Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

V_K

Arcane
Yeah, I guess it makes sense, I didn't think about that because they never attacked each other, only my team. You were also in a very disadvantaged position, literally being in the center of a mass shoot-out, you don't have possibilities to sneakily pick off targets, it's an all-out deathmatch.
There are some nooks and craniies you can hide in during your first turn, and then the mobs proceed fighting each other with you just picking out reinforcements.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm thinking of doing a street sam (a troll with the heaviest weapons possible) run through the "trilogy" in the future, so I'll be able to contrast it then.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Not sure that's a fair comparison since melee is a weak build with limited tactical options. By Drones not being as OP as it appears in theory, I mean compared to say a pure Assault Rifle sniper, mage, or Dragonfall/ HK Adept.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I meant heaviest ranged weapons. Unless street samurai is only ever melee? Troll might not be a good choice now that I think about it, I thought strength affects ranged weapons, too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I meant heaviest ranged weapons. Unless street samurai is only ever melee? Troll might not be a good choice now that I think about it, I thought strength affects ranged weapons, too.
There are strength requirements on the minigun I think, but it's not like you need really high strength. Elves are the powergaming street samurai race.

Infinitum

Scholar
Melee is viable, especially for locking down single targets with -AP attacks. Physical adepts also have the advantage of requiring very little Essence to function properly (3-4 slots are plenty for the passive buffs, and the buffs themsleves typically outlasts regular encounters so the cooldown malus is moot). Swords require slightly less investment in Chi and better -AP options early on, unarmed is probably better in the long run due to hgher damage and the shock hand implant/gloves. Remember to not end turn in the open until you get the light cover buff or you will be criticaled to death more often than not.

Ranged builds are still better as they get comparable DPS whilst staying safe in cover. Grenadetoss Arm/Reload arm and just grenade launcher/rapid fire everything to death beats everything the game can toss at you and more.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Might go for physical adept, then. Is it any good or is all melee gimped?
Melee attacks hit like a fucking truck on this game, they are only "underpowered" in the sense that you don't have to waste AP reaching the enemies with ranged weapons, melee weapons shine on three aspects, with the right build, every single attack from you will cause massive AP damage, you have three different attacks that can hit multiple enemies in front of you and critically hit every single one of them so if enemies are bunched together, you can slaughter them all if you are careful to not be too exposed but melee truly shine because if you successfully hit a target hidden behind cover with a melee attack, they will be thrown out of cover and be exposed so someone else with a shotgun or sniper rifle can finish them up with massive damage on criticals.

Adept powers are kinda weak, not that they are useless, it is that they require alot of investment for not enough return, ki strike is the only one really powerful as it always critical and do AP damage but it is only powerful on the beginning of the game while you don't have enough points on melee or unarmed to score criticals consistently, just go with cyber, buy legs for the movement bonus and take spurs or mofilament, buy a shock glove on the whampoa mission, of adept powers, only take killing hands for 2 karma points then invest on unarmed and melee to get the special attacks and improve a little the odds for critical hits. You won't be as powerful as a sniper rifle, minigun, grenade launcher walking terminator but it is pretty fun.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Melee are really strong. With enough buffs you can get like 6 AP, use 1 to get across half the map (there is Adept skill that increase movement speed), then use 3 AP to do 5 hit 2.0x crit to the enemy and still have AP to spare to go to cover if needed.

Lhynn

Arcane
Melee are really strong. With enough buffs you can get like 6 AP, use 1 to get across half the map (there is Adept skill that increase movement speed), then use 3 AP to do 5 hit 2.0x crit to the enemy and still have AP to spare to go to cover if needed.
You dont actually need cover, you are always in cover.

the_shadow

Arcane
Might go for physical adept, then. Is it any good or is all melee gimped?

Pretty much any character 'type' is powerful once they have been fully developed. The only way to ruin your character is to spread karma points too thin.

almondblight

Arcane
I loved the end fight of the Extraction mission, I chose to fight the two megacorp forces together and it was pretty intense.

That battle has the same problem as many of the HK battles - they try to increase the difficulty just by throwing hordes of enemies at you. It gets really tedious with the SRR engine when you're waiting for 20 enemies to take their turn. Even when they have nothing to do, they waste 5 seconds running in and out of cover. The earlier games did a better job of making battles difficult by giving you more difficult enemies and situations. The basilisk fight in the med facility, the ghouls in the sewer, the boss fight in the psych ward - these were more difficult than the hordes of trash mobs HK throws at you, and you were fighting far fewer enemies. The Apex fight (though it has a number of enemies) is a good example of how they tried to use the situation to make a battle more difficult. You're trying to balance the enemies on both sides. The enemies aren't particularly strong, but they have AP draining attacks that can be lethal if they start stunlocking someone who's by themselves. You can hack the turrets to help out with the enemies, but that takes time and leaves you vulnerable.

In the Extraction mission, they throw a ton of enemies at you which makes the battle tedious, and then immediately undo any increased difficulty that would bring by giving you an easily defensible position in the south which makes the battle easy (especially if you have a mage - just stand on the dragonline and mass mind control your enemies).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hear nightmare harvest's a good'un. Any module out there that's more noir than shadowrunny?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
There's so few UGCs at all. I'm playing the updated Antumbra Saga on DF/DC now - the author put all 3 modules together as one and updated it to take advantage of Director's Cut features - and so far it's been decent. It's the same guy who made Caldecott Caper for HK so I'm expecting it to advance to good stuff soon. But Caldecott Caper and the updated DMS are pretty much the only UGCs available on HK and DF-DFDC don't have much more. Returns has the most, but several of them are really buggy or limited. The one that continues the "story" after DMS ends is totally retarded.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Finally finished HK. Overall, I liked it. Yeah, it's not great, but it's playable, it's somewhat campy and it's fun. Much more than you can say about some recent releases. It's a good baby's first cyberpunk RPG and it deserves a playthrough. I can go into the nitty-gritty, but I think I already said all that I could while going through it and I can't add anything else that hasn't already been said. On to Dragonfall!

Lhynn

Arcane
Ive played HK and dragonfall 3 times each.

They have little replayability but i was really hungry for that shadowrun feel at the time. And theres nothing quite like it sadly. Hopefully after they are done with battletech they come back to these games, i get the feeling harebrained will be very successful in the next decade if they play their cards right.

baturinsky

Arcane
I played as melee with both Ki and implants. Namely, +1AP for two turns implant and claws implant; and from Ki melee damage buff (both passive and activated) and light-cover-always. And yeah, it's pretty powerful. Especially with several fist weapons equippped with separate cooldown sets (and a claw abilities).

Though, implants were not that essential - +AP only gave total of two in entire fight at a big Karma price. But if I'd not be that afraid of dipping below 6 Essense maybe I could take some more useful stuff. Like grenade-returner.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The same guy who did the Antumbra Saga (DF:DC) and the Caldecott Caper (HK) just released his new UGC: CalFree in Chains - https://www.nexusmods.com/shadowrunhongkong/mods/23

At least the beginning is very promising. It helps if you've played the two other campaigns already but that's mainly for in-game lore reasons, as there are references to events and characters from them. But it's a new campaign for a new character.

zool

Arcane
But Caldecott Caper and the updated DMS are pretty much the only UGCs available on HK and DF-DFDC don't have much more.

The updated DMS you're talking about refers to the Vox Populi mod, right? Is it good?

The description makes it sounds like it could make the base DMS campaign much more more interesting...

This adaptation contains a persistant crew, reworked Matrix, loyalty-based side runs for your crew, and some story tweaks to the orignal campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom