Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shoutbox archive trashes quicksearch

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
As the title says, I am annoyed by the fact, that when I'm searching (the quicksearch on the right top) for keywords in the forum, the first 10+ pages are from the Shoutbox archive. Please do something against it. And yes, there are people who use the search function, otherwise please remove the search function completely, as it's useless by now.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Ignore Retardo Land when searching?

Display results as topics?

Also, what are you searching for that the shoutbox has that many results?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The extended search functions work, which allows me to exclude specific forums, it's the quicksearch field (the one which appears, when you clicked onto the Forums-Link, which is useless by now.

So I remembered a topic about creating a "one man game" but didn't know where it was:
I typed in exactly this phrase into the quicksearch field and got dozens of pages lining up stupid Shoutbox archive results. You can reproduce it any time with the mentioned keywords.

Ok, and now use the extended Forum search where you enter the exact same phrase and specify forum area: -> voila, the topic is listed on the first page!

(Oh and btw. the globalsearch on the startpage of RPGCodex is utterly useless as it leads to 404 not found (for months now))

Edit: sorry I removed my post previously, as I couldn't reproduce the later "correct search"... it's just that on the one I got the shoutbox archive results and on the extended I hit on the first page. Which makes me doubt the point of the quicksearch. A simple solution would be just to exclude Shoutbox archive from the quicksearch results

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The extended search functions work, which allows me to exclude specific forums, it's the quicksearch field (the one which appears, when you clicked onto the Forums-Link, which is useless by now.
Technically it's working as intended. There's no way for me to resolve it short of burying the Shoutbox thread in a non-visible forum... which means the Shoutbox archive would be completely unsearchable. Theoretically, only certain phrases should be problematic.

And yeah, should do something about that 404...

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
hmmm dingo anus

250px-Mmm.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom