Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
That they have some (graphical) theme associated to them and not just TRON grids.

Like the system would be wapanese themed, where the entire grid would look like a japanese palace, the ICs would be patrolling samurai, info nodes would be manuscripts with calligraphy, etc.

Darth, did you see this from HBS front page? (soz if it's already been mentioned)

As with DMS and DF, you’ll still break into a corporation’s secure local systems during a run to gain access to a variety of tactical objectives but there will also be places in the story where you’ll travel through distinct areas of cyberspace to “sculpted systems” – distinct digital representations of their owners.

Gord

Arcane
In a cyberpunk game you should absolutely have characters that are deadly because they have a UBARR00XXOR cannon, or a DOOMHAMMER XT MURDERKILL cyberarm or whatever.
They should be able to use it, of course, but it fits the setting.

But not if it's the ONLY one in the game and makes you a demi god compared to all others. SR should try to stay relatively fair and not make you into a demi god who walks into the room and blasts away the opposition in 2-4 rounds like it's the case with most cRPGs.

No, but that isn't what I was suggesting.
I was just saying that I don't see a problem with the idea of unique (or at least rare) and powerful equipment in SR. That doesn't mean that it should be restricted to players and certainly not that it should be thrown at them in the first hour. But maybe I missunderstood you a bit there as well.

Sykar

Arcane
In a cyberpunk game you should absolutely have characters that are deadly because they have a UBARR00XXOR cannon, or a DOOMHAMMER XT MURDERKILL cyberarm or whatever.
They should be able to use it, of course, but it fits the setting.

But not if it's the ONLY one in the game and makes you a demi god compared to all others. SR should try to stay relatively fair and not make you into a demi god who walks into the room and blasts away the opposition in 2-4 rounds like it's the case with most cRPGs.

No, but that isn't what I was suggesting.
I was just saying that I don't see a problem with the idea of unique (or at least rare) and powerful equipment in SR. That doesn't mean that it should be restricted to players and certainly not that it should be thrown at them in the first hour. But maybe I missunderstood you a bit there as well.

I would consider this only to be interesting if you have to defeat the person wielding that weapon in a grueling and really hard fight. In other words, you have to earn it the hard way.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think part of the problem with gear in the HBS games is that they've made the mechanics so simple there's no way to differentiate the gear except add +1. I mean, what is a silencer going to do for you in a game without stealth? What is the point of subtle cyberware or a knife if you don't need to conceal your weapons? And what else are you going to use the money for if you don't have contacts to sell you things like forged security badges or keycards? Or other contacts for that matter. One of my favourite things in the genesis game was the moment when you exchanged several missions worth of hard earned credits for the number to a new contact- the possibilities of what that person might do for you felt endless. There was a rigger who could smuggle you into restricted wilderness areas, deckers with their own custom illegal software, organized crime contacts, all sorts of shit.

Thats the kind of 'loot' I want in my game. I want about a dozen more characters like Alice.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What is the point of subtle cyberware or a knife if you don't need to conceal your weapons? And what else are you going to use the money for if you don't have contacts to sell you things like forged security badges or keycards? Or other contacts for that matter.
This stuff could be with their current systems in the game.

I think drugs got a lot more interesting in DF (I can't even remember if there were drugs in DMS now, I never used them if there were). So there is room for some more interesting buffs than what current equipment gives.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mitch: That request would make the game much easier to other people, for example. That guy could turn down the difficulty and take less damage instead.

Much obliged, Mitch. What a horrible thing, being terrible at games and demanding they dumb themselves down for you.

almondblight

Arcane
By the way, I remember at least two unique items in Dragonfall: the improved taser from you-know-who and adrenaline pump.

The tasers, slapdash pistol, and grenade launcher were good examples of how to diversify weapons without simply adding +3 damage or whatever.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Hopefully the RPG genre will eventually shed the concept of loot entirely, much like how PoE is doing with combat xp. They are both carrot-on-a-stick mechanics whole only purpose is to fool gamers into wasting time doing things they don't enjoy to pad play time.
They might be cheap for developers to code and implement, but their inherent entertainment value is vastly inferior to that of a single voice acted conversation or an extra music track.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Hopefully the RPG genre will eventually shed the concept of loot entirely, much like how PoE is doing with combat xp. They are both carrot-on-a-stick mechanics whole only purpose is to fool gamers into wasting time doing things they don't enjoy to pad play time.
That's ridiculous, why not remove inventory, equipment, combat, and just present the player with a dialogue wheel.

If it was Bioware saying this people here would be screaming bloody murder.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

imweasel

... Unique or very rare items as quest rewards would great.
they already did that in dfdc, with custom weaponry (e.g. eigers steyr aug csl) and unique cyberware like the adrenal contractor from the schockwellenreiter.
By the way, I remember at least two unique items in Dragonfall: the improved taser from you-know-who and adrenaline pump.
Yep, more of that please. Moar better itemization to build our team is gud.

That's ridiculous, why not remove inventory, equipment, combat, and just present the player with a dialogue wheel.
Bubbles isn't serious, he is being sarcastic. As always.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The tasers, slapdash pistol, and grenade launcher were good examples of how to diversify weapons without simply adding +3 damage or whatever.

Yeah, surprisingly pistols seemed to have the most diversity. On top of what you already mentioned, there were revolvers that offered greater raw damage at the cost of smaller capacity and inability to perform some special actions vs other pistols that did less damage but had larger clips and burst/automatic fire.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
"We want players to have to make moral judgement decisions"

"We don't want to say too much as we're still fairly early in production and don't want to go back on our word"

"The great thing about making SR games is that you always feel like you're making it for people who actually want it, instead of toiling in silence for 2 years"

"Kickstarters are a double-edged sword. You can call it pressure or scary, you're under a microscope but we enjoy that"

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
"This time around we're trying really hard to map the story entirely out beforehand so we don't have to return back to it later in the development and that everything we put into the story will actually make it into the game, so iteration is king. We ended up making way too much content for both DMS and DF that then ended up on the cutting room floor"

"This time we had been in pre-production for months before going to Kickstarter. Previously, we had very little ready before hand. So we've done much more pre-production and we have some scenes ready. We're getting better at making Shadowrun games"

"The way we're thinking about it now is that there is not Director's Cut on the horizon right now, because we're aiming closer to the 'pin'. We're focusing more on the mini-campaign, a high-level play experience"
I guess that means that content they might have to cut from the main game will later be implemented in the mini-campaign as it ships later.

"We didn't have time to implement all the endings to DF that we wanted and Glory's mission was also shortened"

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
"We have absolutely hit the limit on adding more in this campaign. There will not be any bloat, the entire team is fully committed on the plan that we have and we're executing it"

"If we go above and beyond the $1 million limit, we do have a plan and no we're not going to reveal it yet but if we go that far, we will not be adding anything further to the base game, it will be stuff added later"

"I would love nothing more than continue telling stories in this setting. How magic has returned to a cyberpunk world and how it affects people and societies. There's so much written about SR and there's so much that our writers can bounce-off of. It's not a straightjacket and I'd love to go from place to place and tell further stories"

"We don't really know what the future of HBS is. We are making 3 games simultaneously at the moment. If we're really going to do Shadowrun the way it deserves, then, I'm not sure how far this engine will take us, not as far as we'd like to go. So that'll take a little longer and little more money"

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
"The Russian rigger had a cameo-appearance (just one line) in DF:DC but all the other HK characters are entirely new"

"We wanted to start with a fresh crew because we wanted to show players a new location and the world would start to feel really really small if you have same characters popping up all the time. Though it would have been interesting to portray the culture shock of German runners relocating to Hong Kong from Berlin, I think it's better to start from a clean slate and introduce HK that way"

"In SR the Megacorporations are the big players, runners are disposable assets, it wouldn't fit the lore of having super powerful characters that globe-trot"

"We don't want to make SR too gloomy or depressed. It's a dystopia and there's awful stuff happening but people are still living their lives and having happy moments. We don't want to overload it with grimdarkness. It's true in the real world as well, people always complain about the world is ending tomorrow but if you take a step back, people are enjoying their lives even though horrible things are happening in Middle-East or Russia or Africa, so I want some of that reflected in SR, not just super dystopian cyberpunk, that I think is a flaw in some other settings"

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom