Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

Flacracker

Educated
You play the fucking tabletop game multiplayer. Why not the video game?

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Then go start a table-top gaming group! Me? I want a computer game that focuses on the single-player experience so I can actually, you know, have a game that's not watered down to please the CoD crowd who wants EVERYTHING multi-player!! Leave that stuff for after they've created the core single-player experience.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Which edition of the PnP version is the best? I'm thinking about trying it.
2nd edition.

Yes, definitely 2nd Edition.
Any reasons why?

I thought 2nd edition was the best developed mechanically without too much min-maxing twinkery (so long as you avoided splatbooks that introduced things like biotech) and it wasn't until the end of 2nd edition that they started bringing in all the Earthdawn cross-over stuff with the demon spirits returning or whatever. Basically I thought Shadowrun really had its core concepts best expressed in 2nd edition without too much extraneous crap brought in from their dark fantasy setting - but it's possible that my own nostalgia plays a role here. YMMV. ;)

It's worth noting that 4th edition Shadowrun changed the game's mechanics fairly significantly. I couldn't be more specific than that since I didn't look overly closely at that edition. I'd started to lose interest in the setting when 3E came out.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Then go start a table-top gaming group! Me? I want a computer game that focuses on the single-player experience so I can actually, you know, have a game that's not watered down to please the CoD crowd who wants EVERYTHING multi-player!! Leave that stuff for after they've created the core single-player experience.
:retarded:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:retarded:

Yeah, a bit of hyperbole with the CoD comparison, huh? :oops: I just hate that so many people scream multi-player immediately with every game that is being pitched.

Silva

Arcane
After seeing some videos of their latest game (Steam Crimson Pirates) Im starting to get worried by the possibility that the game wont have any gameplay between missions - it will be a series of straight tactical combats linked by some story and a "re-arm and re-equip" phase.

If thats so, at least they could put some "static interactive screen" gameplay between missions, aka Rise of the Dragon for ms dos..

Rise%20of%20the%20Dragon_1.png

Rise%20of%20the%20Dragon_3.png

Rise%20of%20the%20Dragon_4.png

Multi-headed Cow

Don't see this mentioned on here yet, for everyone concerned about multiplayer.

We continue to be blown away by your level of support and your passion for Shadowrun. In fact, we were almost carried away on the wave of enthusiasm over the last couple of days. But yesterday we took a step back and refocused on our core design principals and what we want Shadowrun Returns to be. (That’s why you create core design principals in the first place—to refer back to them in situations like this.)
As part of our review, we came to the conclusion that feature additions such as a Linux version, Multiplayer PvP, and Cooperative Play are beyond the scope of the project and would cause us to lose focus on the game you reacted to so positively (and the game we really want to make).
When Shadowrun Returns comes out (and is the success we all want it to be), we promise to look at these features as the core of a future release.
We are totally focused on our core goals of creating a kick-ass single player game with deep stories and thoughtful turn-based gameplay in world we can all play with. We hope you respect that decision, and again thank you for your enormous support and encouragement.

So multiplayer is out, which is a good thing. Even though the the multiplayer COULD be good, I'd rather they spend the time and energy and money on singleplayer.

Silva

Arcane
I wouldn't mind a Shadowrun Fallout: Tactics with a better system.
I finished it but dont remember.. is there any gameplay out of combat in it ? I think you could walk around BoS base and choose missions on a map ?

Anyway, FO: Tactics was cool. Remember having a hard time with those sand people with lasers.

catfood

AGAIN
Which edition of the PnP version is the best? I'm thinking about trying it.
2nd edition.

Yes, definitely 2nd Edition.
Any reasons why?

I thought 2nd edition was the best developed mechanically without too much min-maxing twinkery (so long as you avoided splatbooks that introduced things like biotech) and it wasn't until the end of 2nd edition that they started bringing in all the Earthdawn cross-over stuff with the demon spirits returning or whatever. Basically I thought Shadowrun really had its core concepts best expressed in 2nd edition without too much extraneous crap brought in from their dark fantasy setting - but it's possible that my own nostalgia plays a role here. YMMV. ;)

It's worth noting that 4th edition Shadowrun changed the game's mechanics fairly significantly. I couldn't be more specific than that since I didn't look overly closely at that edition. I'd started to lose interest in the setting when 3E came out.

I see, thanks. What I am looking for is a game with easy to medium difficulty rules that would fit well with my group. For instance I would love to play some Pathfinder, but sadly that game is kinda rules heavy for my friends. Is the Shadowrun system fairly simple to play?

Silva

Arcane
Sorry to say it, but no edition of Shadowrun PnP can be called "simple". I would say its between Vampire/World of Darkness and D&D/Gurps on a scale of complexity.

BTW, just came back from a Shadowrun PnP session. It had a brothel called "Bang & Bingo" where you got to bang a whore for free if you winned the bingo.

potatojohn

Arcane
As part of our review, we came to the conclusion that feature additions such as a Linux version [..] are beyond the scope of the project
Yeah well, as part of my review, I came to the conclusion that supporting this shitty game/developer is beyond the scope of my being.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As part of our review, we came to the conclusion that feature additions such as a Linux version [..] are beyond the scope of the project
Yeah well, as part of my review, I came to the conclusion that supporting this shitty game/developer is beyond the scope of my being.

I have a feeling that the cry of anguish from our lesser Linux Brothers may be addressed. So hang in there. At least I hope so.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
In the newest kickstarter video Weisman said that they'd scrap the idea for co-op and online pvp in favor of focusing on the really important stuff. He also said that the current idea they have in mind for the game is to make combat have the same kind of tacticool depth and perspective as X-COM. :incline:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sounds like he wants to make something more like Jagged Alliance than X-com.
Shadowrun + ja2/xcom tactics/perspective..

o_O

Should I give them my money?

Personally, I HIGHLY doubt this dev team has the knowledge and experience to do a very hardcore in-depth turn-based cRPG (that's not what they have made in the past). Others have mentioned, a LOT of the classic cRPG's in the past came from such dev teams that also didn't come from such backgrounds. But for the most part, they seem to be listening to the people funding this and will probably arrive at some kind of happy medium. I'm not going to hold my breath either (in hopes of a HARD CORE cRPG).

I LOVE this setting however (and the fucking FOUNDER of the Shadowrun PnP setting is making this), and I will be backing them. If what you heard so far makes you jump on board, then yes. Fund it. Fight the good fight with your voice (and wallet). If not, maybe keep watching the updates and further interviews. It certainly can't be worse than the shit action games BioWare and Bethesda shit out these days, and call a "RPG". But who knows.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Even really good games like Fallout + Arcanum had mediocre turn based combat at best. So if these guys could deliver something like that, together with the other important things like freedom and a classic PC UI, in their (obviously) genuinely interesting setting, I am already excited and would support them.

They just have to make it absolutely clear to me what they are going to do, not only these Wow! videos.

But their kickstarter is only some days old, and it looks like they are really on the right track.

So if someone from harebrained reads this: there could be potentially even more money. I can only speak about myself of course.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
The latest video they have on their kickstarter page talks about X-COM style combat, no multiplayer, and basically the desire to make a solid single-player game. So no multiplayer in the initial release but Weisman hinted that they might add it later on. We can all rest easy now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom