Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ship modules

tiagocc0

Arcane
I'm planning on exposing the math about how modules will affect how ships are made and react to the engine.
I just thought of a easy way to doing it, I can expose one of the qml files, it looks like javascript, then if anyone is interested it will be easy to tweak.

I've planned initially to have 5 values for each component, which may increase over time if necessary, so an engine could have:
Value 1: Speed
Value 2: Turn Speed
Value 3: Jump Speed
Value 4: Energy Consumption

And a fixed value that is Weight.

So in the QML we could have something like this:

if (smallShip) ShipConstant = 6
if (mediumShip) ShipConstant = 4
if (largeShip) ShipConstant = 2
if (hugeShip) ShipConstant = 1
SpeedInHex = ( Speed * ShipConstant ) / Weight
EnergyConsumed = Distance * EnergyConsumption

Things like that.

Shemar

Educated
Two suggestions:

1. Don't hard separate straight line speed with turning by default. I would do it like this (example):
Total engine capability: 8
Max capability assigned to straught line per turn: 6
Max Capability assigned to turning per turn: 4

So I can move 6 and turn two or move 4 and turn 4 or anythig in between. Adds more tactical options and also one more factor in engine usefulness, flexibility, that makes designing engines less predictable and less linear.

2. Don't have fixed ship sizes but rather have ships be the sum of their components (make ship component sizes include the size required for their crews, spare parts etc). That way players will not be tempted to cram every hull with all it would fit, as that would reduce the capabilities of their engines or make them add more engines etc.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Shemar said:
Two suggestions:

1. Don't hard separate straight line speed with turning by default. I would do it like this (example):
Total engine capability: 8
Max capability assigned to straught line per turn: 6
Max Capability assigned to turning per turn: 4

So I can move 6 and turn two or move 4 and turn 4 or anythig in between. Adds more tactical options and also one more factor in engine usefulness, flexibility, that makes designing engines less predictable and less linear.

2. Don't have fixed ship sizes but rather have ships be the sum of their components (make ship component sizes include the size required for their crews, spare parts etc). That way players will not be tempted to cram every hull with all it would fit, as that would reduce the capabilities of their engines or make them add more engines etc.

Nice suggestions. The first is great. I've to give a thought about the second one.
So if you've spent 5 components on a ship it would need X crew members and Y hull to be built?

Shemar

Educated
tiagocc0 said:
So if you've spent 5 components on a ship it would need X crew members and Y hull to be built?
Yes, and you caa either come up with some math of how much support mass and crew each componet adds to the ship, or just pre-incude these in the component itself so the ship's mass is the sum of the components mass and the ship's total crew is the total of the componets' crews.

tiagocc0

Arcane
Shemar said:
tiagocc0 said:
Yes, and you caa either come up with some math of how much support mass and crew each componet adds to the ship, or just pre-incude these in the component itself so the ship's mass is the sum of the components mass and the ship's total crew is the total of the componets' crews.

Great idea to pre-include them. I will definitely put this on my to-do list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom