Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

~

• Thread starter Deleted member 11480
  • Start date

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Avoid Unreal 2 like a fukin' plague
Save yourself
Srsly- it's prime example of franchise rape. Dull'n'boring.

And yeah, Quake4 is worth trying, like most (all?) Raven Software production. Multiplayer was almost clone of Q3, pity it's dead.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
What's the general Konsensus on Red Faction series?
The first one was okay but had quite a bit of untapped potential with the environmental destruction, second one was crap, Red Faction: Gorilla was decent popamole fun and Armageddon was bad.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Hey guys, what's the general Konsensus on Unreal 2 and Quake 4? I plan on getting both franchises eventually but I'm not really interested in the entries that are predominantly considered shit. I have played U1, Q1 and 2 and I love these games, so just wanted to know if these sequels are worth the library slot or not.

Funny thing is that, to be honest, I've never heard of Quake 4 until very recently. I always thought this series ended with 3.

I'm going to counter the Dex's hateful opinion and say i actually like those two games. They both have redeeming factors for me, which makes me believe they're worth playing. Both games, however, are very different from the series they come from, and should be played with that in mind. Don't expect a fast-paced run and gun with flak cannons/rockets, because that's not what you're going to get. Both games have slower (even a bit clunkier) gameplay than their predecessors, and go for a bit more of "Battlefield" esque shooter style. I personally dislike this, as Quake2/UT are some of my personal favorites, but still. Those games have good sides too!

Unreal 2 explains a little bit more about the lore (before UT2003/UT3 completely shat on everything lore-related) and the universe, which honestly isn't that bad. The weapons you find, although not what you would expect from an Unreal game, are all pretty creative and versatile: There's a grenade launcher that fires 6 different types of ammo, each specialized for an enemy type/environment... There's a railgun (!) with a continuous beam alt fire, there's a Sniper Rifle with the most ridiculous zoom you'll ever find in any game, wind calculation included (and you get to use all of its range during the game)... There's even this alien sphere thingy that orbits you and deflects projectiles. Okay, okay, i know you were expecting Flak Cannons and bio Rifles, but this isn't so bad is it? It's also a more story-driven game - less exploration (as in Unreal 1) and less fast-paced combat (as in UT), but more focus on the plot. The characters are somewhat likeable (not a masterpiece but it's okay)... Yeah. Unreal 2 is good. It's not what you would expect from the Unreal series, but i think it's worth trying out. It's one of those "What if: Unreal was made by a completely different company" you know? It's not perfect, i know. I never said it's a 10/10 game. But i think it's worth trying it out. Just because of the "tower defense" esque missions. I fucking loved those. (Draq throwing a tantrum because i have a different opinion in 3...2...1)

Quake 4 went for a more Doom 3 gameplay and less Quake 2. That's not necessarily good or bad, just different. The art design is sweet, the Strogg look badass as fuck, and during the story there's this one thing that happens that honestly... makes the game for me. Can't say what it is though, its a spoiler. It's not a remarkably bad game, but not remarkably good either. Just... okay i guess?

Both of those games are the "black sheep" of their franchises and generally hated by the community. But if you open your mind a bit, you can have fun with both. Just lower your expectations, shrug and try it out for yourself. Post your opinions when you do!

Edit: A Tl;DR: Quake 4 and Unreal 2 are not as good as the rest of the series, and they're quite different. Try them if you're open minded.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Cool first game (with great multiplayer, sadly dead even with PureFaction mod), second is garbage result of PS2 era FPS games, Gorilla is cool if you like to destroy shit and Armageddon... is not for everyone. I liked shooting here, weapons but vast opinion is not warm about it.

If you see desctruction model in RF then you understand why some people laugh at pathetic hype on Levolution in BF4. Years passed and nothing happen.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted

Cool first game (with great multiplayer, sadly dead even with PureFaction mod)
I never had the chance of trying out the multiplayer while there was an active community still around, I take it that the multiplayer levels utilized the strengths of the engine better than the singelplayer part that was something of a letdown after the hype surrounding the game's destructibility. Was there game modes that especially took advantage of the geo deformation and if so how? or was it just regular deathmatch maps with the added freedom of digging around the enemies spawn, creating firing holes, destroying cover and such?

DraQ

Arcane
I've only played RF1.

A good game, although reliance on scripting and thus pre-determined progression paths within levels undermines the impact of envirnomnetal interactivity in SP and reduces it to a gimmick (albeit still a cool one).

I take it that the multiplayer levels utilized the strengths of the engine better than the singelplayer part that was something of a letdown after the hype surrounding the game's destructibility.
Yes.

or was it just regular deathmatch maps with the added freedom of digging around the enemies spawn, creating firing holes, destroying cover and such?
Blowing through the walls, man. A lot of DM maps featured a good amount of relatively thin geometry.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Hey guys, what's the general Konsensus on Unreal 2 and Quake 4? .
Both good and fun games. People hate Unreal 2 because it's not a carbon copy of Unreal 1. Typical fanboys.

What's the verdict on Anno 1701/1404? They have long term appeal?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I take it that the multiplayer levels utilized the strengths of the engine better than the singelplayer part that was something of a letdown after the hype surrounding the game's destructibility. Was there game modes that especially took advantage of the geo deformation and if so how? or was it just regular deathmatch maps with the added freedom of digging around the enemies spawn, creating firing holes, destroying cover and such?
Not really imho. Destruction was allowed on a lot of surfaces, but only for a certain amount of time. I'm not sure if it could be changed, but because of the technology available in 2001, the destruction just stopped working after enough people had done enough damage to the level. After, say, a minute or two of throwing bombs around, you couldn't do any more damage.

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
I take it that the multiplayer levels utilized the strengths of the engine better than the singelplayer part that was something of a letdown after the hype surrounding the game's destructibility. Was there game modes that especially took advantage of the geo deformation and if so how? or was it just regular deathmatch maps with the added freedom of digging around the enemies spawn, creating firing holes, destroying cover and such?
Not really imho. Destruction was allowed on a lot of surfaces, but only for a certain amount of time. I'm not sure if it could be changed, but because of the technology available in 2001, the destruction just stopped working after enough people had done enough damage to the level. After, say, a minute or two of throwing bombs around, you couldn't do any more damage.
Shame, because it was such a cool concept just brimming with potential. In singleplayer I remember being able to do crazy amounts of tunnelling (or so I thought so at the time maybe I was just young and easily impressionable back then) but it makes sense that they would have to tone it down for the multiplayer or just that more players means that you'd hit the limit sooner. The AI and level design in general in the singleplayer part of the game didn't make much real use of it either IIRC, though I still remember how impressed I was the first time I shoot down a rock bridge with a rocket launcher and see the enemies drop down with it, back then it almost seemed like the tech would become another standard for video games yet it never did. Oh well.

DraQ

Arcane
Unreal 2 explains a little bit more about the lore
The problem with lore is that it's only worth as much as what it pertains to, and pretty much none of U2 lore is particularly relevant to Unreal 1 (which was good), but all of it is relevant to Unreal 2 (which is shit).

The only thing U2 may possibly explain is why U2 skaarj sluggishly run at you to be gunned down (they want to die), and why Unreal 1 Skaarj don't seem particularly fazed in the face of overwhelming flak cannon after you had already killed a lot of them later in game in Unreal 1 (they're more concerned with not becoming skaarj from Unreal 2, than with you tearing them around thirty new assholes, simultaneously, in all parts of their body).

The weapons you find, although not what you would expect from an Unreal game, are all pretty creative and versatile
I can concede about the weapons (with the exception of massively braindamaging gun shooting electrified semen spiders), they are mostly pretty ok to cool. Ok, shotgun is somewhat underwhelming and sniper rifle has idiotic scope.

You know what? I can also concede that it has some nifty and diverse environment design (not actual levels!), so that the list of all two game's upsides can be exhaustive.

There's a railgun (!)
I prefer calling it "Matrix ripoff gun", as it's more descriptive, but other than that it's ok.

Sniper Rifle with the most ridiculous zoom you'll ever find in any game
Have you played MDK?

It's also a more story-driven game
Which makes the story being bland and derpy all the more crippling flaw.

less exploration (as in Unreal 1)
Not just as in Unreal. If it had any less exploration, it would have to replace standard movement controls with fast forward and rewind.

The characters are somewhat likeable (not a masterpiece but it's okay)
Only applies to constantly smoking cripple mechanic to any measurable extent. The remaining characters are pair of boobs on two legs and blue fluorescent blob in a mechanized suit that tries (but fails) to be comic relief.

... Yeah. Unreal 2 is good.
Nope.

It's not what you would expect from the Unreal series
Definitely.

but i think it's worth trying out.
Yes. (You do apparently think that, alas.)

It's one of those "What if: Unreal was made by a completely different company" you know?
...and, like, wasn't Unreal at all.

It's not perfect, i know.
Me too.
I never said it's a 10/10 game.
Me neither.

But i think it's worth trying it out.
Especially when you're convinced it would be good for you if you committed suicide, but can't really put your heart behind such decision for some reason.

Just because of the "tower defense" esque missions. I fucking loved those.
Yeah, as if there were not enough tower defense games on fucking cellphones already.

(Draq throwing a tantrum because i have a different opinion in 3...2...1)
All systems ready.
"It is good day to die."
atomic-bomb-blast-explosion-trollface-troll-face.gif

Both of those games are the "black sheep" of their franchises and generally hated by the community. But if you open your mind a bit, you can have fun with both. Just lower your expectations, shrug and try it out for yourself.
And your anus. You also need to open your anus, relax and try to enjoy the experience.

Though, TBH I have no opinion on Q4. Main reason is that I haven't played it seeing it was essentially a Q2 rehash, and Q2 pretty much sucked.
It's perfectly possible that it was a far superior game to Q2 (if only because Q2 was sucky to mediocre, at least in SP).

Cadmus

Arcane
What do you guys think about Rune?

It's a Blade of Darkness lite as far as I remember. Pretty fun but actiony and the floaty movement made the combat a bit annoying for me.

Hitmans: 1 is quite hard and the most unique, it's the sort of love/hate kind of game. The rest are each better than the previous one but all amazing. Absolution is an abomination.

Van Helsing is the most bland and boring piece of cockshit I've played in a long time.

Quake 4 is a polished and well done generic sci-fi shooter. It's good but sorta unexciting for a Quake game. The MP I didn't play much, it looked unfinished and boring.

Blade of Darkness is one of a kind TPP slasher with awesome combat mechanics, a must play imo. It's also bugged like fuck.

Vice City is probably the most stylish game of all the GTAs and really fun imo. It's much smaller than GTA: Niggers though.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I tried Blade of Darkness but the way it read my mouse input was totally fucked, and also I couldn't strafe. Are there fixes for these?

Cadmus

Arcane
You strafe only when you've locked onto a target in a combat, if I remember correctly. About the mouse, I don't know what's the problem so no idea. I think it worked fine for me.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
You strafe only when you've locked onto a target in a combat, if I remember correctly.
Oh nice, that is acceptable imho. I don't think I got beyond the tutorial because I couldn't look around properly (iirc the camera just kept stopping or going slower), so I didn't get the chance to try locking on stuff.

Cadmus

Arcane
You strafe only when you've locked onto a target in a combat, if I remember correctly.
Oh nice, that is acceptable imho. I don't think I got beyond the tutorial because I couldn't look around properly (iirc the camera just kept stopping or going slower), so I didn't get the chance to try locking on stuff.
I think I remember the camera being a little bit weird. I recommend the Knight because his starting mission is awesome and atmospheric and he gets the best of both worlds, some mobility and some damage and nice armors. I think the mouse being weird is somehow because of the combat, where it fits great for some reason.
I really like how this game is imbalanced and different characters have different difficulties in some places and play completely differently.

Cazzeris

What does the Codex think about Divine Divinity, Divinity II and Beyond Divinity?

Cadmus

Arcane
Divine Divinity is cool, do not confuse with Diablo, Divinity II is cool. Haven't played Beyond I think it's considered shit.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you have a shitload of free time its worth the purchase. I liked Div2 most, Beyond Div was boring imo, didnt play it more than 3-4 hours or so.
Older Div is updated with support for modern resolutions so it should run p good on a modern system.

stabby

Learned
Older Div is updated with support for modern resolutions so it should run p good on a modern system.

True, but you might also need to track down the old config.exe to be able to switch the renderer (Direct3D, DirectDraw, etc) as the new one only selects the resolution, so glitches & crashes can happen due to that.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think I remember the camera being a little bit weird. I recommend the Knight because his starting mission is awesome and atmospheric and he gets the best of both worlds, some mobility and some damage and nice armors. I think the mouse being weird is somehow because of the combat, where it fits great for some reason.
I really like how this game is imbalanced and different characters have different difficulties in some places and play completely differently.
Oh, I'm not talking about a little bit weird. It's definitely a bug and I'll look into fixing it eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom