Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shouldn't we have a crowdfunding/kickstarter subforum?

Should there be a Kickstarter forum?

• Yes

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I know, this may be a bit too early ..

But with the recent situation: first promise of a real paradigm change since ca 2000, first realistic chance of RPCodex.com turning from a site occupied with nostalgia and (mostly valid) criticism of all contemporary games to one playing and discussing actual new games (!), shouldn't it be considered to have a subforum dedicated only to kickstarters (and crowdfunded games on other platforms)?

All these games have some important things in common:
- many projects genuinely promise to turn out games that the codex will love*
- the business model is absolutely new and needs discussion
- all games are at least a year away and still need input, scrutiny, and more money(!)
- new games could hit us like a huge Tsunami wave by 2013 and we need to prepare for that

I think this may be a good idea because people really need to discuss the new model, get background information about (and from) the developers, and even more importantly, crowdfunding could change the general perception of the codex, from a bunch of negative losers to the premier site of discriminating gamers, who also back kickstarters.

I mean seriously. It may of course be better to wait and see if 2012 will really become the annus mirabilis of (sophisticated) computer gaming, or if this turns out another dissappointment ...

I am interested in your opinion.

Kz3r0

Arcane
I would prefer a LULZ & BOYCOTT subforum where to relegate all the AAA+ titles.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Nah. A lot of the gaming forums on this site are kind of dead (GRPG discussion, Strategy gaming discussion). Kickstarters will just make them more lively.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Better question should we make a next Fund-raise drive for Shadowrun or Obsidian-KS?

Burning Bridges

Actually I am beginning to see the problem myself, and why it would be a very bad idea to relegate kickstarters into just a subforum.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Better question should we make a next Fund-raise drive for Shadowrun or Obsidian-KS?

I'm still on the fence with Shadowrun being a HARD CORE cRPG. But we shall see.

Obsidian's project? Oh hell yes. THEY KNOW their target audience. And it's us.

Micmu

Magister
To be honest, I kinda like how W2 topics have (mercifully) drowned shitstained topics full of poseurs and RPG haters discussing their fucking shitty xbox action games.
Keep them where they are.

Burning Bridges

This is all so true. I'm the one who voted yes, but would now vote No.

I would however still like to see a place to discuss crowdfunding per se, in a sticky in GF or a subforum.

Burning Bridges

That's because I would like to see more discussion about the model per se, the possible future, and how to approach/understand the people making the games.
We already had a lot of valid criticism of individual projects, many good questions. Right now that is dispersed over too many threads.
All games are still a year out or so. There are hardly any screenshots or anything. I want to give money but I still need some kind of sieve to locate the right projects.
And for this I need more than videos of a developer in front of his PC.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, the scattering of info is a tad..... chaotic. But it's usually been the fight of the strongest content here (thread wise). And that's kind of how things have always been.

I don't really have an answer.

boot

Prophet
is it time? half of the topics on the first page of general rpg discussion are now for kickstarters.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
If my Godlike ability to design solutions to system problems truly is as Godlike as I like to think it is, a solution to all our problems will come soon.

Soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom