Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shamus Young's Top 64 PC Games

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yep, it's time for another one of these: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=24169

64-57: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=24453

64. Tetris

Link (YouTube)

Tetris only appears on the list because it feels strange to leave it off. Consider this an honorary position. Or something. Still, it’s one of the most famous games ever made, I played it back in the day, and it’s been on the PC in various forms in the past, so it technically qualifies to be on the list. Long before Angry Brids, long before Bejewled, Tetris was the original coffee-break game.

More than any other game, Tetris seems to transcend platform distinctions and eras. It’s been everywhere… except Steam. Yes, you cannot buy any version or variant of Tetris for the PC right now, short of buying used. Who owns this license, and how dumb are they?

63. Homeworld

top50_homeworld.jpg

Largely considered a classic, Homeworld is something of a historical dead-end. There weren’t any clones[1] and the series vanished after the sequel.

I didn’t finish the game. Like a lot of people, I got bored and frustrated on the mission where you have to fly through some asteroids to shield you from radiation, or something. I kept telling myself I’d come back to it later. But then I read that the game auto-balances: The more economical you are with your forces, the more bonus units the game gives to your foes. Knowing this, I don’t see myself ever booting up the game again. Why bother mastering a game that punishes efficiency and rewards carelessness?

Still, that soundtrack was something amazing. Watching an epic fleet battle backed by a haunting score was deeply appealing.

62. Riven

top50_riven.jpg

Myst was a game that launched a genre. Okay, not a great genre. The “explore a fantastical world built by an obtuse obstructionist jackass via pre-rendered video clips” thing came and went in the 90′s, and it doesn’t hold up well today. But during its brief time in the sun, Riven stood out as the perfection of that formula.

It’s also, in a strange way, a defense of games built around graphical fidelity. Long before Crysis came along and tried to offer visuals in place of solid gameplay, Riven was offering a game so detailed that its screenshots can almost be mistaken for photographs.

61. Burnout Paradise

top50_burnout.jpg

I’m not much for racing games, but every once in a while something special rolls along that captures my interest. Paradise has a wonderful, immediate feel to it. You just explore the map and jump into activities as you encounter them, a bit like the mini-games in Saints Row 2. Also, your goal is to smash other cars more than out-race them, which I find more appealing.

On the downside, I used to like that Guns & Roses song, but this game drowns you in it. WE LICENSED A REAL SONG! LOOK HOW COOL WE ARE! HOW ABOUT YOU LISTEN TO IT THE ENTIRE TIME YOU’RE USING THE MENU AND WAITING FOR LOADING SCREENS AND ON THE TITLE SCREEN AND WHEN YOU LAUNCH THE GAME AND…

60. Stanley Parable

2013_stanleyparable.jpg

It’s an extended joke, an essay, a stand-up routine and yes – a parable. Sort of. But it’s a joke that could only be told in the context of a game. It doesn’t have one-liners you can repeat to get a laugh. The only way to get the joke is to participate in the joke, and in participating you find there’s nothing for you to do, because that’s the joke. Or whatever. It’s all very meta.

It was smart and amusing and very, very charming.

59. Leisure Suit Larry and the Land of the Lounge Lizards

top50_larry.jpg

I remember discovering this game in 1989. It was my first adventure game of the Sierra variety. It was my first (genuinely) humorous game. It was the first game I ever played with risque humor. It was the first time I played a game not explicitly aimed at kids. It was, in its own way, strangely educational. The constant references to the pop-culture of the 60′s and 70′s rubbed off on me[2]. It was where I discovered that Nixon was probably not anyone’s favorite person.

I was delighted to see the game get a re-make in 2013. At least, I was delighted until I tried to play it.

The humor had aged very poorly. It’s been a quarter century. I changed. The culture changed. Games changed. “Ha ha condoms!” was funny to me in 1989, but I can’t seem to see this game through those eyes.

Still, it was special in its day.

58. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

top50_moh.jpg

This may look suspiciously like an entry to round out the bottom of my list, but… yeah, it is.

This came at the tail end of the World War II craze that happened around the turn of the century, but it’s most notable for being the genesis of the modern military shooter. I add it here not because I remember it vividly, but because I don’t. It perfectly encapsulates everything about the genre today. The only parts I remember now are the bits it ripped off from the movies it wishes it were, and the only impression I still carry with me was that the end was a bit of a slog. There was nothing particularly wrong with it, but it felt strangely ephemeral and disposable.

And in a strange way, it probably led to the next entry…

57. Spec Ops: The Line

specops_story8.jpg

How did they get away with this? It’s a conventional bro shooter that condemns conventional bro-shooters.

Some people criticized the game for railroading you into into taking morally repugnant actions. They also rejected the options offered them by the game as invalid or unacceptable. That’s fair, but I want to use a really asinine and obnoxious defense:

I don’t think the game was designed for you.

I get that defense all the time when I criticize games, so I know how annoying it is. But hear me out. If you were questioning the morality of your character’s actions and looking for justifications for all the killing you were asked to do, then you were probably immune to the central hook of this game. This game was designed with the assumption that the player would see themselves as the good guy and therefore their actions would naturally be in the service of good. It wanted the player to just accept that everyone who ends up on the other side of their gun must therefore be “bad” and worthy of killing. It wanted the player to feel empowered and courageous, and to see themselves as avatars of justice. And then it wanted to condemn them for such a juvenile approach to violence, war, and morality, because that’s exactly how horrific war crimes are perpetrated. Don’t assume that you’re on the side of justice because you mean well. Don’t blindly trust your leaders, and don’t see yourself as a force of good simply because you’re killing people you’ve been told are bad.

Link (YouTube)

The game did this by simply allowing you to follow the exact same mechanical path that you follow in all military shooters: Weapon upgrades, grenades, vehicle section, bomb-dropping section, the sniping section, the “hold off waves of foes” section, and the “hurry through a crumbling landscape” section. You’re supposed to settle in to the familiar mechanics and blindly follow the orders given to you by the game.

Now, if you want to say this makes for a frustrating or unfair game I can’t really argue with you. But what amazes me is that the designers didn’t seem to care. This game burned all its bridges. You can’t pull this trick on players twice, and they left no room for a sequel. They had to realize when they made this that they weren’t going to get to make another one. Since the game seems to hold the intended audience in contempt, I don’t think success was ever their goal. The designers had something to say, and that was more important to them than financial success. Which makes me wonder: Did the publisher understand the game they were backing and publishing?

It’s an angry game. It’s equal parts ugly, unfair, audacious, subversive, and offensive. It’s like a version of Michael Bay’s Transformers where the human characters all realize that they’re irrelevant and the Autobots suddenly realize they’re all violent children. The only people who would enjoy it are people who would never watch it, and the people who would watch it would never enjoy it.

How did they get away with this?

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Yep, it's time for another one of these: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=24169

63. Homeworld

top50_homeworld.jpg

Largely considered a classic, Homeworld is something of a historical dead-end. There weren’t any clones[1] and the series vanished after the sequel.

I didn’t finish the game. Like a lot of people, I got bored and frustrated on the mission where you have to fly through some asteroids to shield you from radiation, or something. I kept telling myself I’d come back to it later. But then I read that the game auto-balances: The more economical you are with your forces, the more bonus units the game gives to your foes. Knowing this, I don’t see myself ever booting up the game again. Why bother mastering a game that punishes efficiency and rewards carelessness?

Still, that soundtrack was something amazing. Watching an epic fleet battle backed by a haunting score was deeply appealing.

I do not believe that's true, Mr. Young.

EDIT: Or is it? Homeworld 2 used such balancing, but was some there in original?

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Exactly. Whoever this is, he seems to have a poor taste in games.

Good point about Tetris, though. Why isn't that game on Steam?

And I gave up on Homeworld at the last mission due to the imposed Wall of Difficulty. "Here, let me silence your mothership and see if you can beat this."

EDIT: Clarity.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane

He's technically correct if he refers to the auto balancing system of Homeworld 2 , a system that I freely admit was an abomination. Of course, he is failing to recognizing the difference between Homeworld 1 and its sequel, and the only thing he can say is that "Music was cool". Of course, someone that maintains that HW is an inferior game to "Spec Ops whatever" already gets into the category "Braindead Chimp".

Plus, he quite failed to catch the role that Allied Assault had in its age. It was the first of a new genre of WWII shooters: and it shared far more with the "Half-Life" model of shooters than with the CoD model. Plus, from his description, I doubt that he has even played Myst or Riven.

Short to say, this guy is ignorant buffoon, writes poorly, fails to check his entries even with a 20 second Google search. Could be amusing to nitpick. Waste of time, probably.

Who is this guy again?

And I gave up on Homeworld at the last mission due to the imposed Wall of Difficulty. "Here, let me silence your mothership and see if you can beat this."

Hm. HW 1 is not that difficult, even without abusing the capturing mechanics. And I found the "Mothership Silence" a cool "storyfag" gimmick. Ironically, beginner missions can be more difficult in HW 1 than ending missions: less resources to deal with the unexpected.

EDIT REPLY:
EDIT: Or is it? Homeworld 2 used such balancing, but was some there in original?

Yes, there was also some in the original. Far less noticeable and far better implemented. But what he is describing is the HW2 model of "I'M DROWNING YOU IN BATTLECRUISERS" thingie.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Doesn't EA hold the rights? They released it on Android but its some bullshit moderntarded remake without the original visuals or music, and i'm sure that's what we'd get anyway if they were to release it on Steam. I guess we have to stick to emulators.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
On the upside, I doubt any game has more clones than Tetris, and some of them even surpass the original in several ways. Tetripz is one of my personal favourites, because "Why not play a game while tripping on drugs?".

Though in hindsight, I'd update the music. OH GOD THE PAIN.

Declinator

Arbiter

Doesn't EA hold the rights? They released it on Android but its some bullshit moderntarded remake without the original visuals or music, and i'm sure that's what we'd get anyway if they were to release it on Steam. I guess we have to stick to emulators.

EA does not hold the rights. The Tetris Company does.

DraQ

Arcane

63. Homeworld

top50_homeworld.jpg

I believe there might have been some extremely subtle instances in 1 (for example I recall some resource packets that were disabled or enabled based on player's funds and fleet), but nothing even approaching ridiculousness of HW2's scaling.
Or maybe I just never moved far enough from one end of the scaling spectrum (upper one, I believe, because I don't believe my OCD shenanigans were anywhere close to reasonable way of playing the game, especially given that on a subsequent playthrough my fleet extended beyond accessible play area, with some ships inaccessible or at least hard to reach without alt-select camera calisthenics).

Anyway, beating Homeworld when playing close to optimal was viable regardless of scaling or lack of thereof, while playing HW2 near optimally resulted in overwhelmingly massive fleets steamrolling you seconds after the hyperspace exit cutscene ended, and the only cure was restarting and playing it just so-so, which is, along with derpy patchwork plot, idiotic retcons and auto-completion the most damning thing about HW2.

Which is a shame as I actually enjoyed a lot of both mechanical improvements (simplified formation management excluded) and ship design (banana 2.0 excluded) from 2 and wouldn't mind remake or "Tru" sequel mod using HW2 assets and mechanics.

Other than that:
Short to say, this guy is ignorant buffoon, writes poorly, fails to check his entries even with a 20 second Google search. Could be amusing to nitpick. Waste of time, probably.

Who is this guy again?
Pretty much this.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The list itself could be alright, but the reasons for including this or that game are completely retarded. He puts Riven on there because of graphic fidelity and doesn't mention puzzles? Spec Ops is "not designed for you" because it railroads you? Dude, it's a game. Leave the railroading to movies (funny too, he makes this exact criticism in the MOHAA entry, though he doesn't formulate it as such). And of course there's the always-obnoxious "it was great for its time and now it sucks" crap that seems so common these days.

It's pretty funny that, for almost half the entries, he outright admits he's just adding games on there to "round up the list". Great way to make one Shamus!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shamus is an interesting guy in that he's a rare example of an outspoken "high-brow casual". That is, a fairly smart guy, who can recognize poor storytelling when he sees it, who is nevertheless a "lightweight" and not a hardcore gamer. That gives him a...unique perspective on things.

(If you don't believe me about the storytelling, search for his opinion on Fallout 3)

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
On MoH:AA:
I add it here not because I remember it vividly, but because I don’t. It perfectly encapsulates everything about the genre today. The only parts I remember now are the bits it ripped off from the movies it wishes it were, and the only impression I still carry with me was that the end was a bit of a slog.

Weird, I actually think it was one of the more memorable WW2 FPS games. Omaha Beach is, of course, stuck forever in the minds of everyone who played the game. The U-Boat mission with the hilariously shitty disguise segment was great too, as was that part with the Nebelwerfers or whatever they're called, where you get a squad of dorks who will almost necessarily die within about 10 minutes.

And the bullshit sniper town mission where you can't even see the assholes shooting at you, and every single wardrobe has some guy who thinks he's a ninja hiding inside. And that music:

Last edited:

:Flash:

Arcane
On the upside, I doubt any game has more clones than Tetris, and some of them even surpass the original in several ways. Tetripz is one of my personal favourites, because "Why not play a game while tripping on drugs?".

Though in hindsight, I'd update the music. OH GOD THE PAIN.

My favourite is still Duotris on the C64. The music is one of the best ever made for the C64 (I sometimes have it play in an endless loop outside of the game), and the 2 player mode is simply great.

Allanon

Augur
How many of you read his intro to the list?

Eventually I realized that after deriding Top X lists for years, I hypocritically want to make one. Not because I think the final product is useful. (I don’t care who makes the list, it’s still hogwash. Look, I worked for a couple of weeks on my list and I still think it’s hogwash.)

This is a kind of experiment, “What is it like to make one of these, and how would it turn out if I made one?” I realize this is terribly crypto-hipster of me to both deride and then ironically indulge in something shallow. Just humor me.

Shamus is a nice guy, making a stupid list to ridicule lists. How very edgy of you to take it seriously and make fools of yourselves.

Dayyālu

Arcane
How many of you read his intro to the list?

Eventually I realized that after deriding Top X lists for years, I hypocritically want to make one. Not because I think the final product is useful. (I don’t care who makes the list, it’s still hogwash. Look, I worked for a couple of weeks on my list and I still think it’s hogwash.)

This is a kind of experiment, “What is it like to make one of these, and how would it turn out if I made one?” I realize this is terribly crypto-hipster of me to both deride and then ironically indulge in something shallow. Just humor me.

Shamus is a nice guy, making a stupid list to ridicule lists. How very edgy of you to take it seriously and make fools of yourselves.

Ahhh, context. I plead guilty, I failed to read the intro. Let's read this one.....(checks intro)

Understandable. Now explain to me how a fairly shitty list devoid of humour, wit and proper knowledge should "ridicule" other lists: I fail to see it as "funny". If that's the case, he should not even bother to produce such drivel. Of course, he could get better in the next entries... but he started badly, you'll have to admit.

That I should defend the right to claim that something is shit on the 'Dex, of all places.... weird times we live in.

Murk

Arcane
Lemming42 Likewise. MoH:AA was the only FPS I played past an initial "one run". It was fun, simple, and there is still a dedicated community playing it to this day. It was also the weirdest group of people -- which if you initially take out the usual teenage crowd, the most dedicated and organized players were all 30+ years old.

Had tons of fun in that game frolicking with bunnyhopping nazis spamming "grenade take cover!".

pippin

I'm Ok with Homeworld getting some credit, though. I had Cataclysm (the stand alone expansion) and it's one of the three times I've been in awe of what was going on on my good old CRT monitor.

Absalom

Who is more foolish, the fool, or the fool that clicks on the fools shit article and gives him ad revenue

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
The list is shit, long live the list. Also, why 64? Nintendo fag detected?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I've got the impression that in the end Shamus is a bro who appreciates good games, so I'd expect the top 10 or so to be mostly pretty good. Of course these lists are usually useless and making one is always doomed to be a failure on several levels, and if you want to include every genre and every decade, chances are that at least the tail end of the list is going to end up being a mess. Like here.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Shamus is an interesting guy in that he's a rare example of an outspoken "high-brow casual". That is, a fairly smart guy, who can recognize poor storytelling when he sees it, who is nevertheless a "lightweight" as a gamer and not hardcore. That gives him a...unique perspective on things.

(If you don't believe me about the storytelling, search for his opinion on Fallout 3)
I remember him saying Fallout 3 is more fun because it is more stupid on the whole(narrative, engine) compared to New Fagas

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom