Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

should inXile finally create their own unique IP, god damn, and if so what

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They need to go cyberpunk or horror, or both, preferably horror. I need something WoDlike in my life please Fargo.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Absolutely they should. You can only remake old fossils for so long, I' think going with Bard was already a mistake really, as this might have been their last chance to build a solid new IP with a lot of funding and go from there.

Trip

Learned
Well, it's based on the character and resolution system, too. The general style is there, the themes of exploring inexplicable stuff, the, well, numenera. Which doesn't mean the name isn't a hilarious hodge-podge of a piece of nostalgia-bait, a core mechanic and the name of the IP.

Still, I do think they should try their hand at something of their own. I haven't seen a truly science-fictional RPG in, um, never, I guess. On the other hand, with that funding strategy they'll be playing it relatively safe for a couple of more games, I'd say.

Trip

Learned
I'd rather see an Eclipse Phase RPG, or Burning Empires.

polo

Magister
Stop asking for TB sci fi, they've already failed at that.

polo

Magister
So a space opera, or space western. I don't see why would they succed at doing one of those.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Anything, ANYTHING but more fucking boring generic fantasy shit would be welcome from inXile. I am so fucking sick of Fantasy shit. Something Space Opera like would be cool from them. But to be honest, VD's Dropship game sounds really fucking cool. If they could come up with something equally interesting.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Lock Avellone in a room, ocassionally give him booze, charlie, laudanum and whores, then let him go wild. Make the game he writes.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anything, ANYTHING but more fucking boring generic fantasy shit would be welcome from inXile. I am so fucking sick of Fantasy shit. Something Space Opera like would be cool from them. But to be honest, VD's Dropship game sounds really fucking cool. If they could come up with something equally interesting.

Now that I think of it, it would've been cool if they had gone with sci-fi(-ish) for BT 4, instead of the generic boring Scotland folk theme.

They could've even cited such classics as Wizardry, Might and Magic, and Age of Decadence in support of that kind of move. :P

Trip

Learned
Which is a problem, it would seem (reverse animorphs I mean)?

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd really love some classic isometric D&D game in the spirit od BG2 or NWN2 with loads of c&c.

Alternatively I'm alsways in for some (preferrably 3rd person) Cyberpunk RPG; - with loads of c&c.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

That's the thing. I think the genre ("fantasy") has hit its rock bottom, in terms of creativity and exploitation. Nothing that was both innovative AND interesting has been released in years, decades perhaps, across all the media (books/movies/games/tabletop), and so much of the existing stuff, even the good ones, can be written off as "Tolkien copypaste" (yeah, yeah, which in turn could be written off as Eurofolklore copypaste, which in turn could be written off as bla bla bla). For example, I really liked the world created and narrated by Sapkowpotato, until he went full derp with sorceresses and teenage lesbian empowered heroines. It was such a nice, sorta low-key fantasy, more like folklore than anything, and then Sappy went full-retard.

My recent foray into the realm of space opera literature proved somewhat disappointing, too: again, there is not much "worthy" material out there, and the rarest thing to find is the holy Grail of combos, namely "interesting universe"+"well written". The picture gets bleaker and sadder as we move away from a few decades ago and closer to nowadays.

As mentioned before, I do concur that being delivered more generic banalshitboring high fantasy pulp would be all but welcome, both in literature and videogames (movies, I've given up entirely). Good Lord, we've come to the point where we're living right at the peak of the Golden Age of Fantaxploitation, and it's just overkill (*cue stereotypical Blaxploitation bassline*).

Trip

Learned
My recent foray into the realm of space opera literature proved somewhat disappointing, too: again, there is not much "worthy" material out there, and the rarest thing to find is the holy Grail of combos, namely "interesting universe"+"well written". The picture gets bleaker and sadder as we move away from a few decades ago and closer to nowadays.

I actually think there's a number of great writers working now in the genre, or until recently. Mcauley, Reynolds, Benford, Banks (R.I.P., one of the best of the bunch), Ann Leckie, David Brin, Scalzi (though he's more commercial), Peter Watts, Kim Stanley Robinson. And those are just off the top of my head.

I can't comprehend how RPG writers can have that at their fingertips, in terms of literature to draw from - even fantasy is starting to branch off in interesting direcitons, and even PnP RPGs provide so much more interesting stuff, - and still deliver crap. What, they're afraid the average crowd won't play their game? The average crowd makes decisions based on buzzwords and core gameplay gimmicks (like Bethesda's "you can go anywhere, pick up anything!" idiocy), and you can have that AND a bitter, riskier pill in the shape of an interesting offbeat world, can't you?

I sometimes wonder how much developers actually read, and what.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

I actually think there's a number of great writers working now in the genre, or until recently. Mcauley, Reynolds, Benford, Banks (R.I.P., one of the best of the bunch), Ann Leckie, David Brin, Scalzi (though he's more commercial), Peter Watts, Kim Stanley Robinson. And those are just off the top of my head.

to be honest, I did a few inquiries, checked out themes, plot and synopses, and none of the more recent stuff (post-2000) seemed particularly appealing to me. Not enough for me to choose reading those over re-reading some Asimov. You listed most of the authors I did check out (which are also recommended by the ever-unreliable goodreads), and a few I didn't (which I will, now). The only exception is Banks, who managed to somehow come across as the more "interesting" of the bunch: (not) coincidentally, his works are also amongst the more dated amongst the ones listed.

Still, I'm willing to give it a try, so at some point I'll read some of that stuff. One can never have read enough space opera.

Trip

Learned
Well, synopses, ironically, don' tell the whole story :) Also, Banks is from the 80s, that's still relatively "new". Leckie is doing interesting stuff, and Mcauley is really good at describing technology in a literary manner, so if I have two particular recommendations, it would be them.

But yeah, on a more general note, and within the context of InXile privileging writing so much for this game, I wonder about game writing's status in the whole hierarchy of game development nowadays. On the one hand, I have the feeling it could be the next frontier, and on the other, I have the feeling there are precious few people capable of juggling interactivity, skill with words and general structure, let alone try to utilize them for creating a more complex world.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just thought that for some time inXile will be "playing safe" making all those sequels, saving some money, gaining weight and after that will have a studio and finances big enough to develop two projects at a time. And that's when one part can create new IPs and the other one will still be playing safe, so the company remains stable. What do you think?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just thought that for some time inXile will be "playing safe" making all those sequels, saving some money, gaining weight and after that will have a studio and finances big enough to develop two projects at a time. And that's when one part can create new IPs and the other one will still be playing safe, so the company remains stable. What do you think?
They are working on more than one project at a time. Bard's Tale IV and Numenera. When one of those is done, they move on to the next project. They're also working on the Wasteland 2 GOTY or whateveritscalled version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom