Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Deleted member 11480

-

Last edited by a moderator:

zwanzig_zwoelf

How about you start helping me in destruction and derailing of Eidos forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamoho

Savant
I just procured a copy of diablo 2 and its expansion, is it worth it to go back and play D1 first? I dig the art style.

Last edited:

Misconnected

Savant
I just procured a copy of diablo 2 and its expansions, is it worth it to go back and play D1 first? I dig the art style.

D2 tells the story of D1 better than D1 did, so story-wise you miss nothing by skipping D1.

Gammeplay-wise, D1 hails from the bad old days of minimal animations, terribad framerates & sluggish input. Don't get me wrong, it played incredibly well back in the day. But by today's standards it's slow and janky, and very unlikely to have the "feel" you're looking for in a Diablo-clone.

I'd love to smoke whatever DraQ must be smoking, but since I'm not, I have to say D2 is a vastly superior gameplay experience. Regardless of D1's arguably more interesting Quest system.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I remember Diablo having great atmosphere, but I haven't played it in...15 years‽ Fuck, I'm getting old. Fuck fuck fuck.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Peeeeeee gut idea for a thread, bro. Sometimes you just want a quick opinion without fifty pages of debate on the HD textures.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Diablo sucks donkey cock, go play The Creed instead.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I just procured a copy of diablo 2 and its expansions, is it worth it to go back and play D1 first? I dig the art style.
It's worth to play D1 instead.
This. Diablo had entirely different roots with regards to gamesplay (things like mutually exclusive quests, randomly finding spellbooks, limited resources, etc.) which was what made it so damned good in the first place. All the copycats (including diablo 2) miss out on this shit and suffer for it greatly.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
When wondering what the Codex thinks of a game just remember "everything is shit" and you don't even have to post!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
And how about Man of Prey? It just came out on Steam and
WAIT WHAT

*going on Steam main page*

Howley dewley, you're right! I'm suprsied because english translation was "missed" and only way to get it was buying game as an addon to potato gaming magazine for 3 bucks.
Definitely worth to buy. I play it now and it's great swan song from great devs team
:negative:
Buy it if you like tactical games,
And story is decent, not cheap drama fuel or pseudoart of indie pixel diarrhea, like in modern gaming.
If you ever meet someone who talk about RTwP, and he don't know about these games, you're free to call him moron.

Diablo sucks donkey cock, go play The Creed instead.

And you go play Cold Zero: No Mercy

Last edited:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Diablo 1 has a lot more sinister, evil and dangerous atmosphere, which is cool. Diablo 2 has more enjoyable gameplay, though.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Don't ask for quick opinions on forums, read reviews of games in the main page, they provide better information as they describe games beyond "I like it because it's great!"/"lolol this is popamole shit xDxD xP" written by twats trying to get KKKool points. If a game doesn't have a review, request one, maybe someone will be up to the task.

After all we have a great database that DarkUnderlord works hard to keep up.

Gozma

Arcane
Haven't played either in a long-ass time but IIRC Diablo 1 is more of a roguelike experience that feels like it's "about the dungeon". Diablo 2 is more of a buildfucking thing that's "about your character" that makes me uninstall games

Misconnected

Savant
How's the single player in the Wargame series? I keep hearing great things about the multi but no one mentions the SP, does it even have a campaign?

The games do have single-player campaigns and they aren't terrible or anything. However the meat of the games is constructing your deck and unleashing it on other people.

Don Peste

Arcane
Don't ask for quick opinions on forums, read reviews of games in the main page, they provide better information as they describe games beyond "I like it because it's great!"/"lolol this is popamole shit xDxD xP" written by twats trying to get KKKool points. If a game doesn't have a review, request one, maybe someone will be up to the task.

After all we have a great database that DarkUnderlord works hard to keep up.
Frontpage doesn't exist for me. Why read walls of text from so-called reviewers why I can quickly get the opinion from people I trust here on the forums? A few lines from a few familiar faces are enough for me. In the end, it's easy to distinguish between good opinions and "Everything is shit".

Not trusting the media is what brought me here in the first place. Trust the Codexers, not the Codex.

Also, Free our brothers.

Misconnected

Savant
Dont waste time. Play Torchlight 2 instead. Or even Van Helsing.

Or even better Nox.

If you go janky old-school, Nox would be my recommendation as well. It's a surprisingly good game.

Van Helsing is a very short game, with a thoroughly charming and surprisingly well-realised cast and setting, great looks, and competently done Diablo gameplay. It's also a game made on a shoestring budget, and it's dead cheap. Definitely worth checking out for fans of the genre.

Torchlight 2 isn't a bad game, if I have to try to be honest. But it's one of those games that I think pretty much everyone expected would be better than it is. In my opinion it isn't as good as Van Helsing (though there's a lot ore of it), but it's priced at around 125% of Van Helsing.

Incidentally - and I'm sure I'll get flamed to hell for saying this - Diablo 3 is actually a fantastic game these days. If Diablo-clones are your thing and you've held off on D3, now is the time to jump into it.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's worth to play D1 instead.

This. I played meteorb sorceress to refresh my memories of Diablo 2 and it's still bores me off. Without the map hack to help navigate through I wouldn't even bother. MMO-lite design with Baal runs aren't for me. As for the D1 I have Rebirth mod installed on it and it really kicks ass. On highest difficulty hell is really tough to beat. There are new bosses, many new items and uniqes. Multiplayer works nicely too. There are others mods, like Hell, Awaken, Dark, Middle Earth.

Torchlight 2 is fun, but in multi, when there is a couple of players and they attack at once you will see a rainbow parade on your screen. Sometimes is hard to tell if you are beating someone or not :lol:. Berserker is probably my favourite class.

DraQ

Arcane
D2 tells the story of D1 better than D1 did, so story-wise you miss nothing by skipping D1.
Story-wise you also miss nothing* just watching D2 cutscenes on youtube.
Apart from opportunity to not be the kind of person who plays Diablo for the story.
:gumpyhead:

Gammeplay-wise, D1 hails from the bad old days of minimal animations, terribad framerates & sluggish input.
Gameplay-wise, D1 hails from the good old days when games were meant to be fun, first and foremost.
Instead of, say, repetitive, mind-numbing equivalent of a slot machine.

Besides, days of sluggish input are *now* (just compare, for example TES IV-V to earlier games in the series or pretty much any modern FPS to a decent one from '90s), while animation-wise D1 and 2 don't differ much.

The fundamental difference between D1 and D2 is that D1 is persistent - unless you explicitly restart with the same character you get finite amount of monsters, finite loot and finite XP, meaning that you need to adapt to whatever attacks you and whatever drops out of monsters.
D2, OTOH is essentially WoW-lite, where you can cdeterministically plan out your build and gear before you even start the game, where everything resets, slain monsters, even those whose killing is the very point of everything you do, just pop up back from the dead, loaded with fresh loot and exp every time you start a new session (for example by loading the game).
Another difference is that D2 is *much* easier than 1 (you need to start it in multi and set the number of players higher to have any challenge apart from maybe bosses, but then it simply becomes a bloatfest) - complete with a "get free out of gandbang" card in the form of sprint mode that allows you to engge and disengage at will.
Finally, drop frequency and quality in D2 is noticeably higher in D2, along with the fact that items are more tiered, so while in D1 you rejoiced at the sight of any magical or unique item that dropped in D2 you grow picky because game showers you with (infinite - see above) loot.

Those differences together mean that while D1 is a game about descending into the realm of terror and darkness to stop primordial evil, D2 is one about regularly dropping by that primordial evil's place every Tuesday to beat him up for his lunch money phat lewt.

Correspondingly, D1 oozes atmosphere while apart from a handful of locations D2 has none.
It doesn't help that while D1 adhered rather closely to the quasi medieval European stylization sprinkled with a healthy dose of Manicheism, D2 goes full retard with barbarians, magical swamp injuns (that are also Vatican, apparently), ents and desert dwelling catgirls, effectively turning into derpy fantasy kitchensink.

What D2 does do better than D1 is raw item mechanics (more armor pieces, more types of everything, more modifiers, sets, sockets, etc.) and cutscenes, but the former alone does not a good game make, while the latter you can watch on YT.

I'd love to smoke whatever DraQ must be smoking
You'd first need to lay off whatever you do, bro.
+M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom