore cared about her), but while it might not be the best writing to create emotional engagement (tm), it still works well enough with a minimum amount of suspension of disbelief by the player.
You either accept that or you don't.

At one point they botched the Monika references a bit, though: Pretty late in the game Blitz made a comment about her death which didn't fit since you only met him after she had already died.

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Going to fire this up and give Dragonfall a go. I guess this should teach future projects that relying on community created content is not a good long term solution.

As for HBS, despite the creator of Shadowrun running HBS, I don't think they're a particularly strong studio.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/games/234650/announcements/detail/1406554987256355357
Shadowrun Returns Price Reduced to $14.99
10 APRIL - HAREBRAINED SCHEMES
Have friends who would love Shadowrun Returns but haven’t played it yet? At $14.99, now is the time for them to try it out, too!

Hardcore Gamer gave Shadowrun Returns a 4.5 out of 5 and said "This is one of the most satisfying and complete tactical roleplaying experiences to come out of 2013 and realistically the last few years."

Shadowrun Returns now includes the ability to save your game at any time. In addition to the original "Dead Man's Switch" campaign, Shadowrun Returns also includes access to the Shadowrun Returns Editor and Steam Workshop community. There are hundreds of hours of great mods in the workshop including a fan-made SNES Reboot, remakes of beloved Shadowrun stories, and, of course, many original works.

Buy Shadowrun Returns here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/234650

The Deluxe Edition, which includes the soundtrack and the Shadowrun Returns Short Story Anthology, has also been reduced to $24.99! You can pick up the Deluxe Edition of the game at the link listed above.

Looks like they're getting a clue. Now they just need to make Dragonfall standalone.

Gord

Arcane
Or a Gold edition featuring both campaigns for ~25 bucks or such...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beat this the other day. It's a big improvement over Dead Man's Switch when it comes to companions and combat encounters. Built a very combat focused character, so I very rarely went the diplomatic route. I had three shotguns equipped, which meant rarely running out of ammo. In the last few missions, I switched one shotgun for one of those tazer guns to reduce enemy AP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom