Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Alfons

Prophet
Maybe this was asked but why is this a separate game instead of an expansion for director's cut?

Gord

Arcane
Maybe this was asked but why is this a separate game instead of an expansion for director's cut?

I guess because they are also overhauling the engine (it's pc-only this time around, no tablet baggage) and expanding key gameplay elements.

Also Scrooge , wrong thread?

Alfons

Prophet
Hong Kong seems to be about as much of an expansion pack as New Vegas was for Fallout 3.
Wasn't Dragonfall the same way?
What I mean is that from the screenshots it looks like the same engine. It also looks like it had the same development time. Because of that I think that if the reason isn't this:
I guess because they are also overhauling the engine (it's pc-only this time around, no tablet baggage) and expanding key gameplay elements.
Then it's this:
Because expansion means expansion pricing

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Expansion also means limiting your audience to people who own the base game. And having your new game categorized as "DLC" in Steam's interface, with all the connotations that has.

HBS already got bitten in the ass with this with the original Dragonfall release.

Athelas

Arcane
Wouldn't it have made more marketing sense to name this Shadowrun 2: Hong Kong?

Or if you want to be awful, Shadowrun Returns 2 Hong Kong.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Possibly. But that might provoke a backlash; I think many gamers have been trained to accept "subtitle sequels" with a very similar look to the original games, but expect more of a visual overhaul with numbered sequels.

Tytus

Arcane

Missed Oportunity here.

The title in this case should be.

Shadowrun Returns To Hong Kong :P

Alfons

Prophet
It looks like they are targeting their existing audience anyway. When I google the title the first hit of an actual article about the game that comes up is an RPS piece from January. It's month and a half away from release and I can't find any game footage. So what exactly are they doing to draw new people in? Saying "Look at our previous installments. This one will be even better". I know it's a small studio with other projects in the burner, but this marketing strategy seems poor at best. I figure they can at least spare 20 minutes for two motherfuckers to play and shoot the shit on video.

The more logical conclusion seems like they're targeting their existing audience. They already gained loyalty by showing significant technical and mechanical improvement and giving good deals to their clients. Now they are cashing in on their loyalty. Obviously whether the price tag and the separate release are warranted will only be seen upon actual release.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Numbering Shadowrun wouldn't make any sense. It's not a sequel or continuation of story or different engine. Besides some minor tweaks, it's practically the same game, just set in a different place. Also, every Shadowrun costs like 15 jewro on release day- less than the expansions of much shittier games.

almondblight

Arcane
Hmm, description says 15+ hour campaign. The Dragonfall description says 20+ hours (though it took me quite a bit longer than 20 hours for Dragonfall).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom