Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should JRPG Discussion become a general "Japanese Games" forum?

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
But it's not skill based - it's character based. Hence it's not an action RPG by common Codex conventions.

Regardless of that, I fail to see how Deus Ex could possibly be considered less action orientated. I mean if you're going to go that way, then practically any first person RPG is an action RPG. I'm totally in with someone considering Ultima Underworld an action RPG - but that doesn't diminish the influence it has had on the genre of RPGs.

DraQ

Arcane
Should JRPG Discussion become a general "Japanese Games" forum?
I'd be for it but whether something or is wapanese or not is still sort of orthogonal to actual genre distinction and JPG is actually a genre (though not cRPG subgenre, obviously) - case in point Anachronox.

Still, shoving all the unseemly moonspeak/derpy manga aesthetics* games somewhere dark obscure would be good.
:smug:

Kommon Kodex Konventions are meaningless in my opinion, which is what caused this conversation in the first place.

And what's that about Deus Ex? I lumped it alongside Morrowind in my original post edit: err, actually I mentioned it on the post before the one you originally quoted. As influential as these titles are, I think they're a bit too action oriented to show up in something called THE RPG CODEX TOP RPG LIST.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But it's not skill based - it's character based. Hence it's not an action RPG by common Codex conventions.

Regardless of that, I fail to see how Deus Ex could possibly be considered less action orientated. I mean if you're going to go that way, then practically any first person RPG is an action RPG. I'm totally in with someone considering Ultima Underworld an action RPG - but that doesn't diminish the influence it has had on the genre of RPGs.
Wizardry and Might and Magic aren't.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I sincerly pity those who cannot even recognize the quality and creatity of japanese RPGs because they have "funny anime looks"...and ultimetly sont look like Shepard. The millions of RPG fans that started out with series like the Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are the ones who made RPGs from a niche market for geeks into a popular genre today. So many current RPG gamers I know who started out with consoles in the early 90 who wouldn't even be fans if not for the japanese
Oh and please somebody band that retarded twat who not only has not played Deus Ex or System Shock but confeses himself not only as a pirate but one with extremly shitty taste

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
The millions of RPG fans that started out with series like the Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are the ones who made RPGs from a niche market for geeks into a popular genre today. So many current RPG gamers I know who started out with consoles in the early 90 who wouldn't even be fans if not for the japanese
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Help?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I'll make it easy; the Souls series was the best series of this generation and Clocky is right in anything he says about JRPGs

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Oh and check it out; the most mass marketed dumbed down RPGs come from western developers like Bethesda and Bioware, you 0can blame the japanese for a lot of things, but even their Nintendo DS games remain more hardcore and niche for old skool gamers (for all their cutey graphics and anime vibe) than the biggest western sellers

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, people say that japs ruined Wizardry, but just imagine if it stayed on the west... We would be raging over "Wizardry Forever", a third-person action game developed by EA. For cellphones.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I sincerly pity those who cannot even recognize the quality and creatity of japanese RPGs because they have "funny anime looks"...and ultimetly sont look like Shepard. The millions of RPG fans that started out with series like the Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are the ones who made RPGs from a niche market for geeks into a popular genre today.
In short they sperheaded the decline, this is the best argument to nuke any JRPG reference here.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Depends on your definition of decline, to me the decline in western RPGs started with Oblvion...the second that they tried to catter to casual gamers they went as Angry Joe says "you dun fucked it up"
For JRPGs I would say their decline started when Square and Enix joined up and they watered down both of their approaches. Also there where isssues more software related, they didn't get to proper tools to adapt to the PS3 and the costs vs profit margins made going to the handhelds a much more interesting an sound business startegy
If you think JRPGs are decline try out their 3 lastest biggest sellers Valykire Chronicles, Dragon Quest 8 or Persona 4 and compare the story, systems and complexity of those games to the best selling western RPGs like the Mass Effects, Dragon Ages and what Bethesda produces and tell me what is fucking decline you retarded little cunt

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Brilliant move Infinitron. After the creation of the jRPG ghetto has molified the most vocal of the "Japfaggotry pedo pictures ruin games I never play" crowd there was obviously a great need to kick the hornets nest. Thank you for your good work, here's to the next glorious five year moderating plan.
:excellent:

Athelas

Arcane
There has always been a clear demarcation between jRPG's and WRPG's - neither contributed to the decline of the other.

Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are the ones who made RPGs from a niche market for geeks into a popular genre today.
Chrono Trigger is fun, but that's because it's an oddity within the jRPG genre. Final Fantasy has always been terrible and is single-handedly responsible for the decline of its own genre.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
somebody band that retarded twat who not only has not played Deus Ex or System Shock but confeses himself not only as a pirate but one with extremly shitty taste

Weeaboo butthurt has disabled your spellchecker.

UFO, Dune 2, Civilisation, Silent Hunter, Warcraft, Kings Quest, Gabriel Knight, MOO2, Simcity, I Have No Mouth, Broken Sword... These are some of my earliest games, and I got them back when I had virtually no disposable income, which means piracy and a good eye for second hand games.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Mmm not a single mentiod of a RPG anywhere...not even a JRPG and you come to the Codex to make your stand?
Fucking retard :D
Go back to RPG watch and yeah I am a weeaboo and might proud of it, I even got a girlfriend who likes to cosplay with her leia bikini, mmm oh so good :D

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Retards saying "I won't play jRPGs because they hurt my sensibilities" are just as dumb as someone who looks at Fallout 1 and goes "I won't play that horrible dated game".

"I played DE:HR before Deus Ex because DE is dated looking".

:smug:

SumDrunkGuy

I petition that we purge all of the animu weeb shit from the jRPG forum so we can focus on discussing purely prestigious titles such as Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma. Those degenerate freaks are the reason that subforum will never be taken seriously and why it's the laughing stock of the codex. Take all that moldy diarrhea and dump it into it's very own compost heap. We need segregation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom