Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shards Online: Alpha Test Weekend

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1468280928/shards-online-a-customizable-sandbox-mmorpg

Yeah its a fucking Kickstart project...I know...But it has a playable Alpha open to the public this weekend.

This is where the genre should have headed after the heyday of UO.

The concepts here are amazing. Player Owned shards, full modding capabilities and customization in a Virtual World. We could see Steampunk Shards, Wild West shards, Modern Warfare Shards...The possibilities are endless.

Please, try this out and see what is already here- Then read about the concepts, ideals and gameplan as to where they want this game. What Kickstarter MMO has offered an a playable Alpha before even being funded? Plus this will be a Buy to Play game with optional subscription for official servers...

Make your own world- Or play in someones creation.

I am excited as hell for the game- So much that I risk the dreaded "Advertising Plant" icon on my fucking name.

Now fund this shit.

Download link here. http://citadelstudios.net/?p=2458

Servers are open to the public all weekend long. There isnt a ton to do but it shows there IS a game here.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
What the fuck?

the Incline is within reach and yet the the learned ones sit idle.

This reminds me of god damned pharisees in the Bible that didnt see the messiah when he was making wine and shit right in front of their eyes... Typical jewlike behavior - To be expected... But on the codex?

Whats it going to take to get the codex on board? To remove the scales from your eyes? What if I said that if this thing funds there will be free trannys for all involved?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Whats it going to take to get the codex on board?

The fact that this isn't a comprehensive game but how things are looking right now shit official shard and a gajillion inofficial shards of which 1% will have a good ruleset and about 0.5% of the total population (or 2 people, the admin and his friend).
I am not looking for any logical assessment here- I just want the codex on board dammit..Please take your logic elsewhere... =P

Seriously though- I understand where you are coming from here. The unofficial servers will mired with shit at the start and will take time to weed through the garbage, separate the wheat from the chaff and see which player servers end up with some longevity. I am certain that with the modding tools available there will be some fantastic shards/clusters but there will certainly be a phase where many will not last.

That said, there are plans for an official server which sound awesome. Not sure if you saw the dev Q and A and heard about what they have in the works. The Official server will have several shards including a more fantasy based area (like the pre alpha shard we played) , a Roman type area with a coliseum, a Massive tower dungeon area with a sort of permadeath thing going on (each level of the Tower gets progressively harder and the rewards are great but death is serious bizznizz ) and a kind of steam punk meets Cuthulu area.

They also plan to have active GMs and community events and all that good stuff.

...But...Considering this doesnt look like its going to fund (I blame the Codex for this...Honestly) I think we may end up with less themes and maybe even just the Fantasy area at launch.

The devs said that if this doesnt fund there will be a reassessment of what they are going to do and what features will need to be cut or placed on hold.

Once they post the Q and A from this weekend I will post links here so you can listen.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Looks like Diablo.
Plays like diablo too- Alot of potential here with the player created stuff but sadly they didnt make their KS goal.

They still plan to develop and release though and they recently said they will be focusing on getting the base systems and mod tools out to the modders and slowly moving towards an alpha phase.

I think its going to be a cool game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom