Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should JRPG Discussion become a general "Japanese Games" forum?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Where's the jap answer to Fallout? Or Planescape?

Valkyria Chronicles

Valkyria-chronicles-anime-vs-ps3-3.jpg

:decline:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
What about genres outside RPGs?

RTS, TBS, Click and point... do they have any answer to some of the giants of western games?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And again, you have no answer to give yourself. How is the RTS genre doing lately? What about TBS, how's that new XCOM working out for ya?

Japanese Wargaming (ENG)

Just KOEI, for example has tons and tons of hardcore TBS/wargames, for example:
Nobunaga's Ambition -series (信長の野望・戦国群雄伝)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms -series (三国志)
Genghis Khan -series (蒼き狼と白き牝鹿 ジンギスカン)

Historical, non-anime -style games, since everyone is all tough and shit and can't stand that weaboo scum.

I could easily write up more examples, but that'd be a waste of time.

'cuz all that comes out of Japan is shit* and needs to be put in retardo or at least on some weaboo concentration camp, amirite?

*) This statement is true

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
And again, you have no answer to give yourself. How is the RTS genre doing lately? What about TBS, how's that new XCOM working out for ya?

We had a golden of those genres. Did Japan ever produce games of that quality?

I love how defensive weaboos get when you challenge them to present games that challenge the giants of the west.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Did Japan ever produce games of "that quality"... when "that quality" you've listed consists of games that no-one in the world has reproduced. Your point being?

I just gave you a long list of wargames that match or surpass the golden era western titles. Sure, things have equally declined in Japan as they have everywhere else in the world.

RPG wise Japan doesn't make cRPGs any more. Their RPGs have long since evolved to their own thing (which coincidentally is not my thing either). Wizardy-fans may disagree.

But I find it absolutely silly that you demand to see the "Japanese Planescape: Torment" when there is only one "Planescape: Torment". Just like there is only one Command & Conquer.

But let's play that game. Where is the western Sengoku Rance?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Did Japan ever produce games of "that quality"... when "that quality" you've listed consists of games that no-one in the world has reproduced. Your point being?

They aren't being reproduced, but they were once PRODUCED. Did japan PRODUCE anything that stands up to these giants?

I just gave you a long list of wargames that match or surpass the golden era western titles. Sure, things have equally declined in Japan as they have everywhere else in the world.

Wargames are too niche to be used as an example of the overall quality of weaboo games.

But I find it absolutely silly that you demand to see the "Japanese Planescape: Torment" when there is only one "Planescape: Torment". Just like there is only one Command & Conquer.

Both are examples of western game development. Separate and distinct from jap game development.

But let's play that game. Where is the western Sengoku Rance?

1385163074176.jpg

I'm actually trying to get someone to convince me that If I endure this sickening artstyle, I'll find a game that matches or surpasses the best from the west.

spekkio

Arcane
Probably in the same place where "western answers" to Super Metroid, Castlevania - Rondo of Blood, Legend of Zelda - OOT, Ninja Gaiden, God Hand, Street Fighter, Final Fight, Ikaruga or SMT - Nocturne are.
Grow the fuck up.

Also: all these games have better core gameplay than both Fallout 1 and PST.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Probably in the same place where "western answers" to Super Metroid, Castlevania - Rondo of Blood, Legend of Zelda - OOT, Ninja Gaiden, God Hand, Street Fighter, Final Fight, Ikaruga or SMT - Nocturne are.
Grow the fuck up.

Lies. No 3D Zelda has good gameplay. 2D or go home.

spekkio

Arcane
Yeah? So why is it that almost every TPP game, PC or console, tried to copy it to some extent?

:butthurt:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah? So why is it that almost every TPP game, PC or console, tried to copy it to some extent?

:butthurt:

Well TPP games generally suck, so...

But seriously, I actually bought the OoT 3DS remake just based on all the hype and it was an absolute disappointment. I tried, but just could not get into it. More power to you if you like it, but, same as with Castlevania, the move to 3D just did not work for me.

I'm actually trying to get someone to convince me that If I endure this sickening artstyle, I'll find a game that matches or surpasses the best from the west.

Just download and play the thing, the worst that can happen is that you don't find the gameplay very good and then you can go to sleep with that warm, fuzzy feeling of being right all along

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron

Just download and play the thing, the worst that can happen is that you don't find the gameplay very good and then you can go to sleep with that warm, fuzzy feeling of being right all along

I'm actually thinking of doing that, first because I don't like being close minded in principle, second because I'd hate to miss out on playing some great games.

But when weabos get all defensive and hypersensitive when I ask them to give me examples of the gems of jap gaming, when I can easily give you a list of fantastic western games, It's making me suspicious that my prejudices might be right all along.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Grow the fuck up.

I haven't played any of those games except Street Fighter.

You're comparing street fighter to FO and PST?

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom