Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns - Dead Man's Switch Original Campaign

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Replaying this right now. So you break into a warehouse, one of the early missions, lonestar guy asks how you knew they were there.

Option 1: I have my sources.

Option 2: I read some tea leaves. Magic is real ya know.

heh

Anyway, playing as a chi caster. I read online someone said he played through once, and thought you could better just toss all those skill trees away, since you have to spread your points over body, quickness, dodge, strength, melee, unarmed etc. And just pump everything into strength. That true? I could use some more knowledge on what works best in an unarmed build.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Replaying this right now. So you break into a warehouse, one of the early missions, lonestar guy asks how you knew they were there.

Option 1: I have my sources.

Option 2: I read some tea leaves. Magic is real ya know.

heh

Anyway, playing as a chi caster. I read online someone said he played through once, and thought you could better just toss all those skill trees away, since you have to spread your points over body, quickness, dodge, strength, melee, unarmed etc. And just pump everything into strength. That true? I could use some more knowledge on what works best in an unarmed build.
Strength is the only stat that improves your damage, if you want to be effective and actually pump decent damage this is the way to go. Body 8 and all the rest on strengh and close combat (don't waste time with unarmed or melee, they only rise your critical chance and they only start making a difference if you invest a lot of points on them, something that you don't have). The only chi skills that you really want are killing hands, chi strike and stride. Magical resistance is useless as mages aren't terribly deadly anyway and all the higher tier chi abilities don't offer enough benefit to be worthy of all those points wasted on will power.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
This is a weird game. Is it some sort of JRPG in westernized environment? Just started it and it sort of looks like an rpg, but it seems to be railroading through itself without much meaningful interaction. There is no loot, no inventory management or any tactics in combat except occasional running to some cover in the course of battle. I also can't figure where the autosave decides to save. Or does it only save at the beginning of the map and you have to redo all the tedium from scratch when die. Haven't died yet so don't know.
One thing i sort of like is the writing and atmosphere.

Comte

I believe it saves everytime you enter a new scene. So at the beginning of a map. There is some loot but its grenades, drugs, and medkits. You should be able to save anywhere if you have the current patch.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I believe it saves everytime you enter a new scene. So at the beginning of a map. There is some loot but its grenades, drugs, and medkits. You should be able to save anywhere if you have the current patch.
I have the patch version 2.0.1.4. No save option. Is there newer one?
Also a question to spoil me. I'm at this brothel/bar where i need to find out info on this Coyote chick. It seems that the map wont let me out of it until i find out the info. There's her computer that ieither have to ''deck'' or guess the password recovery sequence. Are these the only available options to progress the game? Pretty stupid design if so. I have enough karma to get my decking to 3 and brute force crack, but i didn't intend to develop my char that way. Trying to guess the right combo of key words is simply :retarded: way to solve the issue. WTF?

Comte

They are re-releasing Dragonfall as a standalone game first. It will be Dragonfall directors cut with more content that owners of the game will get for free. I am guessing they are working on one last campaign for Shadowrun Returns before working on a sequel.

Comte

I have the patch version 2.0.1.4. No save option. Is there newer one?
Also a question to spoil me. I'm at this brothel/bar where i need to find out info on this Coyote chick. It seems that the map wont let me out of it until i find out the info. There's her computer that ieither have to ''deck'' or guess the password recovery sequence. Are these the only available options to progress the game? Pretty stupid design if so. I have enough karma to get my decking to 3 and brute force crack, but i didn't intend to develop my char that way. Trying to guess the right combo of key words is simply :retarded: way to solve the issue. WTF?

The current patch is 1.2.7. Coyote's password can be found without using decking.

You need to examine the pictures in her room. One of the pictures will be the password.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Don't get what are the differences between different weapons. Are there some hidden stats you only get to understand while playing? Wtf is with everything having the same range? Damage varies very little too. Guess some of the unlockable modes of fire is the only thing that gives some personality.
Is there any sense investing points in more than one type? I'm currently using assault rifles only. Normally one would think of getting a side arm for reduced APs in closer distances or shotgun for mega damage, but here this with this everything is 2aps it apparently doesn't matter.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
What's DMS? And didn't someone say user made mods for this game is shit?
Anyhow, i'm continuing with this game.

Zetor

Arcane
Don't get what are the differences between different weapons. Are there some hidden stats you only get to understand while playing? Wtf is with everything having the same range? Damage varies very little too. Guess some of the unlockable modes of fire is the only thing that gives some personality.
Is there any sense investing points in more than one type? I'm currently using assault rifles only. Normally one would think of getting a side arm for reduced APs in closer distances or shotgun for mega damage, but here this with this everything is 2aps it apparently doesn't matter.
I assume you mean "different weapons within the same weapon class" ie. shotguns? It's basically a straight-up damage/crit upgrade as you upgrade to better weapons. Weapons may also have different special abilities available (e.g. automatic shotguns with burst fire) and some may be smartlink-enabled (+accuracy if you have a datajack).

Between different weapon classes, there are a lot of differences. Pistols are accurate at short-to-mid range, have good crit% and have some good low-AP specials, but the basic attack doesn't hit hard. Shotguns are good only at short-to-mid ranges with their accuracy dropping off heavily, but they can hit multiple enemies and drain AP. Rifles have boring specials (basically just 'more damage') with 2 AP reqs and they need to be reloaded often, but they do a lot of damage and are accurate at longer ranges. SMGs are very accurate and devastating at short range (1-AP bursts!), but aren't good for longer ranges. This becomes very obvious in Dragonfall if you have Eiger in your team (sniper rifle + shotgun combo), though the weaponmaster hireling in DMS also has a rifle/shotgun.

Skip DMS and play user campaigns (Stitch in Time, Shadowrun Unlimited).
I think the Antumbra trilogy is also pretty decent, esp p2 and p3.

Coriolanus

Learned
Don't skip DMS, it's a good enough RPG and far better than anything mods can offer. Every major one I tried like Nightmare Harvest or A Stitch In Time had some insufferable flaw like bad pacing, empty areas or poor quality writing.

Don't bother with min-maxing, you can do well even with a p. gimped build on Very Hard. Play whatever you think is fun (I did melee unarmed with combat adept... boy did it suck compared even to melee weapons but the challenge only made it more interesting).

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I wont skip it. Although flawed in respect of linearity and lack of choices, it has great atmosphere, good dialogue and interesting plot to follow. Combat is simplistic and not very challenging, but it has started to grow on me. Similar how i learned to like Fallout's combat which was equally banal.
Sure will try the mods too.

Getting back to guns, ok i see. I played a bit more and start to get a better gist myself. It's just that game doesn't give you any meaningful info on their stats. Every weapon no matter what class is ''range 19'' and there are no mentions of critical variables at all. Melee sucks though without any redeeming points, like for example having some interesting acquirable perks. Only downsides.

Tytus

Arcane
I have the GoG version and I tried installing the latest patch, but becasue GoG is shit sometimes. Every time I try to patch it there are some errors and it doesn't finish patching. I almost wish I got the steam version. Almost.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I wont skip it. Although flawed in respect of linearity and lack of choices, it has great atmosphere, good dialogue and interesting plot to follow. Combat is simplistic and not very challenging, but it has started to grow on me. Similar how i learned to like Fallout's combat which was equally banal.
Sure will try the mods too.

Getting back to guns, ok i see. I played a bit more and start to get a better gist myself. It's just that game doesn't give you any meaningful info on their stats. Every weapon no matter what class is ''range 19'' and there are no mentions of critical variables at all. Melee sucks though without any redeeming points, like for example having some interesting acquirable perks. Only downsides.
If you're going to play DMS, just stop at the funeral. Seriously.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Naah. Look, why don't you stop with this shit LOL GAEMSUX GO PLAY THAT OTHER GAEM.
A straight forward question. How do you jack in your own char (he's fine decker) along with that Louis woman?
edit: never mind, i didn't brought that deck thingie along D:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Can't figure whether i'm obliged to manually run that Louis bitch back to the matrix entrance or just escape with my crew and leave here there. I have no need for her. :mad:

Zetor

Arcane
You can always jack out by clicking the arrow button in the bottom left corner... it'll just stun the decker for a round or so.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Naah. Look, why don't you stop with this shit LOL GAEMSUX GO PLAY THAT OTHER GAEM.
A straight forward question. How do you jack in your own char (he's fine decker) along with that Louis woman?
edit: never mind, i didn't brought that deck thingie along D:
I never said don't play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom