Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shattered [CYOA]

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somewhere.

Before you open your eyes, you already know that something is wrong. Horribly wrong. For first few moments... or hours or prehaps even days - you cannot tell - you feel only your own heartbeat. Then you start to feel something cold touching skin on your face and hands - floor. You open your eyes... you lie on something that seems to be made of crystal. Crystal red as blood. Above you, only darkness. At least this is what you can see from your current position. Crystal isn't too comfortable surface to lie on, so you decide to move. Your hands clenches. You moves your feet, first right, later left... both move without problems. You seems to be unharmed, at least at first glance.

As your eyes get used to darkness around, you try to turn around, on your back. After a fair amount of attempts, you finally succeed. Still, not much changes - you can see only darkness. When you take a look around, you see only fields of crystal. Where the hell are you? Where is... well, anyone? Why you are here?

When you try to get up, crystal shakes. At first, those are only weak trembles, but with each one, earthquake become more and more powerful. Finally, you can't even keep your balance and you fall on your knees... And then crystal surface, far away from you, explodes.

When it happends, you scream, as pain in your head explode. It become more and more powerful with each tremor and explosion. Pieces of crystal start to rise, into darkness, but you can't even think about it. Pain is too much to endure, as you scream louder and louder. Finally, earthquake stops and you fall on the ground. Cold crystal almost make pain bearable. You close your eyes again, trying to focus on your thoughts, but instead, you slowly lose consciousness.

When you wake up again, everything seems same as before - except two things: pieces of crystal floating above you and that some pieces of crystal changed their color. Then you start to notice more changes. Crystal isn't as it was before - between some cracks, you can see small columns or rather shards of crystals. They have different colors - blue, pink, yellow. Many of colors. Some of those are beyond your reach - some cracks are just too big. Cracks... rather deep chasms.

You stand up, again. Saying you feel bad would be a bit of understatement, but at least you can still walk. You decide to look at one of those shards, maybe you will learn something - after all, it can't hurt... right?

Your hands slowly reach for shard, as it seems to glow when your hands are closer and closer. And then you find out that you can't pull your hands away. You can't control your body anymore...

No. What is happening?! - your thought resound in your own head and even crystal seems react to it, as it shines even brighter then before. Finally, your hands touch it...

Your surroundings change, instantly, almost like you would move through time and space. You are sure you closed your eyes only for a second, but it was enough. Now you stand on a top of hill, above battlefield. You see two armies, charging at each other. You suddenly feel calmer, despite that you are almost in middle of battle. As both sides clash into each other, you smiles. You look around, but for now, you don't see anyone closer to you then people fighting below.

When you inspect both sides, you suddenly realize that banners they carry are blank. For some reason, this make you shiver. You try to think, focus. Something inside of your mind trembles when you do that. You start to feel pain again... but it isn't only pain. Something is happening, while everything around you becomes more realistic then before. You can see faces of people, standing so far away... but you can't tell who are those. As fast as those disappear in chaos of battle, you forget.

You gasps, as you realize that. You forget. But you don't know what. You keep your gaze on battle, on everything around you. And then, you remember something. Something that happend, during this battle. Something that will happen... or maybe already happend. You feel this is important and connected to your current situation. It may be a key to that everything.

Your vision become clearer and clearer... you notice that people start pointing at you, some of them run at you... no, they charge. You must think, fast!

But what is it?

A - There was a plan. Plan failed. And along with it, everything.

B - Betrayal. Betrayal that came from most unexpected side. Blade embedded into someone chest.

C - Bad luck. Chuckle of fate. Wrong move, a pure coincidence.

D - Knowledge. Somebody knew too much. About that what would happend.

E - Power. More power. They needed more power.

F - Everything was doomed from beginning. They knew. They just needed someone to take the blame.

G - Weapon. They used weapon that damaged both sides. Everyone.

H - No! You shall not die today, not by hand of those people. Not because of some thought. You will charge! You will protect yourself! YOU SHALL SURVIVE!

Last edited:

wjw

Augur
G. I am pretty sure we are the weapon that evaporates both sides. Its the only possible reason why they are all running towards us. Lets go bOOm.

Kipeci

Arcane
CHARGE!

We don't know anything about what's going on, but that's nothing a good few lumps on the head won't cure.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
I'm trying to correct text at least a bit, I'm in middle of it. Just saying, if you wonder why some of text may change. Nothing important, just making it more clear and correcting my mistakes.

wjw

Augur
After some more thinking. They should actually run away from us, if we are the weapon. Maybe they dont realize it yet. We'll see.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
By the way - I want to say that every option except cHarge means that you will rather focus on that thought, not on people that are charging at you.

Is this good idea? Well... There is only one way to find out.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Somewhere - Hill above battlefield

Group of people charging at you number around ten, maybe fifteen people. You can see that they are well armed - few of them carry spears and shields, rest of them have swords. One of them casts some kind of spell, as soon as you are within range of his magic. You see how another two stops and aim at you... Fuck! - you curse in your thoughts, as you ducks behind rock. Bolts fly few fingers above your head.

You look around, trying to find something that you could use as weapon. Only stones and rotten wood, damn it. You pick one of stones in one hand and some sand in another... maybe you can blind one of them with it. You also look at other direction, only to find out that battle rages everywhere around hill. Finally, one of soldiers emerges from behind rock.

You pounce at him, from your hiding place. He was stupid enough to overtake his comrades, as they are still at least fifty steps away. He moans when he land on the ground, but he doesn't drop his spear. You throw sand right into gap in his helmet and kick him in the face, trying to pull spear out his hand. You manage to do it, as he try to hit you with his shield, but he can't do much when you crush his chest with your leg and keep kicking him. Finally, you roll away form him, with spear in your hands and stand up.

You do it in right time, as his companions are now few steps to you. All of them, even wizard, wear some kind of armor - spearman and swordsman wear simple scale armours, wizard some sort of hauberk... you have only simple clothes. You don't think you can kill them all... but even if you will die, you are taking some of those bastards with you. You manage to parry first few swordsman attack and repay him with stab. You manage to pierce his armor and he looks at spear embbed into his body before you pull it out.

You try to parry or dodge next attacks and you manage to do it, at least for a while. And then, one of spearman impales you on his spear. You gasps as it penetrate your body, when you feel how it slide on your spine and come out on the other side of your body. And then, you realize - you don't feel any pain. Quickly looking down, you find out that not ever drop of blood come out. And then, you smile to shocked soldier, as you push and finally, you manage to grab sword, worn by him in scabbard on his belt.

You slash, aiming at his throat. Head fly into air and lands somewhere behind line of other soldiers. They look at you, cursing and screaming to each other, as you push spear deeper into your wound, to get rid of it. Wizard start to sing some kind of spell, as you quickly turn to him and charge. Another brave fool blocks your way. He try to slash you, but you only laughs when blade reach your body and stab him, aiming into gap on helmet. You hear only wet sound as your blade get into his skull, through eyeball.

Then, something different happends. Above your position, something flash and portal appear. At first, only one. Then another. And another. You see people coming out and suddenly, you feel happiness and hope. First few people coming out of portals quickly slaughter rest of your enemies. Some of them salutes to you and says something, but you can't hear them. You feel how you lose control of your body, how you scream words that aren't yours. You turn around, to battle around you. You rise your sword and point it at two armies, slaughtering each other. And then, you charge, with everyone around you.

You take your hands of shard, just before it crumbles, releasing fountain of colors. Bands of energy dance around, as you gasps. You remember it now. At least, part of it. Those people standing, together. Charging at two armies, with your own forces. Your own... death? Are you dead? Did you died during that battle? Or maybe it is only a dream? Or twisted memory?

Suddenly, bands of energy strike at your body, but those don't harm you. No, you feel stronger. Some of your strength came back. You look around, trying to find another shard. You stand firmly on your legs, smiling. As you walk to next shard, you feel much better then before. You touch it...

***​

People standing everywhere around are talking about something you can't understand. Or maybe, you don't hear their words. Or you can't hear them. But you know that you must speak to them, about something. You open your mouth and say something, but everybody ignores you. Trying to push your way to one of podiums, but they simply push you back...

Flustrated, you sit on the ground... why you are so small? Why nobody listen to you? Maybe... maybe you just need something? You look around, trying to find anything that would help you... and then something strikes you. You open your mouth, ready to speak about something that you had. Something important.

In the past, you had something. Powerful. Important. Precious. What it was? (Pick only one)

A - "I had Tounge so I could be understood and understand others. I spoke and they understood. I listened and I understood. My words and their were same."

B - "I had Mouth so I could make them smile, when I wanted. Cry, when I needed it. They were ready to give me their souls and lives. For my one smile."

C - "I had Mind so they never could broke my will. They could break my body and my heart, but my mind was locked for them."

D - "I had Body so they never could kill me. They burned me, they make me drown, they stabbed me, they broke my bones. But I always came back."

E - "I had a Weapon that only I could wield. Many tried to stole it, many tried to carry it. They rest in their graves. It listen only to me."

F - "I had a Friend that would never betray me. I could trust him with my soul, my woman, my gold and my house. And he never failed."

G - "I had an Servant that obeyed only me. He live to serve, he belong to me. Waiting for me, somewhere."

H - "I had Home, where I could always feel safe. My paradise, my kingdom, my fortress... it still is there... it must be."

I - "I had a Power. My spells crushed my enemies, my words changed reality. My own soul shivered whenever I was angry."

J - "I had my Name. And it was everything I ever needed."

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
Not sure if this is supposed to be something that we still have or that's gone? Whatever it is, D seems to line up most with what we saw just now so I think I'll go with that.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Not sure if this is supposed to be something that we still have or that's gone? Whatever it is, D seems to line up most with what we saw just now so I think I'll go with that.

Oh, I think that whatever you say/choose, you had it. As for now, it is difficult to say if you still have it. But you are sure that it still is somewhere. Everything that you may pick still exist.

Oh and don't rely on images too much. After all, everything is possible in dreams... If those are dreams, of course.

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Closing votes. You have chosen The Body as your Gift. Use it well.

This time update is a bit shorter then before, sorry bout that, but I promise to repay you with next.

Somewhere
- The Plaza of Voices

When you speak again, your voice sounds different. This time, you think that you hear your voice. It sound almost... unfamiliar, younger then it should be. You realize that it indeed is your voice. Or rather, was.

Voice of child is silent at first, but with each word it becomes louder and louder. People start to look at you and listen. Few shadows, standing at podiums suddenly fall silent. You feel their cold glance...

"I had Body so they never could kill me. They burned me, they make me drown, they stabbed me, they broke my bones. But I always came back." you speak, as almost everyone on plaza falls silent. "I knew nature of my Gift. Whenever I tasted my own blood, I knew I was alive. Can you say same about yourself? Can you?!"

Few hostile whispers. You see hostilty in their eyes, but you know reason for that. You speak about truth. They hate truth... who are those people? Those shadows? You push your own thoughts a bit further and suddenly, you remember this place.

The Plaza of Voices. Place older then you, older then your Gift, older then anything you knew in that city - which city? What are you thinking about? You don't remember anything about city. Except that it still is, somewhere.

As you look around, few shadows move in crowd. They get closer and closer, but you stay still. You know what is coming for you. You smile, when their blades tear your body. When they grab you and pull you between them, beating and kicking you. Finally, they carry you through places you don't remember and throw you at pile of trash. They leave you to your death. But you already know that it won't come, at least not today.

When you open your eyes, sky above you moves with great speed. Sun passes so fast that it you see bright line instead of it. Stars appear and disappear when you blink... it is impossible, isn't it? Nobody would survive that much. You know that even with your Gift, you would die. Then what is happening? If those aren't memories... where you are? Why you don't remember anything else?

When you blink, you now stand on the Plaza again. A group of soldiers is standing next to you, waiting for your order. The shadows shiver under your gaze. You came back. To decide, what to do with them. About their fate.

But what you did to them?

A - You came here for your revenge, for that what they did to you. It wasn't like you remember, you know that. But they did something to you, something terrible and harmful. Something you can't and don't intend to forgive. The Plaza will fall silent, forever.

B - They don't understand. They never did. But you don't blame them, you would do the same. You shall teach them and they will follow you. They will listen and know. Their Voices will speak of you, as noble man, not murderer.

C - Weak, disgusting creatures... they fear whatever is different and they lick boots of whoever is more powerful then them. But they may prove useful. You could use them on your own and make it stay like this. They can be your Voices!

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I'm split between A and B. On the one hand, their leaving us for dead in the trash is a pretty obnoxious sort of thing that deserves some sort of punishment, but I don't think that slaughtering them really gets us anything aside from assurance that they won't do it in the future? We already apparently have the might to ensure that, though.

I guess I'll have mercy and go with B. They don't really deserve it, but we could potentially use them for something (not sure what they bring to the table to be honest) out of this and it's possibly more reliable than C in which we'll definitely be hated by them and they might ditch us for... um... something? 'They lick the boots of whoever is more powerful than them' doesn't inspire too much confidence if we become not quite the most powerful one around and we're still relying on them.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Kipeci Heh, I'm pleasantly surprised that someone already plan something and think about consequences.

I can't say much, at least not now, but you may be surprised by future updates.

Other then that - next update probably will appear tonight. If anyone have some feedback, feel free to use conversations.

And if anyone wonder about it - yes, I'm aware of my mistakes. I work trying to improve those aspects I can, but some of those are... Too much to handle, at least in small amount of time. Mostly those connected to my style and Slav...ishness of it.

wjw

Augur
A. We are a charging - resurrecting - machine now. We are the reaper. We will keep reaping until we meet the shepard.

lightbane

Arcane
Another CYOA, Karwelas? Will you be able to handle so much writing? In any case, it seems fine so far and your writing has definitively improved. Hm, these voices... They are not the Watchers*, are they? Or perhaps they are. No matter.

C. Lalala. The Watchers demand slaves followers to sacrifice/torture/have fun with.

*If you don't get the joke, check The Dark Id's Drakengard LP. You shall learn insanity, and you will learn to embrace it.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
lightbane Heh, I decided to switch Dead Gods to weekly updates with one week of break for now. I think it will be good, both for me and editor.

Heheh, not so much writing - Shattered updates will probably be a little bit longer then now, but I don't plan to write anything that couldn't be written in less then two/three evenings. (One or two longer interludes may happen)

Will do it, it seems fun. I like insanity. VtMB malkavian route is one of my favourite examples of it. Hehehehe.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I don't think this will end well...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom