Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun Returns Pre-Release Thread

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I dunno, but I found the System Shock 2 soundtrack the only one worth listening to, as well as some warm ambient moments in Deus Ex. I am a big fan of INDUSTRIAL musiq in general, so maybe more machinery sounds and use of general tone, bass kept to a general hum, and keyboards on repetitive, darkwave-driven loops...

That is my general vision of Cyberpunk, friend.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
They put up a new update,they will add a Linux version if they reach the 1 million after all

Which is mostly a given. I already see them go well past 1 million, and perhaps even 2 million. They are already in the same hunting ground as Fargo. It's up to them now, if they can declare a vision that wins people like me.

But please no more Wow! and top men! videos, we are already getting past that stage.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Too expensive. The Wasteland 2 box is only 50 bucks and comes with a cloth map.
I think Brother None mentioned that Fargo was actually being too consumer-friendly there (meaning he's likely losing money by setting it that low). Double Fine's box copy was $100. Plus you also have to account for getting the hardcover book from the previous tier.

I'm still going to hold out until like the next-to-last day to see if a cheaper non-deluxe box option shows up of course. :p

Johannes

Arcane
He shouldn't be losing money with 50$ boxes, even with postage and shit, but yeah, he might not get more in the end than he would from a straight 15$ backing which doesn't come with extra costs. Even if they do get more money up fron from it.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #6 1.5M goal gets backers an exclusive mission that ties the SNES and Genesis games into this one. Here was my response on Kickstarter:

Here's another vote to allow everyone to get the "exclusive" mission. That's not what Kickstater is about. The goal itself to get the SNES/Genesis tie-in mission is great but don't make it exclusive to us. The physical rewards are cool but the game itself should not be dragged through the mud of "exclusive pre-order" or "DLC" type junk! Make a COMPLETE game for everyone to see what these style games are and hopefully bring on a renaissance of turn-based, single-player, story driven cRPGs!!!

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
^I think you mean 1.5 mil but yeah sounds good, especially if you played the originals, which I never did, and will never do. I'll just look at it as a bonus mission thanks to new backers.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^I think you mean 1.5 mil but yeah sounds good, especially if you played the originals, which I never did, and will never do. I'll just look at it as a bonus mission thanks to new backers.

oops :oops: I had Wasteland 2 on the brain!

I don't like the "exclusive" bit at all. Just feels like a publisher type thing to do.

Alex

Arcane
I don't like it either, but I think they are just trying to find a way to say "thank you". Besides, if the runs in this game works as I think they do, having a "mission" tying the console games to this isn't much more than an easter egg.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected

oops :oops: I had Wasteland 2 on the brain!

I don't like the "exclusive" bit at all. Just feels like a publisher type thing to do.

They've been doing that since the beginning of their Kickstarter, "Exclusive to backers deal!1", yet people haven't been on their ass as much as Fargo, perhaps due to people looking at Wasteland 2 as their personal Second Coming of Christ.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Funnily enough when it's a good turn-based game I don't care about not having exclusive map content. What are the chances it'll be the best mission ever you are missing out if you don't play it? About as likely as one map in Jagged Alliance 2 having the absolute best combat you have got to go to this location first man

heeey Clockwork Knight

Silva

Arcane
So, no one else is worried that this game ends being a linear mission-after-mission campaign with little to no interaction outside of combat ?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There is a turn based tactical game a la JA coming in this day and age, in a wonderful setting, and you are worried >? I'm mostly worried that my wallet cannot handle the incline.

Silva

Arcane
Dwarvenfood, Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 had meaningful interaction outside of combat - hiring mercs, managing them (healings, repairing, training ), exploring the map, freedom to piclk missions, making contacts with the locals, etc. The same can be said about Xcom, Fallout: Tactics, etc.- great tactical combat games by itself.

My worry is that this game ends like JA2: Unfinished Business - a series of linear missions with no interaction outside of it. Or worse like consoles "Final Fantasy Tactics" games, consisting of a linear (and boring) story interspaced with combats.

Got the difference ?

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Update #6 1.5M goal gets backers an exclusive mission that ties the SNES and Genesis games into this one. Here was my response on Kickstarter:

Here's another vote to allow everyone to get the "exclusive" mission. That's not what Kickstater is about. The goal itself to get the SNES/Genesis tie-in mission is great but don't make it exclusive to us. The physical rewards are cool but the game itself should not be dragged through the mud of "exclusive pre-order" or "DLC" type junk! Make a COMPLETE game for everyone to see what these style games are and hopefully bring on a renaissance of turn-based, single-player, story driven cRPGs!!!

While I do understand the need to make the backers happy, I do not see a "backer exclusive mission" as being fair to those who buy the finished product simply because they couldn't back the game at this time due to factors such as unemployment, bills to pay, or other events beyond their control.

I have no problem with all the backer goodies but making content exclusive is really not a cool thing. For example, the Codex gets a temple in their honor but at least everyone gets to see it not just those Codexians that donated.

Maybe I am just grumpy because I can't support the games I want because of unemployment and that is coloring my judgement.

almondblight

Arcane
Silva -

In one of the videos he seems to make it clear that a lot will happen outside of combat. I think it might be the 3rd or 4th one?

Jagged Alliance 2

130531855552.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So, no one else is worried that this game ends being a linear mission-after-mission campaign with little to no interaction outside of combat ?

If anyone thinks this is going to be the HOLY GRAIL of Shadowrun as a cRPG with incredibly complex stat/skill combat, choice and consequences, non linear, multiple ways of doing things, I think you are completely deluding yourself. I don't even think a single developer there even knows or has even head of such things. Granted the actual writer of the original PnP rule system is the CEO there, I'm not really expecting anything too deep.

I basically am expecting a fun cRPG like romp IN THE FUCKING GREATEST PnP SETTING EVAR! (and perhaps similar to the SNES and Genesis games). And is thankfully free of the fucking moronic influence of Publishers and their retarded Marketing Departments (Only make games THAT SELL to a wide audience! OMG PROFIT! Gotta make the share holders happy!).

Granted if the said they were going to hire Obsidian to co-develop this, then I would empty out my bank account on this project....

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
^I don't understand how Obsidian could make the game better but yeah, should be well worth the pledge...

Well Obsidian is a company that understands and has a background in cRPG's. And has a passion to make good cRPG's if they weren't stuck under the shit Publisher model they have to contend with (and have projects Publishers have said they will never fund).

How many cRPG's has Harebrained Schemes made? None come to mind. But some of the really good cRPG's in the past have come from people without that kind of background, so who knows.

I just hope they are doing their homework and getting to know all the expectations from all of the people that adore this setting.

I doubt they would ever visit here. We tend to scare such people away.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
In all fairness, Obsidian's track record is iffy at best. We have their best writer MCA working on Wasteland 2, and their own Kickstarter coming up for them to prove that they are more than capable of creating masterpieces on their own without publisher influence. Obsidian working with Hairbrained Schemes to create their (HBS) own game strikes me as rather silly and pointless.

Now, say Harebrained schemes uses the KS money and makes a mediocre game with plenty of room for improvement, yet Obsidian's KS game rocks the house and then some, then I would rejoice at the idea of Obsidian and HBS working together on Kickstarter.

Until then, we really have no proof either company can produce something great or spectacular even on their own, just reasonable doubt.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In all fairness, Obsidian's track record is iffy at best.

Every single Obsidian game has been made under the Publisher and their Marketing Department model demands. In that they must follow their wishes and then design a game around that. On the whole, I think they have done very well.

Look how BioWare is doing under such an environment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom