Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut

Rake

Arcane
:d1p:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Fuck yeah! I was worried they'd abandon shadowrun after the botched dragonfall release, glad to see another expansion.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
Seriously how can anyone be pumped for another mediocre expansion to mediocre game. They had one of the most interesting licences and they did absolutely nothing with it, even that genesis game was better...

dryan

Arcane
Seriously how can anyone be pumped for another mediocre expansion to mediocre game. They had one of the most interesting licences and they did absolutely nothing with it, even that genesis game was better...
Eat shit and die.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
AAA titles can't be shovelware by definition.

Also DMS had AAA values only without the big budget that goes with them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wat

Define "AAA values".
As Jeff Vogel says, make your game easy then make it easier.

Combine this with linearity, a quest arrow, cosmetic/narrative C&C for the most part, and a combat system directly inspired by the AAA XCOM among other things I can't remember at the moment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:nocountryforshitposters: Sheesh, relax people. It's like you've never seen anybody be edgy on the Codex before.

Vibalist

Arcane
Shadowrun was a good little mini module that didn't excel at anything but managed to be enjoyable nonetheless. It had decent atmosphere, decent combat and good writing (for the most part). It was never going to be the next Fallout, so "enjoying it for what it is" is an entirely sensible approach to it.

I wouldn't mind if a game like this came along twice a year. You pay a relatively cheep price for it, play it for ten hours, enjoy it and then discard it. Good enough I say. Especially when we're hopefully getting some really good kickstarter RPG's soon.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The main problem with Shadowrun is that this is a mediocre game with some potential. That's why people are so pissed off about it: SRR could be a great game, but it isn't and will never be.

Eyeball

Arcane
Shadowrun was a good little mini module that didn't excel at anything but managed to be enjoyable nonetheless. It had decent atmosphere, decent combat and good writing (for the most part). It was never going to be the next Fallout, so "enjoying it for what it is" is an entirely sensible approach to it.

I wouldn't mind if a game like this came along twice a year. You pay a relatively cheep price for it, play it for ten hours, enjoy it and then discard it. Good enough I say. Especially when we're hopefully getting some really good kickstarter RPG's soon.
Whoah, careful there sport, you almost admitted to liking a game!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The main problem with Shadowrun is that this is a mediocre game with some potential. That's why people are so pissed off about it: SRR could be a great game, but it isn't and will never be.

Pissed off? I don't think the Codex was ever that pissed off at Shadowrun Returns, and certainly not now. I don't remember there being hundreds of pages of rage ala Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity. It didn't get as much attention compared to the other Kickstarter RPGs, and therefore, not as high expectations.

I don't think it ever had "potential", either, if by "potential" you mean potential to be a Vault Dweller-defined "full scale RPG". HBS was never in the position to afford that.

Loriac

Arcane
HBS was never in the position to afford that.

I think this is the crux of the issue. HBS was/is a mobile developer which churns out simplistic shit. Their cost base is ridiculously high compared to the quality of the games that they produce. If you look at any of the pictures on the web showing their team, you come away with the distinct impression that its virtually all deadwood. They originally asked for $400k, and instead got funded to the tune of $1.8m. With what must have seemed like a mini-windfall at the time, they took the incredibly foolish decision to add 25 people to their existing team of 10 (which you could argue was already bloated). Of the 35 in the team, probably 30+ were deadwood. This was idiocy, and Weisman even alludes to the fact that he knows it was a mistake when he did it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/197132/QA_Learning_from_Shadowrun_Returns_Kickstarter_success.php

Instead of developing it properly, or farming it out to a development team that could do so, they wasted huge amounts of budget on making the game look pretty. Everything about the original game screams missed opportunity, from the on-rails storyline, to the underdevelopment of aspects such as the matrix, to the lack of decent inventory management, and of course the lack of ability to save games (which meant that module designers were hamstrung in the type of modules they could make). It was still a fun game to play, but it could have, and should have, been so much more.

I haven't tried Dragonfall yet (once bitten twice shy etc) but its good that they reportedly corrected some of the glaring mistakes from the original campaign.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I haven't tried Dragonfall yet (once bitten twice shy etc) but its good that they reportedly corrected some of the glaring mistakes from the original campaign.

My response was to the people who think Dragonfall sucks too, because it's still limited and not a "full-scale RPG", etc.

We can envision a continuum of "full scale-ness", with Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall on one end, Divinity: Original Sin on the other end, and Black Isle-style games like Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity somewhere in the middle. I don't think Shadowrun Returns ever had a chance of being much further up that scale than where it ended up.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Here's my opinion on Shadowrun Returns: Do I love the games? No. But I enjoy them. I enjoy them for the environment, limited roleplaying, atmosphere, and for the most part the quality of writing, which is decent enough to hold my interest. Is it a great RPG? Fuck no, not even close enough. But is it a game that I find entertaining despite it's faults? Yes. Not many can do that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom