Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should JRPG Discussion become a general "Japanese Games" forum?

Seeing all the edgy folk around here we really need more animu avatars. Vaan avatars for everyone, problem solved.

:troll:

Blah blah blah --> Sengoku Rance art sux --> I never played either Deus Ex or System Shock.

:lol:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Of course Valkyria Chronicles also has the highly animu 'magical girl' ughhh 'trope' ughhh, in full display right there in the plot (hint: it's the blue light).

And yes, it's dumb and stupid and unnecessary.
But the combat is semi cool. Try it.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I find alot of the moral messages it tries to send across extremely conflicting at best, too. The game definitely has a strong anti-WMD message, and the character who tries to activate the in-game's analogue for WMD's true power is treated as a really bad person for doing it. Despite the fact that him doing so is literally the only thing that stopped them from suffering a crushing defeat that probably would've lead to them losing the war. And those powers are later the only thing that is capable of tearing a hole in the enemy's Ratte-equivalent super-tank.

Also, apparently racism is bad, but classism is ok (seeing as every member of the aristocracy save the Queen is treated as an apathetic asshole), and if you've been born into an inherently evil race then you've just got to forget you've ever been apart of them and just act like everyone else.

Really, it's kind of easy to tell that the game was made by the Japanese, even without taking the art-style into account.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Where is the Jap answer to Anachranox ?
Wasn't Anachronox the western answer to jRPG's?

I think that's the joke.
It is, but I have to posit that I loved Anachronox despite it having JRPG gameplay; the humour and characterization (which is all that makes the game remarkable) is simply too western to be compared with anything coming from Asia.

Also Deus Ex is a mediocre game so Curious_Tongue isn't missing out.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I find alot of the moral messages it tries to send across extremely conflicting at best, too. The game definitely has a strong anti-WMD message, and the character who tries to activate the in-game's analogue for WMD's true power is treated as a really bad person for doing it. Despite the fact that him doing so is literally the only thing that stopped them from suffering a crushing defeat that probably would've lead to them losing the war. And those powers are later the only thing that is capable of tearing a hole in the enemy's Ratte-equivalent super-tank.

Also, apparently racism is bad, but classism is ok (seeing as every member of the aristocracy save the Queen is treated as an apathetic asshole), and if you've been born into an inherently evil race then you've just got to forget you've ever been apart of them and just act like everyone else.

Really, it's kind of easy to tell that the game was made by the Japanese, even without taking the art-style into account.
Well, you know, he almost just murdered a person in cold blood and all that. People were understandably upset even without the whole legal angle. In the mass battle he resorted to it you should remember that just about everyone agrees that Damon is a total idiot for using such an approach in the war. And keep in mind that at the end of the game Welkin and co DO beat someone with those same powers without extra help. In case of the Marmota, the weakened structural part was only used as part of Welkin's latest on-the-spot strategy to climb aboard the Marmota where good old-fashioned explosives were applied to actually disable the Valkof lance and Marmota.

Furthermore, that kind of depiction of aristos is only what aristos did an entire history to deserve. The Queen being the sole exception is how these things go, the few Mannerheims are vastly outnumbered by the Yusupofs and De Raises in history. Not to mention the corrupt vizier, incompetent noble in command, and power-hungry bastard prince are archetypes that go way, way back. As for inherently evil race, neither of two we meet are inherently evil or evil in any fashion, and the key difference between the fates of the two is that one allowed herself to be defined by what she was born as, while the other was reminded that everyone is more than just that. It has to do with living without more-than-human powers than anything like that, which in the story only resulted in self-destructive distortion of events around their users. The culture of their ancestors may very well have been evil, as is evident with the natural consequence of overwhelming power being readily available for no reason. Basically, living with cheat modes on leads to ruin both for the individual and at large.

Rather you should notice some of the other things going on instead of looking for "Japanisms". Ie, the scene I alluded to earlier where one of the NPCs who has acted like a racist so far gets to be face-to-face with the aftermath of such racially motivated concentration camp, but instead of leaving it at "oh teh Jewmanities" when she tries to be indignant at soon-to-be team Jew Zaka for not dropping everything and mourning about all the horrors going about, Zaka just calmly remarks that his time is much more productively spent trying to find out if there's any survivors trapped under the debris rather than Oy Veying, and gets back to shifting through the debris.

Also Deus Ex is a mediocre game so Curious_Tongue isn't missing out.
While Deus Ex might be composed of at-best-mediocre elements in terms of gameplay, the fact is that as a whole it's more than the sum of its parts. This is due to the superb level design of the game where those various elements work together seamlessly. That's why it's one of the best games ever.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Retards saying "I won't play jRPGs because they hurt my sensibilities" are just as dumb as someone who looks at Fallout 1 and goes "I won't play that horrible dated game".

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Could we go back to making fun of the weeaboos?

I like Curious Tongue, but he's clearly not here for the videogames.

I grew up on pirated and second hand games. The best games seemed to drift my way.

I developed a taste for the best, and only the best, and I can't think of any other place I belong. :obviously:

GAEMZ R SYRIEZ BIZNUS, BRAH. :kingcomrade:

They are.

I'm mainly here just waiting for the spiritual successor to Morrowind and the original Fallouts.

I grew up on pirated and second hand games. The best games seemed to drift my way.

I developed a taste for the best, and only the best, and I can't think of any other place I belong. :obviously:

I never played either Dues Ex or System Shock.

Implying Denton's Escapades and System Suck aren't the best games ever? On the Codex ?

cWa5he.jpg

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And currently Deus Ex is #10 and SS2 #16 on the ongoing voting of BEST RPG EVAH, if you only believe the statistics.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
For some reason I consider Deus Ex an RPG, but not SS2, but I can't explain why.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I fail to see how Morrowind is action orientated at all. Especially when you use Deus Ex and SS2 as counter-examples.

Have you ever fought something in Morrowind?
Yes and the outcome was character skill based. It was one of the big complaints about the system.

Also, combat is avoidable in Morrowind for hours at a time.

Yes, people complained about the system because it was trying to shove character skill into gameplay clearly more suited to player skill.

Plus, the fact you can often avoid combat doesn't change how the combat works when it does happen.

Because the "gameplay clearly more suited to player skill" is still there. It's an action RPG that failed on the "action" part because it wasn't sure whether it wanted to be character or skill based.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom