Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei IV 3DS (beating MaroonSkein to the punch!)

Repressed Homosexual
http://andriasang.com/con173/megaten4_3ds/

Famitsu has some mega Atlus news this week. The magazine reveals that development has started on Shin Megamitensei IV. The target for this latest numbered entry in the franchise is 3DS.

I knew it wasn't realistic to have a next-gen, home console sequel since Microsoft isn't subsidizing Atlus to make a game.

I now expect to pretty much only buy Atlus games for my 3DS save for a select few.

I want a return to a darker theme and an overworld.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I always thought of Strange Journey as SMT4.

Oh well, fantastic news.

I want them to make unique sides to pick, like in Nocturne, as opposed to the typical Law and Chaos sides. (Yes, Chiaki's side resembled Chaos, and Hikawa's resembled Law, but at the same time they were different from the typical factions associated with them.) At the same time though, I'd like there to be serious benefits and consequences to choosing sides, like in the first two games where you would either be refused service or have to bribe your way into opposing temples to get healing.

Project: Eternity
I've been playing the very first SMT for the past several days. Two things:
This game is fucking LONG
and
This game is fucking GRINDY
But I'm still having fun with it, for whatever reason.
I also played SMT: Strange Journey, that game was excellent. I think I'm going to try to get all the way through the entire series before SMT IV. Between this and Etrian Odyssey IV, I'm glad I bought a 3DS.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good Lord are you in for a treat once you reach SMT III: Nocturne. Who else is giddy to see the website?

Repressed Homosexual
and
I also played SMT: Strange Journey, that game was excellent. I think I'm going to try to get all the way through the entire series before SMT IV. Between this and Etrian Odyssey IV, I'm glad I bought a 3DS.

It's good because of the setting, the puzzle solving and the difficult dungeons, but yeah it drags on way too long.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The first SMT is excellent and I probably would prefer it over 2, were it not for two things: a button just for the map being in 2, and the fact that 1 is incredibly glitchy when emulated. I've had my alignment switch from one extreme to the other suddenly, and that Antique Store won't sell weapons if you have the translation patch applied for some reason.

I wish they'd do an English port of the first two...

Condiments

Educated
Good Lord are you in for a treat once you reach SMT III: Nocturne. Who else is giddy to see the website?

Yeah, I just started playing through Nocturne myself. I'm genuinely flabbergasted how good the art direction, music, and general enjoyment of the game is. Coming from Persona 4, its a pretty drastic tonal shift, but in a good way.

I would have preferred a console release for SMT4, but that's only because I don't want to buy one of the goddamn handhelds. Guess this game will make me seriously consider one if it turns out good...

MaroonSkein

Augur
Hmm. Still a bit concerned that the Atlus of today won't be able to do justice to an SMT3 sequel, but I'll hope for it.

and

Grindy? Equip sleeper rounds and you can pretty much autobattle 99% in of the enemies SMT 1/2 including bosses without any demons in your party at all.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fabulous ad picture.
Well. I guess it's time to get a 3DS. For two games. But the way this is looking we'll get more than that.
Ah fuck that-
Getting a PS3 was worth it just for one game alone so two is more than I could ask for!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Digital Devil Saga probably. I'd certainly rate it lower than Nocturne but still consider it a decent dungeon crawl. Go back to your Skyrimjob.

MaroonSkein

Augur
I think it was a Tensei spin-off. Something with Devil or whatever.
It was probably Digital Devil Saga then. The story and character designs are indeed quite dreadful, but the combat gets quite good after the third dungeon or so. Skill combos are a fun mechanic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom