Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

grimace

Arcane
We should extend an invitation to young Andrew to join us here on the Codex? Or perhaps he is already here, giving me negative ratings on all my posts.

Mr. Darovich has got the angst to create his own Ultimate RPG!

grimace

Arcane
http://ultimacodex.com/2016/08/make-a-trailer-for-shroud-of-the-avatar-and-yes-win-prizes/

Not content with asking you to pay to do their jobs, like they did à while ago, they are now asking their fans to build the trailers for their own game. New economy is the best economy.

And they pay you with store crédit too, their own bullshit monkey money.

The development funds going directly toward development of the game while the game is in (alpha/beta?) development phase makes sense to me.

Once Episode One (the three main storylines love, truth, courage) are complete Portalarium may push out official marketing.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
ah shit, so this is garbage?
jesus fucking christ all i want is a sandbox game where i can play and craft and explore, with pvp and full loot
why is that hard

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Because you are a bad person and God is punishing you for it

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is anyone actually anticipating this other than the paid shill grimace?

grimace

Arcane

Do I bill you, Metro? No one mentioned this was a paying gig.

jesus fucking christ all i want is a sandbox game where i can play and craft and explore, with pvp and full loot
why is that hard

Shroud provides a sandbox for guilds to build towns, craft, explore, and adventure together. There are boss battles and dungeons to complete. The economy is approaching EVE levels.

Full PVP exists in PVP scenes (like zero security in EVE) and players can flag themselves PVP to fight other PVP players in any scene (this removes the protection of the Oracle which is explained in the first 5 minutes of gameplay).

Most of the meaningful PVP happens in organized brackets organized by guilds.

I'm here to answer questions as a player who has played Shroud of the Avatar for 2 years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/richard-garriott-if-crowdfunding-failed-my-career-was-over/0171329

Richard Garriott: 'If crowdfunding failed, my career was over'

Ultima creator Richard Garriott has said that his four-plus decades of working in the games industry would have come to an end had the crowdfunding campaign for Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues failed to hit its target.

Pitched as a follow-up to his hit ‘90s RPG series Ultima, Avatar raised more than $1.9 million on Kickstarter in early 2013.

“When we started down the crowdfunding path, I looked at it with great trepidation,” Garriott told us. “If crowdfunding didn’t work, my ability to go back to a big publisher and say: ‘help, back me building the spiritual successor to Ultima’ when the community wouldn’t support it, when I was taking it directly to them, would go way down.

“If this didn’t work, I actually thought this literally could be the end of my career. At least for making the thing I really want to make.”

In the wake of other successful crowdfunded RPG revivals, such as Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, Garriott suggested that publishers may look to work more closely with independent creators who establish themselves through crowdfunding.

“It’s unfortunate that if you’re doing a Monument Valley or an homage to your previous work, the big publishers won’t support you,” he observed.

“Once we prove that this works, they might want to come in. We’ve talked to big publishers about doing this and they weren’t interested because it didn’t fit the formula. If this is successful, then they’ll want to talk to us.”

Hobo Elf

Arcane
“Once we prove that this works, they might want to come in."

Lol good luck proving that your game is worth the investment. I'm sure publishers will run to throw money at the business that's so close to the edge that the creator has to sell his own bottled blood to stay afloat.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People would be mocking the pace of this were it not for Scam Citizen taking all the headlines on that front.

grimace

Arcane
People would be mocking the pace of this were it not for Scam Citizen taking all the headlines on that front.

People mock every game.

We can tear game design decisions to shreds, roast developers with cult like followings, refuse to support kickstarters, early access, and pre-orders most effectivel when s we remain well informed and present rational arguments.

I have not paid much attention to Star Citzen. Shroud of the Avatar is my silly sandbox game where I have fun.

grimace

Arcane
aNlqYYa.jpg

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=35155

Total Raised: $10,002,404

Have a look at the new items. https://sketchfab.com/shroudoftheavatar

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

Do I bill you, Metro? No one mentioned this was a paying gig.

why is that hard

Shroud provides a sandbox for guilds to build towns, craft, explore, and adventure together. There are boss battles and dungeons to complete. The economy is approaching EVE levels.

Full PVP exists in PVP scenes (like zero security in EVE) and players can flag themselves PVP to fight other PVP players in any scene (this removes the protection of the Oracle which is explained in the first 5 minutes of gameplay).

Most of the meaningful PVP happens in organized brackets organized by guilds.

I'm here to answer questions as a player who has played Shroud of the Avatar for 2 years.

here's what i'm looking for: a game i can play at my own pace, where i can have fun even just being an armorer or blacksmith or whatnot (so, with a solid economy - so NOT like UO), that allows me to have fun exploring and where, if i leave the safe areas, i'll have to look out and will probably get killed and looted (so, LIKE UO).

how far away are we from this?

edit
jesus christ those steam reviews
yeah forget about it

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I just tried this for a bit. My frames drop to the low teens in the first city I entered (named like Resolute I think). I don't understand. I have all the graphics options either on lowest or off besides textures and still this? I have had no problem running a steady 30 frames (I have after burner and a 30 fps cap because more than 30 does nothing for me besides waste electricity) on game, for instance, I have almost everything maxed in ESO and don't drop below 30 even in the city with a ton of people.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I just tried this for a bit. My frames drop to the low teens in the first city I entered (named like Resolute I think). I don't understand. I have all the graphics options either on lowest or off besides textures and still this? I have had no problem running a steady 30 frames (I have after burner and a 30 fps cap because more than 30 does nothing for me besides waste electricity) on game, for instance, I have almost everything maxed in ESO and don't drop below 30 even in the city with a ton of people.

You must not have bought the "Framerate Improve" item from the Shroud Store. It's only $300 Garriott bucks.

:troll:

Zep--

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

You must not have bought the "Framerate Improve" item from the Shroud Store. It's only $300 Garriott bucks.

:troll:

Zep--

Anyone else have huge performance issues?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom