Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Show/Hide hidden post made by vrok?

aboyd

Liturgist
Joe Krow said:
If you can't beat them hide them? Whatever happened to "taking out the trash"? Bury your heads in the sand while the site goes to shit... you may not even notice.
For what it's worth, I've had the Greasemonkey ignore script in use on this site for over a year, I think. I don't believe anyone has attributed "the fall of the Codex" to my use of an ignore script. No one noticed, and because I used it, I was able to stay here and make some decent posts that a few people appreciated. I wouldn't have stayed otherwise. I think the system will only benefit the Codex and attract or retain more members.

Relien said:
Would it be possible to ignore individual posts? I don't want to ignore any poster completely, but when I see an occasional image spam that breaks the page layout making it 3000+ px wide, I'll be glad to get rid of it.
I use a ton of Greasemonkey scripts when I view this site. I have one that changes it to look like the old design, one that ignores people, and one that resizes the images so that they never break the page. If you're interested, that one is called "phpBB image resizer" and it is here:

http://www.grauw.nl/projects/pc/greasemonkey/

That won't let you ignore individual posts, but it will fix your problems with posts that break pages.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
aboyd said:
Joe Krow said:
If you can't beat them hide them? Whatever happened to "taking out the trash"? Bury your heads in the sand while the site goes to shit... you may not even notice.
For what it's worth, I've had the Greasemonkey ignore script in use on this site for over a year, I think. I don't believe anyone has attributed "the fall of the Codex" to my use of an ignore script. No one noticed, and because I used it, I was able to stay here and make some decent posts that a few people appreciated. I wouldn't have stayed otherwise. I think the system will only benefit the Codex and attract or retain more members.

Relien said:
Would it be possible to ignore individual posts? I don't want to ignore any poster completely, but when I see an occasional image spam that breaks the page layout making it 3000+ px wide, I'll be glad to get rid of it.
I use a ton of Greasemonkey scripts when I view this site. I have one that changes it to look like the old design, one that ignores people, and one that resizes the images so that they never break the page. If you're interested, that one is called "phpBB image resizer" and it is here:

http://www.grauw.nl/projects/pc/greasemonkey/

That won't let you ignore individual posts, but it will fix your problems with posts that break pages.

Question: does the greasemonkey ignore script still show something similar to the "show/hide" option DU left in? Also, is there a greasemonkey script/option to filter out words so that you don't have to see the nickname of the person you're ignoring being quoted?

aboyd

Liturgist
Yes, there is a show/hide that appears under the member's name on the left side of each post.

There is in fact an older version of the Greasemonkey script that filters out not just the member's posts, but all the followups that quote it. However, I couldn't get that one to work, and I've lost track of it. You could hunt it down if you cared a lot, I suspect. I think I found it after just a couple of Google searches.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
I've always thought that the 'ignore' feature was a stupid idea, tailored for people with minds so fragile and easily disturbed that the mere sight of a post by someone they dislike is enough to disrupt their ability to manipulate a scroll-wheel and pass by to the next response.

If this has to be implemented, at least include some kind of function that lets you know who has you on their list. That way, when I see the person(s) who ignored me posting in a thread I can ask others to convey to them that they're a giant faggot.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Lol, passing by after a long time, and all I can say is wow. Just wow. Talking about people trying to live with each other... naah forget it. Laughable also that I'm being ignored (by 1 user), even though I wasn't even thinking of getting back here...

Oh well, another day, another surprising burst of intelligence. Now please add an ignore option to my TV so that I won't be able to stumble (even randomly) upon CNN and see Bush's pearl de jour or some random idiotic commercial. Maybe implement one that lets you ignore people IRL so that whenever someone you don't wish to hear speaking speaks, you don't hear him. The choices are endless.

Me over & out, no need to even ignore me, I won't bother anyone anymore. Bye.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom