Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

orcinator

Liturgist
Magnet Arm is still as shit as ever. Why would I use an expensive, consumable grenade if the enemy has a 100% chance of hoovering up that grenade from a huge distance and at no cost and can then just wing it back at me? And because there's no way to identify if an enemy has the magnet arm - and the cost to you if they do is so high - you may as well just not use grenades at all.

Grenadiers have magnet arms

that's the gist of it

I mean, I think the magnet's a bad addition but that's because it makes the enemies waste even more AP (and take some damage in the process) in an already easy game.

Prime Junta

Well.... the same could be said with the AI. They have no way to know if you have magnetic arm.
Isn't it safe to assume that some corporate/security big guns would sort of trick up to their sleeve? And really, I have yet to play the 5 hours epilogue but I can't remember meeting anybody with magnetic arm expect once or twice the whole game that result in me considering not use granade at all. And granade is still good for taking mages, snipers, etc.

Lots of 'em have magnetic arm in the expansion. To the point that yes, it does make grenades near-pointless.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Magnet Arm is still as shit as ever. Why would I use an expensive, consumable grenade if the enemy has a 100% chance of hoovering up that grenade from a huge distance and at no cost and can then just wing it back at me? And because there's no way to identify if an enemy has the magnet arm - and the cost to you if they do is so high - you may as well just not use grenades at all.

that's the gist of it

I mean, I think the magnet's a bad addition but that's because it makes the enemies waste even more AP (and take some damage in the process) in an already easy game.
Nope, I first tought only granadiers had it but I stunned one and as I launched a grenade, another dude thrown the grenade back.

Septaryeth

Augur

that's the gist of it

Nope, I first tought only granadiers had it but I stunned one and as I launched a grenade, another dude thrown the grenade back.

I believe the enemy variants such as Gunner, Captain and Grenadier have them.
You can still use grenades on Sniper, Rigger, Drone, Mage, Conjurer, Adept and Assassin.

Also Gobbet's special item is also considered a grenade, though even if they throw it back, it seems the panicked status has no real effect on your characters. :roll:

Gruncheon

Savant
Well.... the same could be said with the AI. They have no way to know if you have magnetic arm.
Isn't it safe to assume that some corporate/security big guns would sort of trick up to their sleeve? And really, I have yet to play the 5 hours epilogue but I can't remember meeting anybody with magnetic arm expect once or twice the whole game that result in me considering not use granade at all. And granade is still good for taking mages, snipers, etc.

It's always going to be bad game design where you're literally flipping a coin on whether or not your attack is going to work well or blow up in your face completely, particularly where you have no problem like that with normal attacks that don't cost an expensive consumable at the same time. I really like this Shadowrun trilogy, but being real the best strategy in combat is to pump ranged weapons and burst fire the assault rifle all the time. There's just thousands of mini-choices in design that don't make sense to me. The magnet arm thing is one, the fact that Shamans have to buy really expensive tokens before every mission to be effective, that Charisma is really important for etiquettes but completely worthless to most builds.

Just finished the epilogue, pretty disappointed to be honest. The game built to a kind of wet fart of a climax that I didn't care about, gave me a choice that largely didn't make sense and left me to decide the fate of a character who's main defining trait is that they have headaches and then it was just kind of over. It's a shame, because there's a lot of scope to play around and do strange stuff in a tiny expansion like this, but instead it was almost exclusively bland missions filled with combat. Sort of assume it was a project to train up some junior team members or something.

Deleted member 7219

So glad to see the bonus campaign is finally out. Shadowrun: Hong Kong was my third favourite RPG of last year and the best of the series so far. I've played the new campaign for a few hours so far and I just got totally thrashed in one of the side missions. Combat seems to be tougher, which is pretty cool.

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, they listened to the feedback. More mandatory combat encounters, still nothing too difficult though.

Good fun and value for a free expansion.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm using that AI mod to enable two attacks per round and it works well. The combat is harder with it, and the enemies still take cover when they need to. It's nice eating a grenade followed by a burst attack. I'm actually using medkits!

edit: here's the AI mod for anyone else who's interested. Just follow the install instructions.

Download here

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
Ok, so I wanted to finish my recent SR:HK playthrough to jump into the mini campaign, this time by saving Raymond.

The fucking boss-fight scene doesn't offer me the possibility, though:
I helped Isobel and heard the story about the boy that made a deal with the Yama Kings
I heard the story from Duncan about this fight between him and Raymond
I got the mails from Crafty (and read them of course)

Yet, when I refuse the deal and make a counter-offer, I can't choose anything that will "solve" the issue.
What am I doing wrong?
Is there a way to modify a save in order to receive the missing option?

I'm really butthurt about this...

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Ok, so I wanted to finish my recent SR:HK playthrough to jump into the mini campaign, this time by saving Raymond.

The fucking boss-fight scene doesn't offer me the possibility, though:
I helped Isobel and heard the story about the boy that made a deal with the Yama Kings
I heard the story from Duncan about this fight between him and Raymond
I got the mails from Crafty (and read them of course)

Yet, when I refuse the deal and male a counter-offer, I can't choose anything that will "solve" the issue.
What am I doing wrong?
Is there a way to modify a save in order to receive the missing option?

I'm really butthurt about this...
I got the option of the counter proposal, did you sleep all the times and keep going in the dreams until reaching the last dream where you openned the Prosperity vault and was chased by other Yama Kings, tried to flee but the Queen interrupted you and forced something on your throat?

Gord

Arcane
I got the option of the counter proposal, did you sleep all the times and keep going in the dreams until reaching the last dream where you openned the Prosperity vault and was chased by other Yama Kings, tried to flee but the Queen interrupted you and forced something on your throat?
I did sleep all the times, but I guess I might not have chosen the right options in the dreams then.
Fuck that, how convoluted can you possibly make that?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
But did you break up Ray's and Drunkan's argument after returning from Prospertower with the Words of Power from Drunkan's story?

Gord

Arcane
But did you break up Ray's and Drunkan's argument after returning from Prospertower with the Words of Power from Drunkan's story?

Now that I think about it, I can't remember any argument. At least none involving the possibility to use the Words of Power. Mostly a bit of scowling on Duncans part. Strange.
When exactly does that happen again? During the subway ride?

Edit: Ah, I know now, it's right before entering the Walled City. I had indeed not talked to Raymond then, despite him having a speech bubble over his head. Let's try again.

Edit 2: Yes, that was the missing element. It's required to know about how other Yama Kings can come through the tunnel if you open it further.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
DIS SHOOTOUT AT THE END OF THE FUCHI EXTRACTION IS THE BEST THING TO HAVE EVER HAPPENED IN THIS GAME

HOLY SHIT

THIS IS HOW THIS GAME SHOULDA LOOKED LIKE FROM THE VERY BEGINNING

THIS IS ALSO LIKE THAT THING DARTH ROXOR WAS TALKING ABOUT

@_________________________________@

V_K

Arcane
DIS SHOOTOUT AT THE END OF THE FUCHI EXTRACTION IS THE BEST THING TO HAVE EVER HAPPENED IN THIS GAME

HOLY SHIT

It's actually pretty easy - just hide in the alley and let them shoot each other.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's actually pretty easy - just hide in the alley and let them shoot each other.

I disagree due to one factor - the additional 12 dudes that arrive in the next 2 turns from the sides are completely non-telegraphed. Because of that, you're p. likely (I know it was true for me) to be stuck there in the middle, thinking "lul I can just split, summon some spirits and take on these two groups of fags", when suddenly, surprise! There's buttrape coming from all sides!

So in that sense, yes, the fight is easy to just exploit and sit through by simply rushing past the fountain to the south. But it's pretty much only true if you already know about the incoming reinforcements, i.e. you've reloaded the gaem. Otherwise, it's really tough. ESPECIALLY since I also didn't expect those fucks to carry around RPGs that do 60+ (!) damage to a character that is flanked/out of cover. This was the first time in ALL THE SHADOWRUN GAMES PUT TOGETHER that I actually had to use a heal spell off-cooldown. Really krazy. Really good. It's how the fucking series should have looked like from the beginning.

DeepOcean

Arcane

HOLY SHIT

Yep, they could make it even better by summoning more reinforcements from Fuchi to the south of the fountain to get your ass when you tought you were safe and make you NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! a bit before the fighting ending but it is a much better fight than the usual Mass stun + mass rape that you do usually as the enemies throw your grenades back at you and alot of them use that stun immunity cyber.

agris

Arcane
Patron

HOLY SHIT

Yep, better even than the elf genetic material mission in base HK when you can yell both teams to fuck off.

The question is: can you beat it when those gunners can shoot twice in one round?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom