Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Dont waste time. Play Torchlight 2 instead. Or even Van Helsing.

Or even better Nox.

If you go janky old-school, Nox would be my recommendation as well. It's a surprisingly good game.

Van Helsing is a very short game, with a thoroughly charming and surprisingly well-realised cast and setting, great looks, and competently done Diablo gameplay. It's also a game made on a shoestring budget, and it's dead cheap. Definitely worth checking out for fans of the genre.

Torchlight 2 isn't a bad game, if I have to try to be honest. But it's one of those games that I think pretty much everyone expected would be better than it is. In my opinion it isn't as good as Van Helsing (though there's a lot ore of it), but it's priced at around 125% of Van Helsing.

Incidentally - and I'm sure I'll get flamed to hell for saying this - Diablo 3 is actually a fantastic game these days. If Diablo-clones are your thing and you've held off on D3, now is the time to jump into it.
About pricing..lawl. Jew in you is stronk. You must be Infinitrons cousin or something.
Paying full price for games that dont deliver but counting them shekels on games that are cheap from the get go.

I tried Diablo 3 Starter edition and it kicked me out twice from the game cause it thinks I wasnt connected to internet.
Well worth its full price fo sho. :roll:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Gammeplay-wise, D1 hails from the bad old days of minimal animations, terribad framerates & sluggish input. Don't get me wrong, it played incredibly well back in the day. But by today's standards it's slow and janky, and very unlikely to have the "feel" you're looking for in a Diablo-clone.
You meant the "feel" of a Diablo2-clone? There aren't a lot of Diablo 1 clones and quite a lot of Diablo 2 clones, one looking even less interesting than the previous one. Well D1 had a totally different focus than D2, I really think that both games don't have much in common. D1 was made as a rogue like that later, Blizzard had to dumb down because of fear of it not selling so the combat is in real time, the difficulty reduced and other changes but it still keeps some good influence from rogue likes. D1 was primarily a single player game while D2 was made taking multiplayer as the main focus since day one, so you have grinding, asperging for items with bigger numbers and all the pointless multiplayer timewaster shenanigans.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Let's drop Diablo shit. I want KKK on these games:

Boiling point 1 and 2.

E.Y.E

Hitman Series

Strider 2014

Star Ocean 2

Castlevania Mirror of Fate

TIA

TripJack

Hedonist
Hitman Series
First is awesome, second is way worse, third is like a compilation of 'best' missions in first and second, didn't play other games since I didn't beat those.
lol no the first is most definitely not awesome and the second is most definitely not worse

for someone new to Hitman go with Hitman 4 and forget the rest, if you want moar after Blood Money try Death to Spies

zwanzig_zwoelf

Hitman Series
First is awesome, second is way worse, third is like a compilation of 'best' missions in first and second, didn't play other games since I didn't beat those.
lol no the first is most definitely not awesome and the second is most definitely not worse

for someone new to Hitman go with Hitman 4 and then Death to Spies, forget the rest
Now elaborate, plox, I'd like to know why the first one is not awesome.
inb4 Jungle mission caused too much butthurt.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Hitman Series
Only played the first one, which I guess many consider the best, and it was fun. It's a hard game, mostly because there was only one save slot for each mission. While you could continue the mission after being killed/detected it usually wan't worth it and had to restart.

Some of the missions can be completed in a couple of tries, other took me more than a dozen attempts. I liked it because it forced the player to plan and pick his fights. You also don't get any health power-ups.

TripJack

Hedonist

for someone new to Hitman go with Hitman 4 and then Death to Spies, forget the rest
Now elaborate, plox, I'd like to know why the first one is so awful.
the colombia mission did indeed cause much butthurt bro, retardo shoot-em-up levels don't work at all in hitman...

didn't help that the non-retardo levels weren't that great either, anyone playing hitman 1 can pretty much stop playing after the last hong kong mission (i.e. 2 hours in) as that's the high point of the game by far

Have any of you guys played Space Station 13? What do you think of it?
Either the most amazing thing ever or a complete fucking waste of time depending on the round.
exactly so, and since in my experience the latter is much more common i would advise you not to bother with ss13

Last edited:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Warzone 2100. Nice RTS with dozens of unit models to choose

Battle for Wesnoth.

Severance: Blade of Darkness (mods too)

Sonic games.

Resident Evil 6 - Fun linear action game, finished 3 campaigns

Mafia 2

Fear series.

Project Eden.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet - made me go butthurt

Aquaria

Alone in the Dark 2007

Stranglehold

Adventure Island

Metal Slug Series

TIA again

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

Now elaborate, plox, I'd like to know why the first one is so awful.
the colombia mission did indeed cause much butthurt bro, retardo shoot-em-up levels don't work at all in hitman...

didn't help that the non-retardo levels weren't that great either, anyone playing hitman 1 can pretty much stop playing after the last hong kong mission (i.e. 2 hours in) as that's the high point of the game by far
My favorite mission was the hotel since it focused on stealth, planning and it offered multiple solutions to its objectives. My least favorite one was the last one on the docks.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Go fucking play it, it's worth every penny of it's price.

I concur. It has great atmosphere (deus ex+horror like), interesting skills and powers and it's very fun in coop. Not so much in PvP. There's a thread about the game, go read it if you want.

Topher

Cipher
Metal Slug is fantastic, they're all a blast to some degree and while some are better than others they're all short so there's no loss from playing them all.

AitD 2007 was bad, all around, but interesting enough and I enjoyed it in a bad game kind of way. Play it up until the open-ended park, about 2/3rd's, then just walk the fuck away.

I remember liking Blade of Darkness quite a bit when I was young so I'd say it's worth trying out. I liked the different starts for different characters.

Wesnoth is simple but fun, mostly like Fire Emblem on gameboy, at least mechanically. You can name units and carry them between missions which is solid and there is a lot of content.

Stranglehold was solid enough. I played it twice, which was enough for me. It's simple and straightforward, fun.

Sonic, play the old ones, skip the rest.

Don Peste

Arcane
What about Vice City? It looks a bit poor comparing to Saint's Row (1&2), Sleeping Dogs or GTAIV.
And StarCraft 2?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Let's drop Diablo shit. I want KKK on these games:

Boiling point 1 and 2.
There was two Boiling Points? Or by BP2 you mean Xenus2: White Gold?

Anyway - you got hueg map, groups to cooperate and freedom. Starting character is pretty weak, it's nonsense but not for scheme "from zero to hero".
I played more in Xenus2: White Gold because pearl hunting (and then looking for someone who give me more moniez) was fun.
Play if you like freedom, you got plenty of free time, no backlog on your back.
Mind that all Deep Shadow's games need some tweaks (BP to kick out bloom, X2:WG to fix flickening and Precursors to fix audio&voices)

The fuck is that?

Severance: Blade of Darkness
beasty TPP slasher game, great shadows play yet combat become less interesing if you just spam combos. Play as a barbarian or choose amazon for easy/dwarf for Hard.

Project Eden
Nice game, you could give a try. Team of 4 people (politically correct from 2003, lel - average white male, asian chick, big nigga and Robocop Roguey), penetrating underhivecity is interesting, not remember much but you do other things than constant shooting mutants.

FEAR series

First one have good AI, gunfight and it's not horror, as everyone tried to say.
Sequels suck balls. Also not horror as earlier one.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Battle for Wesnoth
Great game, full of custom campaigns to download. Think of it as the NWN of tactical games. Has a somewhat annoyng RNG, but not as bad as people say. Units level up, change classes and carry on to the next map, so you can drive yourself to a dead-end.

Severance: Blade of Darkness (mods too)
PS1-era Dark Souls. Amazing game, although it has dated a bit.

Sonic games.
Sonic Generations is the only one worthwhile since Sonic & Knuckles. Has some cool mods to add levels from other games.

Resident Evil 6 - Fun linear action game, finished 3 campaigns
Either play it on co-op, or don't play it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What about Vice City? It looks a bit poor comparing to Saint's Row (1&2), Sleeping Dogs or GTAIV.
I didn't like it as much as SA, but it's still worth a playthrough if you're a fan of the GTA games.

And StarCraft 2?
The campaign maps are actually pretty fun, at least for a single playthrough. Every mission has some kind of gimmick and there are a few interesting mechanics like upgrades, and a few places where you can choose to help one side or another. I'm told the multiplayer is fun but I'm godawful at RTS games so I couldn't say (I mainly bought it to play the campaign and custom maps).

Custom map support is unfortunately shit, so don't count on that adding value like it did to Warcraft 3. The campaign's story is also completely shit, full of easy to notice plot holes, pacing issues, c-grade hack Hollywood writing, and what should be a surprise plot twist is spoiled in the opening cutscene. Plus the entire Raynor/Kerrigan romance angle is stupid and pretty much comes out of nowhere. HotS's campaign is somehow even worse.

TedNugent

Arcane
What does the Codex think about Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam! Gaiden?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Quake 4 is not necessarily bad, but it's barely alright at best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom