Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition

baturinsky

Arcane
HK party seems to be way more evil than DF one. In DF you mostly kill assholes, like nazis and blood mages. In HK you just kill people for money. Or just because Is0bel did not want to just ask what she wanted nicely.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
3 point on Drone gets me Drugmule Drone.
Drug mule comes with AP, STR, Body chems. Pretty nice to just use it on the mission's hard encounters since the drugs restock after every mission.
Taking the 4th point on a Drone brings in AutoDoc that gives 2 free advanced medkit healing per mission.
Was running around with 5 AP as Troll Rigger punching people with shock gloves and cyber shock-arm.
Now I wonder if it's worthwhile to dip more points on Qi Casting for those nice unarmed bonuses or switch to more serious end game melee weapons.

baturinsky

Arcane
From my experience, unless you waste APs on direct control of drone, it stays in open and is flanked to death pretty fast.

I'm playing Qi/Cyberware melee too Do you know if shock-arm stacks with knuckles or gloves?

RK47

Patron
From my experience, unless you waste APs on direct control of drone, it stays in open and is flanked to death pretty fast.

I'm playing Qi/Cyberware melee too Do you know if shock-arm stacks with knuckles or gloves?
they're two separate cooldowns.

almondblight

Arcane
HK party seems to be way more evil than DF one. In DF you mostly kill assholes, like nazis and blood mages. In HK you just kill people for money. Or just because Is0bel did not want to just ask what she wanted nicely.

Yeah, Is0bel and Gobbet are both sociopaths. Is0bel kills someone because they once shut down a section of the matrix to help their team escape. And she kills hordes of innocent security guards just because she doesn't want to ask a former friend for help. She wants to kidnap and torture said former friend instead - because she's upset that he seemed to try to help her too much before.

Gobbet tells you the story where her team needed to make a quick escape from an apartment building. While the rest of the team were arguing, she left and blew up the apartment building, killing her team and countless innocents inside. In Dragonfall you're supposed to feel bad when a group tricks you into planting a bomb in an apartment building, but Gobbet just blows them up on a whim.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Most likely intentional. I doubt HBS wanted to tell the same kind of story as they did in Dragonfall.

Not limited to companions, either. The entire neighborhood is a lot meaner than the enclave in the Berlin flux state.

Would have helped if they did more legwork on sell the new tone.

RK47

Patron

Found an exploit.
If you have both shock arm cyberware and shock glove weapon - you're in for a treat. Every unarmed skill you gain like Claw/Kick got 2 separate cooldowns.

iZCq9ps.jpg

mQKSAvD.jpg

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Finally got to finish Dragonfall. And I'd say, overall I liked Hong Kong better. Mostly for pacing. HK is cut into bits that just long enough to not outstay it's welcome. DF is full of long missions with lots of filler combat. Especially the final mission.

Another thing I noticed in comparison, is while in DF you play more "good" party than in HK, it is kinda inverted in ending. In HK your do an obviously very good thing. In DF you have to just guess which quasi-demigod you should trust without having anywhere near enough information.

circ

Arcane
The extended combat is a good thing. Doesn't make sense that hitting location so and so nets you no reinforcements or anything.

There's plenty of information that both APEX and Firewing are evil. Sadistic sociopath with a zombie slave army who also killed your friend and a mass-murdering emo dragon. Lofwyr can play the horrors card all he wants, but you mess with humanity you get sliced. I'm just saddened you didn't get to kill him too, and Aljernon.

RK47

Patron
I lost appetite with all the decking part of the game halfway through.
It wasn't fun. Just tedious.

the_shadow

Arcane
There's plenty of information that both APEX and Firewing are evil. Sadistic sociopath with a zombie slave army who also killed your friend

To be fair, APEX's programming prevented it from exercising its free will at that point, so those actions aren't necessarily reflective of what it desires. What APEX will do after you release those constraints is a bit of a mystery, although the ending suggests that it aims to accumulate power and protect the Flux State. And while APEX doesn't exactly strike me as benevolent (it goes postal on you if you refuse to help it enslave Firewing), having another powerful entity to act as a check and balance against the dragons is of some benefit.

and a mass-murdering emo dragon.

Mass-murder is unquestionably an evil act, no matter which way you slice it. It doesn't help her case that Firewing skipped diplomacy and went straight to incineration. On the flip side, she has suffered horrendous torture as a direct result of her actions, does seem remorseful, but more importantly, is a safeguard against the horrors. Should you free a somewhat contrite and tragic super-villain on the off chance they may some day help prevent an even greater threat?

baturinsky

Arcane
In Shadworun anybody in power is some grade of evil. And you would not survive for long without having one of them on your side. ESPECIALLY if you have really pissed someone other of them.

Which is why in HK you had no choice but to suck up to Kindly Cheng.

In DF, after Alice report and Bazaar hit you know you are WAY over your head. So, getting an AI or a dragon on your side would raise your survival chance considerably. Higher than just barely above zero you had before, that is. And they are not absolute evil, so a fair play.

Absolute evil is something that is genocidal, or inherently sadistic, or something that would cause some kind apocalypse. Super-AI can be the latter, but I guess emergence of thing like this is inevitable anyway. So, you can just as well try to get on good side of it given the chance.

circ

Arcane
Well, I'm insane and have selective authority problems. If someone is ruining someone else's day, I'm going to gun down that someone and possibly get gunned down myself. You gotta have integrity and let bullets be your only compromise.

RK47

Patron
You must have a save game from a finished campaign to start the extended one.

almondblight

Arcane
Hows it compare to Dragonfall & the bog standard HK campaign?

A bit better than HK, not as good as DF. You get a better plot, and a good puzzle here and there. Combat is still pretty weak though, the only real fun/interesting battle is the final one.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Is the Hong Kong bonus campaign worth reinstalling the game?
If you liked Hong Kong? Then yeah, I mean, it's much of the same.

But it's not going to make you love the game if you already didn't.

I wish they'd make a sequel already.
So I can pork Gobbet.

Vorark

Erudite
Another thing I noticed in comparison, is while in DF you play more "good" party than in HK, it is kinda inverted in ending. In HK your do an obviously very good thing. In DF you have to just guess which quasi-demigod you should trust without having anywhere near enough information.

From what I've read of the pnp books, it's par for the course. Gotta say though, the "bad ending" in DF was glorious.

The one in which you betray the party.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Is the Hong Kong bonus campaign worth reinstalling the game?
If you liked Hong Kong? Then yeah, I mean, it's much of the same.

But it's not going to make you love the game if you already didn't.

I wish they'd make a sequel already.
So I can pork Gobbet.

Though there is a bit more of a focus on combat, which actually poses some degree of challenge, making it a bit more reminiscent of Dragonfall to a degree. However, as ESh mentioned, the story isn't that meaningful and there isn't a huge amount in the way of CnC.

baturinsky

Arcane
iXEW9OM.jpg

Interesting. I ziptied his mistress by Duncan's ability without killing her, and it seems that game recognized it. Or Duncan is just a liar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom