Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
They talked about the various team members quite a lot but it's all background, lore stuff.

"This is the first game we're the player character is not a runner already but coming from a different walk of life and we get to tell that fish-out-of-water story"

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They didn't really mention much about the characters that we didn't know. Duncan Wu is "Chinese-American" not a native Chinese, Is0Bel is was born in Hong Kong, but the child of Somali immigrants, the main character is pulled into shadowrunning, not a veteran like the previous games.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
They are answering fan questions now:

"No co-op, engine doesn't really support it, though it would be awesome"

"Our first art draft on HK was too touristy. We are changing it to make it more authentic"

"Game development is all about time management and prioritizing and re-prioritizing. That's a long way of saying, maybe, we'll increase itemization (to have more weapons/armour at each "tier) but it's a low priority so it might fall off if, say Matrix, needs more attention"

"We will be adding Foci to the game, including Weapon Foci for physical adepts"

"We have a mainline story that we're really happy with, that has some meat on its bones. We also had a bonus plan, in case we reach the Matrix goal, of things we could add to the story. Which we will now implement"

"Player should always have agency. Bad things can happen in a blink of an eye but if something is happening 3 feet away, then the player definitely should be able to do something about it. But this is limited by the number of people we have and how much time we have before we run out of money"

"New cyber skill is the biggest change to Street Sammy"

Mitch wants to make a BattleTech game at some point but they don't have the licence and it's in copyright limbo atm.

I don't have time to listen to the rest of it, so that's it for me. Maybe OSK can type out the rest of the answers?

Last edited:

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
"We have absolutely hit the limit on adding more in this campaign. There will not be any bloat, the entire team is fully committed on the plan that we have and we're executing it"

"If we go above and beyond the $1 million limit, we do have a plan and no we're not going to reveal it yet but if we go that far, we will not be adding anything further to the base game, it will be stuff added later"

I like how they're reasonable and candid about this. They might even make good on their estimated release date. Please HBS, keep releasing a new campaign every 6 months. :)

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Q: "Do you have any plans to include romances"

A: "No!"

:hero:

I agree with this sentiment.

The thing Is I DO want moar romances........

HOWEVER, romance in the 'classical' sense! Romance didn't always mean shoving your dick into the nearest agreeable hole.. it used to refer to the 'all' of it The 'aire' if you will.

Platonic 'bro' bonding (I don't even mind bro-bonding with a chick, I have a couple of bro-chicks.. and yes I do call them that, which they don't mind.. feminazi's fuck off), friendship, lasting close NON-SEXUAL relationships are as much 'romance' (and a bit more, tbh) as 'there's a hole, let's fill it. (whilst thinking about it with great respect.)"

The general Biodrone doesn't want 'romance'.. they just want pandered to with a place to stuff their digital dick, or someone to stuff his/her/it's/their dick/appendage//vegetable/pipe into him/her/it/them. SCREW THESE PEOPLE, only the deranged get their jollies from something like this.

Where are my friendships? Where are my battle stories? Where are the fond remembrances of past companions who have laid down their life for the cause?.. and no I DON'T want the option of them taking down my trousers as we reminisce about past glories.

Romance!.. These people don't have an ounce of romance in their soul.

Last edited:

imweasel

Mitch just said that the campaign will be about as long as Dragonfall.

No idea if he means the DC or not.

EDIT:

They are also adding more items, so better itemization is definitely in. :)

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Day 01: $267,945
Day 02: $134,007
Day 03: $65,359
Day 04: $34,093
Day 05: $23,049
Day 06: $18,734
Day 07: $18,344
Day 08: $18,841
Day 09: $17,517
Day 10: $27,145
Day 11: $26,747
Day 12: $20,514
Day 13: $13,981
Day 14: $19,099
Day 15: $13,743
Day 16: $22,569
Day 17: $14,935

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Apparently they added a five new missions in. Along with alternate endings, new music and team customization options. Few other things too.

Edit: Ninja'd.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Dang, I have to play it than, I only played vanilla.

Yes you do. They also reworked armor and cover system - you cant crit on someone in cover, must flank him; armor is a flat -dmg, no more incredible randomness of 0,5-1,5 dmg - it depends on being in cover, in open (which is a crit magnet) etc.

Simple changes, make wonders. And the new runs are a blast, even if they aren't that long. I especially recommend Trial run for the lodge, even if premise is ridiculous (no self-respecting runner would take it, but hey, I don't want to not see content!)

EDIT: for all of those who are behind some kind of retarded firewall that doesn't allow twitch - here's YT version of their talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW4q-Zg0VSc

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
One of the few interviews when I squeel like a girl hearing "C&C" instead of cringing. Also - devs drinking whisky during interview and people on twitch chat being normal instead of pasting ascii dicks
:incline:
1z7fvz.gif

Lord Andre

Arcane
Regarding itemization: I'd rather have them evolve the game towards Jagged Alliance, not Baldur's Gate.

I understand that variety is cool but the setting doesn't lend itself to enchantment derp. A gun is a gun. It shoots bullets. Some do it better than others. Stuff like tazers, grenade launchers, net throwers maybe ? are good but there's only so much of this stuff you can come up with before players start derping around with batman gadgets.

And no more armors with ridiculous stat bonuses please. Maybe some power armor at end game or a mage outfit that is a fetish itself but even that would be approaching derp.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
When SRR first came out I had a HUGE problem with the quality, it wasn't what was expected and respect for them took a dive, but considering the efforts Larian and Inxile (especially with their latest VERY worrying statement), HBS kicked their game into high gear and I think blew the socks clean off everyone with their sudden new found astounding quality.

HBS are the only one's, now, that I actually trust to deliver what they've said, and I would NEVER have thought that I would have held such an opinion at first launch.

HBS have really, really surprised me, they should get all the brofists.

Sykar

Arcane
Regarding itemization: I'd rather have them evolve the game towards Jagged Alliance, not Baldur's Gate.

I understand that variety is cool but the setting doesn't lend itself to enchantment derp. A gun is a gun. It shoots bullets. Some do it better than others. Stuff like tazers, grenade launchers, net throwers maybe ? are good but there's only so much of this stuff you can come up with before players start derping around with batman gadgets.

And no more armors with ridiculous stat bonuses please. Maybe some power armor at end game or a mage outfit that is a fetish itself but even that would be approaching derp.
:bro:

Starwars

Arcane
Watched the Q&A. Gotta say, HBS are total bros. Just seem like very nice dudes who know where their priorities lie. Will be fun to see what they cook up in HK.

One interesting question was about the tone, how DMS was a detective noir thing (at least to begin with). The writer said that it was really fun to explore a few different "subgenres" with Dragonfall, like Sci-Fi horror and other stuff. I really hope they continue with that as I think they did really well in DF. Glory's story for example. And while I thought the main story in itself is nothing amazing, the way they told it just *worked*. The mysterious feel behind it, watching old DVDs and uncovering information.

A lot of Shadowrun is extremely cheesy and I think DF walked pretty much exactly the right line of that cheese but also being quite thoughtful and "serious" at times. I mean... fucking dragons controlling corporations, yet they still manage to bring that type of thing across without it really feeling too silly. It's pretty great I think.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There's one thing that I really love about this whole new kickstarter age.

Imagine HBS being tied to a publisher and releasing their games as they were. Okay, DMS is out. People are lukewarm. HBS is maybe given a 2nd chance. They release Dragonfall. People are more content, but there's still grumbling, publisher decides it's not profitable enough and pulls the plug or gives the title to someone else or postpones it indefinitely.

Meanwhile in the real world, these dudes are very obviously getting continuously better at what they do, and the fans appreciate that enough to keep funding them. We are given the director's cut for free, and now they are making another campaign that could potentially be once again an improvement in all ways over the predecessor. This would have never happened under a publisher's boot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom