Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Show/Hide hidden post made by vrok?

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
extremekz6.jpg

I'm worried to ask, but what is going on?
15.gif

vrok

Liturgist
DarkUnderlord said:
Be better to code something related to the tag system. Edit your profile, pick what tags you want visible. EG: Dumbfucks, illiterate, spammers, furries. Show posts Yes / No.

Then when you view a thread, anyone with one of those tags would be shown or hidden depending on your preferences. I would make it so it showed "kingcomrade has posted here" or something and you could click a little javascript controlled + / - to view the post if you wanted to but for the most part, you could just move on by.

obediah

Erudite
I hate to gun for the obvious. But it looks like a Dumbfuck filter is a "benefit" of having a patron account.

As is, that's kind of useless because there is no rhyme or reason to the dumbfucks. Some have nothing interesting to say. Some have reasonable things to say about games, but were dumbfucked because of off topic discussions, and others are dumbfucks simply because they caught an admin on the rag.

EDIT: Beaten to the point by a dumbfuck. :)

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
I can see The Walkin' Dude without problems. Anyone know how I can remove the show/hide for vrok? I don't see anything in my profile control panel.

Calis

Pensionado
obediah said:
As is, that's kind of useless because there is no rhyme or reason to the dumbfucks. Some have nothing interesting to say. Some have reasonable things to say about games, but were dumbfucked because of off topic discussions, and others are dumbfucks simply because they caught an admin on the rag.
Agree that this needs revision. Also think it's more of a "DU wanted to hack this in" since the Greasemonkey ignore works fine, but it works nicely. I actually disabled my own "ad-free" experience because of this, since I was using forum search to look into cases of dumbfucking that I and others couldn't remember, it was a pain to expand their posts every single time.
It was a fun ride though. That guy who came into some thread to bitch at David Gaider because he was banned at the Bio forums, classic. Or the guy who was asking for Cygwin help to hack his Fate unlock. Good times.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Yup, this was in response to the suggestion of some kind of "ignore" feature. Figured I'd have a shot at throwing one in and see how people reacted. I only did it for people who'd donated though because of the way Calis hacked the forums to handle that and so rather than inflict it on everyone, just did it to the ad free template for now to see what happened.

The possibility is though, that various different users may end up with different tags. If it's been deemed that you're here for the lulz, maybe a special "lulz" tag is made up. Each user would then be able to edit their profile and change their preferences as to what type of tags they wanted hidden. EG: They might decide to only hide the "illiterate" or only the "lulz" or whatever.

obediah said:
Yeah well, there's that problem too. Ideally if we went ahead with this, we'd have some kind of incentive to ensure people were appropriately tagged. Reality is though, sooner or later someone who's post you wanted to see would end up hidden because of some tag or another. Then we'd likely end up with a huge bitchfest about it and hey, whadda you know, maybe learn that not everyone actually agrees on who the morons are and who isn't. Perhaps then we'd learn to cope a bit better if people just used their brains to skip by the posts they didn't want to read. But hey, maybe that's just me...

Anyway, I thought I'd hack that in to see what people thought.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Well, I certainly support the experiment - I am all for trying out new things :). But I know that I personally would not use it: I wouldn't want to risk missing a good post by a "lulzer". Also, if the feature becomes widely used, giving someone a "lulz" or other widely hidden tag would be tantamount to banning.

Deleted member 7219

I think if someone posts NSFW images, they should get put into a special 'NSFW Dumbfuck' group, because really those are the only posts I want hidden. I like normal dumbfucks and illiterate tagged people, their posts are always entertaining.

AnalogKid

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
People have mentioned other methods to target users, but is there a reason your "official" hack targets tags instead of users? If you envision each user profile being able to pick and choose which tags to hide, why not let each user profile just pick which users to hide? I ask because I agree that going by tags is not likely to be reliable enough.

Oarfish

Prophet
That's only going to be useful if we do our own tagging. Given the long and glorious history of arbitrary dumbfucking at the codex its a pretty crappy measure of anything.

And what happens to dumbfuck patrons?

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
AnalogKid said:
DarkUnderlord said:
People have mentioned other methods to target users, but is there a reason your "official" hack targets tags instead of users?
It was easier for the time being and I hadn't put much thought into how I was going to handle individual members tagging other individual members¹. There was also a suggestion in the staff forum about giving the tags "more meaning" so I thought I'd try this first.

¹Though now that it's not 1 am in the morning, it may not actually be all that hard so I might try that next. Especially now that my two test cases of vrok and Nutcracker are undumbfucked.

obediah

Erudite
Assnuggets said:
DarkUnderlord said:
maybe a special "lulz" tag is made up
How about "lulz baby"? Or, is that too offensive?

Yeah Assnuggets. I think "lulz baby" would be too offensive. I think we should use "PawnComrade".

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
In his defence, Assnuggets was my doing. Mikail asked for too many username changes and I needed to teach him a lesson about making me do pointless work.

I actually sent him a PM a while ago asking if he wanted it changed to something he was willing to live with (or words to that effect) only haven't received a reply.

Quigs

Magister
Calis said:
obediah said:
Agree that this needs revision. Also think it's more of a "DU wanted to hack this in" since the Greasemonkey ignore works fine, but it works nicely. I actually disabled my own "ad-free" experience because of this, since I was using forum search to look into cases of dumbfucking that I and others couldn't remember, it was a pain to expand their posts every single time.
It was a fun ride though. That guy who came into some thread to bitch at David Gaider because he was banned at the Bio forums, classic. Or the guy who was asking for Cygwin help to hack his Fate unlock. Good times.

Yeah. one of these days im hoping the tag gets removed. Gets annoying then 14 year olds who just tossed back a cold glass of angst as they come here of their fresh bethesda board ban act like a superior douchebag because I got tagged by Rex way back when.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
All right, the "ignore user" feature is in. Simple click the "ignore" button on said user's post to ignore that person's posts. That'll then replace all their posts with the "Show / Hide" javascript thingy you can click on in the event you think you've missed something. Looking at their hidden post you'll see an "unignore" button. Click that to remove them from your list.

AnalogKid

Scholar
Did DU just post something? It seems like it but there just a little click button there, no text. WTF?

TheLostOne

Savant
It would be neat to be able to click someones profile and see how many people are ignoring them. Would also be kind of a self guide to let people know if they're becoming excessively ignoring.

Also, how do you unignore someone? The button is awfully close to the quote button and there's no confirmation screen. Just tested on DU and don't see the option in either mine or his profile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom