Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

should inXile finally create their own unique IP, god damn, and if so what

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Bunch of Americans making a game heavily based on history of the continent they can barely locate on a map.

Yeah, that's gonna go well.

I have no idea why you quoted me. I'm and European/Brazilian and I know the map of Europe like the back of my hand. History too.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I have no idea why you quoted me. I'm and European/Brazilian and I know the map of Europe like the back of my hand. History too.

Oh right, sorry. I meant the other guy.

But yeah, I don't see InExile being able to make it. The only thing your typical American knows about European history, is Normandy landing and the Battle of Buldge, and I'm probably pushing it with the Battle of Buldge. How are they're supposed to create something that would require PhD depth of knowledge to successfully pull of?

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh right, sorry. I meant the other guy.

But yeah, I don't see InExile being able to make it. The only thing your typical American knows about European history, is Normandy landing and the Battle of Buldge, and I'm probably pushing it with the Battle of Buldge. How are they're supposed to create something that would require PhD depth of knowledge to successfully pull of?
Hey genius, I'm also European.

Your other point: It doesn't matter that much if what you get is a pulp-version of the setting and events (which I'm sure InXile could pull off). Also, InXile isn't 100% yank. If some of their writing-savvy people have a culturally related knowledge-disability they could have Brother None take the writing lead. I would also be surprised if he's their only non-American employee.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Your other point: It doesn't matter that much if what you get is a pulp-version of the setting and events (which I'm sure InXile could pull off). Also, InXile isn't 100% yank. If some of their writing-savvy people have a culturally related knowledge-disability they could have Brother None take the writing lead. I would also be surprised if he's their only non-American employee.
And to be fair, I have a BA in Modern and Contemporary History from a pretty topnotch university! (my MA is in Russian Studies though) (and it's not the asked-for PhD)

I'm far from the only yank though none of my fellow writer/designer types are European.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The problem with using those more obscure PnP licenses is that nobody wants to pay for them. Otherwise would would have gotten an Obsidian-made CoC game a long time ago.

Unwanted
Shitposter
Nazi death cult center of jew medicine avoidance
They should make an IP called time amorphs. It could be about traveling back in time and fixing wrongs, mixing hi tech and sword and sorcery.

But seriously how can you come up with a new IP in 2 seconds?

I think they should make some new IP and really I guess this Torment is a new IP for all intents and purposes. But it's easier said than done to build up fan recognition.

Unwanted
Shitposter
Nazi death cult center of jew medicine avoidance
And to be fair, I have a BA in Modern and Contemporary History from a pretty topnotch university! (my MA is in Russian Studies though) (and it's not the asked-for PhD)

I'm far from the only yank though none of my fellow writer/designer types are European.

Wait, you're a yank? I thought you were a decadent dutch sodomite like Trash.

Social Justice and/or having no life whatsoever is a requirement for becoming a moderator.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Huh, I thought I said "non-yank". I'm Eurotrash, yes.

Huh, I thought I said "non-yank". I'm Eurotrash, yes.

Ah, ok. Remembered it from something, I think it was something Fallout 3-related you covered for NMA using the sneak skill in a place close to Decadent Dutch Dukedom.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
A turn based Sci-fi game, which unlike wasteland would be based on exploration. Like FO/FO2 where you are given a goal and then travel the world to complete it and EXPLORE, but not travel to do quests like in the areas as it feels unnatural. With different mutants kinds of Mutants or alien species as only human games tend to be much more boring.
With GFX not worse than BOS!!!

I am also dying for a game that would give multiple solutions to quests, BUT only where needed. Unlike POE where you have a chisel to demolish the wall, can you use might to do the same or you can light the pillars to get through labirinth. But there's NO point in having many so many solutions to a non-existant problem and neither solution is rewarding so its only a lot of coding. You don't gain anything from using chisel/other solutions and neither choice is hard enough so don't gain anything.

Ideally I would like something like this: If you need to assasinate someone you can use science/hacking to use city defences to do the job for you. Or you can do it yourself, but you can use repair to dissable the defences, or use explosives and do it from distance. Each path suitable for some a type of character.

Addionally, it would be nice if the game's factions/cities would give your character unique technology choices for development. One faction could replace your limbs with robot parts, other could improve your genes, or give you some unique tech or crafting schematics that cannot be obtained in other way and etc. These choices should be mutualy exclusive to add to replayability.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
another Sci-fi post-apocalyptic wasteland?
Both Wasteland 2 game structure and setting is lacking, but the setting can be modified. Wasteland 2 is as far from FO as it can be and we all know that FO is one of the best games ever created. It never stopped Marvel in having multiple super heroes and settings. Cough *Stan Lee* cough. Why should it hurt a game company?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom