Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

TheGreatOne

Arcane
God damn Spoony would've had the perfect opportunity to ask Garriot what the fuck he was thinking when he made Ultima 8, Ultima 9 and now Shroud of the Avatar, but instead he literally was trying to pull of his best impression of a spineless worm. Garriott seems like such a loonie these days that he probably might've actually done something about the awful design of this game if some one actually had said him NO firmly. A somewhat popular internet critic known for being harsh and critical (and being a big fan of the series) would've been the perfect person to do that. But he's surrounded by yes men who are taking advantage of what little money and name recognition. He could've tried to redeem himself and remind the world why the Ultima games were so ground breaking titles back in the 80s. I wasn't expecting AAA level production values, but if he could pull off something like Divinity: Original Sin with virtues and a thought provoking storyline, that would be gold.
But no, Spoony didn't question him and we got absolutely 0 new info out the interviews. Time and money well spent, everything he said in those videos he has told a million times before. Actually the Ultima VI special edition casette tapes from 1990 contain all the same info as his recent interviews (Spoony, MattChat). Seeing as Garriott is so fond of telling his life story over and over again in different interviews, you'd think all that reminiscing of U4-U7 would get through his thick skull what made them so good and that people want more of that, not Sims/watered down Ultima Online. God fucking damnit what a waste of time and resources. I doubt many people believe that RG can pull of a good game like that anymore, but you'd hope to see him go out with a bang and not like this. And seemingly Spoony and many other old Ultima fans are aboard with this idea. What the fuck?! It's like those Thief/Silent Hill fans who give their blessings to the new sequels. This is depressing

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/0...ee-shroud-of-the-avatars-release-7/#continued

Check out the new video. I think it looks good and could see it being a good time with about a half dozen friends. Of course, I might just be a drunk.

The music is crowdsourced and excellent.

There's also an interview where Felicia Day orgasms out worse than Spoony ever did.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...felicia-day-and-greg-kasavin-talk-ultima.aspx

It's especially funny since it's the best interview Garriott's done in decades. Watch the whole thing if you don't believe me.

Last edited:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Indeed I'm drunk, but the videos are good.

I promise you won't be brainwashed.

:shunthenonbeliever:

(It will probably be shit, but I'm a career loser, so I think there's a chance.)

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm as curious about this game as I am sceptical. It does sound like a "streamlined" (read: "dumbed down") version of UO, but it's also got 4.3M in crowdfunding. I wonder how much of that figure come from hardcore UO fans, how much from hardcore Ultima fans, and how much from newfags that pretended to be into Ultima/UO and donated just not to seem newfags in front of their (few) friends and families. I'll keep watching.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interestingly named site: http://www.ihatemmorpgs.com/2014/06/q-with-richard-garriott-of-sota.html

Q&A with Richard Garriott of SotA

garriott-interview_zpsaf031d89.jpg

Jackpot.
An original gangsta' of computer RPG's and notable creator of the first and greatest MMORPG of all time, Richard Garriott has decided to take a break from mundane activities like going into outer-freaking space and answer a few burning questions I have.

If you're unfamiliar with his recent activities, Garriott has successfully kickstarted a spiritual successor to the Ultima series called Shroud of the Avatar, and aims to create a landing-pad for the downtrodden MMORPG apologist (that's you). If you want to find out more about Shroud of the Avatar, check out their website because they're being extremely transparent with their progress.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: I feel like the term MMORPG is being grotesquely misused on two separate fronts. A role playing game isn't a rat killing simulator (what role is that?), but worse than that, I believe (with the rare exception of EvE Online) MMORPG's are becoming far less 'massively multiplayer'. Despite giant leaps in technology that should make it easier to bring people together, why do you think the standard has shifted towards sandboxing players apart? Can a game really be a MMO when content is designed to be consumed by restrictive group sizes? Exactly how massively multiplayer is Shroud of the Avatar?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: I agree with your assessment that most MMO’s these days are too much the same. WoW and before that EQ, both of which are truly GREAT games, became the model that most others are now built in. In this model everyone is a combatant, who may also have a side crafting interest. After spending time creating a character and making permanent decisions about class before you have ever played, you are dropped into a familiar looking space…A medieval town with the usual shops, “!” over the heads of anyone important, menu conversations that you quickly click through to get info pumped into your quest log, quest logs that out arrows on the map to follow to the next rat quest, then once a few pelts are in your pocket, you return to repeat.

In these models players may get together to party or raid, but there is less commonly a true interdependence between hunters, gatherers, crafters, and adventurers. I personally do NOT think Party / raid size is NEARLY as important as to how and why people get together.

SotA will allow many dozens of people in a scene together, we think this will be plenty large enough, and we could likely support more if needed.
All I read was, "I agree".

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: The Elder Scrolls series historically provides players with freedom (within their scope) to interact with the world as one sees fit, but they had the foresight to restrict players from effectively destroying the world in the Online version for the sake of others (much like why the apocalypse spell didn't find its way into Ultima Online). In many ways, single-player and co-op games allow for more actual freedom. Does that make them better 'games'? Did you ever consider making your Ultimate RPG an offline one?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: It is true that solo/co-op and multiplayer all allow differing features better than each other for their environment. It is my belief, we can bring much of the solo player experience forward into a multiplayer game. Though importantly SotA can be played fully offline.
I hope so, but why play offline when multiplayer offers an infinite amount of unscripted content?

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: The trending e-sports culture demands balance in combat! How do you feel about the complex relationship between balance and novelty? Is it more important for a game to have numerous equivalent combat options, or for a game to have an array of profoundly different options that can't be compared or balanced?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: I have a strong preference for differing options that cannot be compared easily. Strangely I use the original Command and Conquer as a touch stone. I remember oh so well, playing against our CFO, and each of us alternatively developing better strategies to defeat each other, and eventually coming to the Rock-Paper-Scissors style stale mate of trying to predict each other. Then we played against our QA department and realized how bad we still were.
He gets it. Balance can't really apply when comparing someone who makes fire-resistance potions to someone who shoots fire OUT OF THEIR EYES.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: Combat in MMORPG's sucks anyway. My tinker used to blow up his enemies with cunning and purple potions. When are we going to see a game that allows alternative PVP options to a toe-to-toe fight?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: I hope we offer you such opportunities!
Good. Twitch reflexes shouldn't be the only measure of success in an MMORPG.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: Part of playing a role is having options on what role you're actually playing. How do you cultivate a deep experience for pacifists and sissies who would like nothing more than to chill with some sheep or at a tavern all day? Is it up to them to define success, or do players need clear incentives?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: We VERY much support as diverse roles as possible. Especially the non-combat advancement types. I find most RP types need less “guidance”, but we will still provide them some RP intrigue.
Hand-holding begets hand-holding. If a simulation is strong enough, many things feel rewarding without achievement badges popping up every 5 seconds.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: As graphics improved, so did the demand to focus on aesthetics. Do you miss the MUD days where most features that would be impossible in a modern MMORPG were a matter of a day's coding and some colorful(figurative) descriptions? Is that why we're seeing so many 2d indie games with creative and interesting feature-sets?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: Absolutely. In fact, in my life, I have “finished” about 2 dozen games. The most recent was “A Dark Room”. It’s a great game, made me think of my original DND1 from 1977… only A Dark Room was actually good!
Subjectivity aside, many reviews immediately dismiss strong games with solid systems because of polygon-count. It's time for this to change.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: The term 'WoW clone' gets thrown around a lot, which seems like a tremendous compliment to Blizzard. What is it about those guys, where they seem to strike (financial) gold with everything they touch? Are there lessons that can be taken from their long-term success without stifling innovation?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: I love Blizzard’s games. I think they do a FAR better job than most (including me) on the balance of challenge – reward cycle. They also do a great job of art direction. While many of their features are now very overused by copycats, so they too will need to invent some new paradigms, I have full faith and confidence in their abilities. Fortunately for me, I do not consider that we do or ever have made Blizzard clones. In fact, I would argue they have also built a lot from our foundation. Still I always learn from and am inspired by their work.
This type of copycat syndrome might be a result of decisions coming from money-men and not gamers. MMORPG's should be among the most innovative games, but that pendulum has been on the back-swing for some time now. The success of games like SotA and ArcheAge are pivotal for changing this landscape.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: The Shards of the Gem of Immortality seem to have been pilfered by some rogues and taken to their 'Citadel'. How pissed is the wizard Mondain, or is he flattered?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: I love how terms from Ultima have found their way into the gaming lexicon. “Avatar” has become a standard because of Ultima, so has “Shards” for server copies. Even non-gaming users of duplicated server data bases call the dupes “Shards” and are unaware that they came from Ultima Online! I have nothing but good wishes for Citadel and their Shards game. So does Mondain!
This seems contrary to what I know about Mondain's personality.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: Crowd-funding seems to have become anathema to some. With the invention of 'stretch-goals', do you think it's tempting for some nefarious developers to continue to collect unnecessary funds, while simultaneously using those funds as an excuse to prolong the development process? Wouldn't that be a pretty shitty thing to do?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: SotA would not exist without crowd funding, so clearly I am a supporter. BUT, yes it absolutely can be abused! I hope we do not. I am sure our audience will let us know, if they think we do! We are pretty well on track with our original deliverables.
That's the thing about the internet. Some *ahem* people always seem to assume the worst about everything.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: What advantage does being beholden to 'backers' hold over traditional publishing avenues?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: Beholding to the people you are delivering TO, is WAY better than a company’s intermediaries such as sales and marketing who are usually not even gamers. Many times, I have been told to change direction by non-gamers who held the keys to my future. Now, I only must please those who are or will be paying for the work!
This is a tragic problem with game development today. Non-gamers try and treat games like any other product, but they can't possibly understand gaming culture without being ingrained.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: What's your favorite video-game of all time that you didn't make?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: My favorite games (in approximate chronological order) are: Myst, Command & Conquer, Warcraft, Medal of Honor, Battlefield 1942, World of Warcraft, Alice, Plants vs Zombies, Kingdom Rush, and recently A Dark Room.
Like most early gamers, your list seems to evolve early with notable titles, and then regress to independent games as the industry grew more commercialized. We should ask Science to look into this.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: In an alternative reality where Origin still exists in its original capacity, which Ultima would you most like to do an 'HD' remake of? And don't say Final Fantasy 7. That's not an Ultima.

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: Ultima IV! Then Ultima VII Then Fix Ultima VIII. Then UO2. We are doing the “spiritual” version of this revamp now!
Okay good. I was afraid you were going to say Final Fantasy 7.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: What is your favorite feature of Shroud of the Avatar, realized or conceptual?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: #1 - Selective Multiplayer, #2 – Really Player Driven Economy, #3 – Virtue Driven Quests and Player Behavior Tests
As a person with a psychology degree, I am always intrigued by behavioral studies. Please tell me you're going to track the data of all players... in a non-creepy way.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: This Texas weather is crazy. That's not really a question.

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: Yes, it is! Don’t visit in July / August. But the rest of the year is usually nice!
As a decendent of a long line of Texan farmers who was born in the heat of July, I got used to the heat. The strange snow flurries in spring are what bother me.

rgintm_zps4d2a1649.png

Miguelito: In a couple of sentences, what would your pitch for SotA be to someone who knows absolutely nothing about you or the Ultima series (god forbid)?

rgint_zps26e441c1.png

Garriott: For the Youngsters in the audience… Shroud of the Avatar is a new type of multiplayer RPG, from the creator of computer RPG’s, the inventor of the term “Avatar” and the creator of the genre of MMORPG’s. While most MMORPG’s are crafted in the style of EQ and WoW, Lord British is leading his team to reinvent RPG’s again, with features like: Selective Multiplayer (from solo player to massively multiplayer), fully realized classless role playing and combat professions backed up by a totally player driven economy and player built towns, encouraged but optional PVP, conversation driven quests without the brain dead trappings of most MMOs (no exclamations over NPCs, no quest log, no arrows on map, no level grinding!
Attention youngsters! You will now support this game.

Thanks again to Lord British for taking the time out of his day to make me feel a LOT more important than we all know I am. If you have any questions or comments, leave them below so I can call you names (as is the custom).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Bonus - an interview with RG: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/nonfiction/interview-richard-garriott/

One of the things that you mentioned is that one of the selling points of the Ultima series are these rich stories and background of the world. Could you talk about what sort of a story you are putting together for Shroud of the Avatar?

Absolutely. In fact, as I reflect on the stories in Ultimas, I’m very proud of the high concept of many of those stories. My critique of my own work is that, while I think I understand the high concept I’m trying to deal with, the main social issues I want to wrestle with in this story, I’m not and was not raised as a professional storyteller. I would like to argue that I am one of the leading storytellers in interactive games, yet I still, as I look at book authors in general, and a few in specific, I don’t see the prose that I wrote or the structure I put to story to be nearly as high-quality as some of them.

So one of the things I did with Shroud of the Avatar is, Day One, we sat down, and I started talking with my dear friend Tracy Hickman, who I’ve admired for thirty-plus years, and we commonly would share stories and have worked together on some small projects, but never on a large project before. So I reached out to Tracy and said, “Hey Tracy, could you/would you be interested and willing to work with us here to craft the story for Shroud of the Avatar?” And he very enthusiastically said yes, and we put that in as one of our Kickstarter goals when we got the project going to have him not only help us internally with the story for Shroud of the Avatar, but also to write a book of the backstory that we’ve been working on together as well, called Blade of the Avatar.

We’re doing Shroud of the Avatar as five episodes. This first episode is called “Forsaken Virtues,” and in this first episode, you-the-player return to the lands of Lord British. It’s been some time since you’ve played together in a world with Lord British, and when you return to this world you find that while Lord British still espouses the Virtues, a great deal of time has passed and the world has sort of moved on and thinks of them as quaint but a bit antiquated, and is now back on the practical business of rebuilding the world in which you have now returned. The game now, in this case, it’s still about virtue, but it allows you to explore virtue in sort of what you could call your own way.

There’s a new force that we call The Oracle, this new advisor that you’ll find regularly reentering the story. I would describe this character as a lot like Aleister Crowley, if you remember Aleister Crowley. He was a witch, he believed, and he believed that you should become the best you that you could be no matter what that you was, and The Oracle is a force of this kind. The Oracle will sit and analyze your behavior, and ask you about the intentions of your behavior, and comment on whether your intentions and your behavior appear to be in line as far as The Oracle can determine by mechanically observing your behaviors in gameplay. So at the end of this first episode, the “Forsaken Virtues” episode, players will emerge with a variety of outcomes. If you think of most storylines in most games, you either win or you don’t, whatever has been scripted by the creators. This first episode is really where you effectively determine your own destiny by your actions in the game.

I’ve read Blade of the Avatar, the sections that have been released so far. One thing that really strikes me is it seems really interesting on a meta level—in the game world you have the fall, and a lot of the old world has been swept away and is now forgotten, and it seems like that parallels the history of the Ultima games and the fall with Electronic Arts, and now coming out of that and rebuilding this new world.

Exactly. In fact, of course you’re picking up on a rhythm which is not accidental. We obviously could not reference any intellectual property of the past, and so we had to sweep it away. Interestingly, if you remember Ultima Nine, the end of Ultima Nineactually ends with, effectively, the destruction of Britannia. It wasn’t even accidental. A little bit of scuttlebutt about the final days of my relationship with EA is, when we didUltima Online, it was the best-selling PC game in Origin and EA history, so obviously that was a big hit. However, EA was not hot on role-playing games in general, especially not medieval style role-playing games. There had been a lot of other failures. There weren’t many fantasy movies coming out. The new Lord of the Rings movies had yet to be envisioned. The most popular movies were The Matrix and things of this nature, and the pressure was on. They were trying to get everybody to quit making men running around in tights because they didn’t think people wanted it anymore, and they really hoped we would go on and make Matrix-type games.

At least for me, it was obvious that Ultima Nine was going to be the end. It was the end of the trilogy of trilogies. I’d been working on it at that point for about twenty-five years. It was obvious that I had lost the support and interest of my publisher. So I said, “Okay, this is really the end.” So I set that story up to sort of wipe the slate clean in some way, and I did, and then I walked away. [It was a] combination of they pushed me out of the company, and I walked away from medieval fantasy for a while.

But in the ten years that have transpired since, I find it very shocking that, first of all, fantasy of course is not dead. I knew it never was. It was just the company that didn’t feel that medieval fantasy was relevant. It’s continued, obviously, to be enormously popular. But no one has really kind of followed in the Ultima mold. No one has followed in the mold of virtues. No one has really followed in the mold of these deep sandbox games where everything is interactive. No one has really taken the RPG roles that you can play as a character and try to make them so deeply interdependent on each other as we did even with Ultima Online.

Over the years, as I kind of gained some distance from Ultima, I began to long, myself, to play or participate in the creation of another Ultima, began to get the pressure from the community to come back and go do that instead of science fiction or whatever else we might do next, and so this was just the right time. To come back full circle about your statement about Blade of the Avatar, Blade of the Avatar is meant to be that bridge. It’s meant to be: Look, we’re not going to reference anything about the past, the past really is gone, but what we’re going to do is, we’re going to start with the old world is gone, and how do we build the new history, the new reality, going forward? The one piece of continuity that we will bring back, that we do own, is Lord British, and so Lord British and the Virtues, which I personally espouse, will continue into the new world.

One feature of this game I’m really looking forward to is that you’re bringing back the text parser. I grew up playing Ultima games and Sierra adventure games where you actually have to type in words, and I’m looking forward to that making a comeback.

Yeah, me too. In fact, it’s interesting, I don’t know if you had a chance to have a good conversation with some of the characters in the game yet, but Scott Jennings, who is our main programmer on this facet of the game, significantly exceeded my hopes and expectations in a way that makes me very happy. I would have been frankly content with something very much like the old school Ultima: Just parse out a keyword one at a time and respond to one thing at a time. What he made instead is that, look, if we’re going to put in a parser at all we might as well put in something that’s a little bit more state of the art, and while it’s still looking for keywords in what you say, it can pull out whole sets of keywords that are presented even in complex sentences. So if you walk up to an empty seat and say, “Hello, I’m Richard Garriott. Your establishment here looks like a pub. If that’s true, what kind of beer do you have for sale? I’d like to buy one.” And it will go and it says, “Oh, hello Richard Garriott.” Since I said my real name, he will now permanently remember my real name. He’ll say, “Why, yes, this is a pub. This is Fire Lotus’ Tavern, and yes, we sell beer. We have twenty-four different types on tap. What would you like?” It actually goes through and responds to each of the keywords that it can pull out of separate sentences along the way in one fell swoop.

In addition, if you say something and the character doesn’t see anything in there it can parse, it records it, and so that sends a mail. Every day Scott and his team get a sweep of what things people have said to the NPCs that the NPCs didn’t understand, and if they look at those and it looks like something that, “Oh, it’s actually reasonable that that character probably should know about that,” then they add it. So our characters are getting smarter and smarter and smarter as time goes on within the game.

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
You're the residential Ultima fan, I think it's more than fitting that a man of your stature bites the bullet tries it out first.

:salute: I wish you luck on your journey!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The horrifying thing is, because I registered on their forums, I was randomly picked to get a free copy of this....

I don't know if that gives me current (alpha/beta) access to it or not?

I should probably give it a try, just to see how bad it is. Though I'd also have to see if there is a NDA on it currently. Of which if there is, then there would be no point.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The horrifying thing is, because I registered on their forums, I was randomly picked to get a free copy of this....

I should probably give it a try, just to see how bad it is. Though I'd also have to see if there is a NDA on it currently. Of which if there is, then there would be no point.

No NDA. As you've seen ITT, people complain about it on Facebook all the time.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Yeah, yeah...you'll play it feverishly day and night then come here and tell everyone how much you hated it. :P

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
11384.png

D:

Now I DID get an e-mail claiming I was given a 45$ pledge reward, that is supposedly credited to my account. I don't know if that allows me current access or not, or even if they did actually credit my account. I guess I'll find out in a few minutes.

EDIT:
"The server is only allowing internal access at this time" :roll:

You can't even play the single player game.... I guess you have to wait unill they announce a specific time when you can play?

EDIT2:
OK reading the e-mails they send you, I have to wait until they have a new version to play and try out. So I have no idea when the fuck that will be happening...

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
EDIT2:
OK reading the e-mails they send you, I have to wait until they have a new version to play and try out. So I have no idea when the fuck that will be happening...

Next Friday...like Grimoire...
:troll:

Zep--

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I first thought it was quite ridiculous, but it reminds me a lot of Ultima IV and V openings. So I guess that's good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom