Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Shardlight by Wadjet Eye Games

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, being a Wadjet Eye game, how long is this one? 21 minutes? 22 minutes? 30 ENTIRE MINUTES maybe (yeah I'm optimistic I know)? Maybe in the future they will even rival the gameplay length of a single Telltale episode...

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I believe that Technobabylon was the longest third-party WEG title (like maybe 50% longer than prior titles, 10 hour average completition vs. 6-7 for Gemini Rue, Primordia, and Resonance), so maybe the same will be true for Shardlight. The Blackwell games also got longer with each iteration.

Incidentally, although this is contrary to my experience, HowLongToBeat.com claims that the golden age Sierra/Lucast titles were <10 hours (excepting KQVI, QFG, and Gabriel Knight). Most of them are in the 6-7 hour range. I think this is skewed because people now are working off walkthroughs, but who knows?

Last edited:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I believe that Technobabylon was the longest third-party WEG title (like maybe 50% longer than prior titles, 10 hour average completition vs. 6-7 for Gemini Rue, Primordia, and Resonance), so maybe the same will be true for Shardlight. The Blackwell games also got longer with each iteration.

Incidentally, although this is contrary to my experience, HowLongToBeat.com claims that the golden age Sierra/Lucast titles were <10 hours (excepting KQVI, QFG, and Gabriel Knight). Most of them are in the 6-7 hour range. I think this is skewed because people now are working off walkthroughs, but who knows?

Speaking of Primordia, will we ever get a version that has the one puzzle cut out before release in the game, now that the game is out and reviewers had their time to play it. I figure it would be a good time to get a true Director's Cut version out :P

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's tempting. But James (the coder) and I talked about it before our last big patch (a year ago), and he said he had always hated the puzzle and didn't want to put it in. Even if I could change his mind now, it would require changing the French and Spanish* translation patches, which is a burden I don't want to put on the translators.

(* The Spanish one is finished but not yet released.)

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
It's tempting. But James (the coder) and I talked about it before our last big patch (a year ago), and he said he had always hated the puzzle and didn't want to put it in. Even if I could change his mind now, it would require changing the French and Spanish* translation patches, which is a burden I don't want to put on the translators.

(* The Spanish one is finished but not yet released.)

That's too bad but understandable :) Thank you for the reply nonetheless :)

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Many reviews are up, running the gamut. The most positive is Rock Paper Shotgun's, which begins: "It’s a rare and genuinely special thing when a post-millennial adventure game is unafraid to just tell you its story." I think one of those words must be used in a way unfamiliar to me, because read literally the sentence seems entirely backward. The most negative is Slant Magazine's, which condemns the game as on-rails with an ending even less meaningful than Mass Effect 3's, name checks several classic adventures, and concludes, "Shardlight, then, is a mere fragment of the game it could've been, as there's nothing holding it together."

Here are some other English-language ones (there are also Italian, Spanish, and German ones floating around):

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3041...post-apocalypse-point-and-click-pleasure.html 3.5/5
http://www.gamewatcher.com/reviews/shardlight-review/12494 8.5/10
http://www.pcinvasion.com/shardlight-review 6/10
http://techraptor.net/content/shardlight-review 9/10

Overall, I'd say it sounds pretty nifty, and I'm pleased that they changed the villain's name from Caligula to Tiberius, a definite step in the right direction, though per Slant Magazine the villains are still cartoonish.

RuySan

Augur
Does this game has multiple solution or choices and consequences like Primordia?

Or is it very much conservative? The story doesn't really appeal to me, so only the quality of the puzzles may convince me to buy this one. How are they?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The reviews generally describe the puzzles as straightforward and logical, and the game as linear, though it sounds like you get to choose whether to side with the oppressive Aristocrats or revolutionaries at the end. There is one puzzle involving a chalk drawing that some reviews describe as too hard, and it looks pretty cool. :)

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
God, if a puzzle is the least bit difficult, reviewers cry about it.

"THIS IS A GAME!! WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? PLAY IT?"

Bt

Last edited:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I'll point them in the direction of a novel in a fucking library!

Bt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom